Severe Underperformance AMD9600 Quad

korkibuchek

Jan 28, 2009
Hello!
I have very poor response and AMD Phenom 9600 benchmarks:

1) WinRAR = 454 w/TLB fix diabled Avg scores for my system 1,100
2) Call Juarez = 30 FPS Avg score = 45

Dont know whats wrong. Could it be a dead core? How can I check?
1) My WinRAR score with the TLB fix enabled is a sickening 80!!! vs 454 disabled. So I am certain that the fix was disabled at my score of 454.

2)Regarding number of active cores:
a) When I run task manager I see only ONE window for CPU in performance.
b) Running CPU-Z V1.49 shows ONE Processor ONE Core
c) CrystalCUPID V 4.15 shows only ONE of One cores (Code name Agena?) I should see 1/FOUR
d) ) SpeedFan shows Core3 at -128C) Is it dead?
e) Vista sidebar Gadget Multi-Meter Q (Tiny meter in center of pic Shows ONE core Max''d. I was Never able to see Any Activity by Any of the other cores)
f) CPUz which shows at bottom Selection is Greyed Out at Processor 1, fine, I have only 1 BUT it also shows only ONE core.

I also ran a prog to Change the Number of Processors (& Cores in Duo's & Quads) in Vista Boot Up. Using msconfig I got to System/Config/Boot/Advanced where I should be able to select the number of Processors or Cores, it is Grayed Out at One and I Can Not check the # of Processors.

I think I have a REAL Problem here. help
Thank You, John

My Setup:
CPU Name : AMD Phenom X4 (Agena)9600 Quad-Core
Platform : Socket AM2/AM2+ Physical Core : 4
Clock : 2300.00 MHz

L1 I-Cache : 64 KB
L1 D-Cache : 64 KB
L2 Cache : 512 KB [Full:2300.14 MHz]
L3 Cache : 2048 KB
Memory : 3327 MB

North Bridge : 780G South Bridge : SB700
Video Chip :ATI Radeon HD 3870

BIOS Vendor : American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version : GATEWA - 20080218
BIOS Date : 02/18/2008
SM BIOS Caption : 7B3G1P04
SM BIOS Version : 2.5
Mother Vendor : Gateway
Mother Product : Foxconn
Mother Version : Piece of Junk
System Vendor : Gateway
System Model : GT5676
BIOS ROM Size : 1024 KB
Mother Vendor : Gateway

Foxconn considers the MB a 3rd party item and have no plans for support. I'll never buy retail again. Thanks, John

I have run a multitude of programs that indicate problems. The attached image displays results from:
I Believe I have a Bum Quad-Core.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Try a fresh install and CPUz first...that should tell you if it's hardware or software.

Also, why is your memory at 3327 MB? Seems like an odd amount...

OCedHrt

Oct 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Viditor
Try a fresh install and CPUz first...that should tell you if it's hardware or software.

Also, why is your memory at 3327 MB? Seems like an odd amount...

Probably 32 bit Os with 4 GB ram.

Are you running Vista? I have an issue w/ my X3 Phenom where occasionally, it boots up with Windows only detecting 1 core. Rebooting fixes it for me, but this may indicate a bios/cpu compatibility issue.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: korkibuchek
Thanks,
Fresh install OF?
I Ran CPUz shows only 1 Processor and One core

Fresh Install of Windows...so that there is no chance that you have a driver messing things up

dbcooper1

May 22, 2008
You could just boot from a Linux live CD without disturbing your OS to see if it detects the CPU correctly.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
havent messed with with AMD boards in a long time, but from my experiance with the intel boards, is there a setting in the bios for multi-core being enabled? i know all the intel boards I have dealt with have that setting to be enabled or disabled.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
If your only seeing 1 core out of 4 in windows, then open the device manager. Under the list "Computer" make sure that the proper driver has been setup.

Mainly, make sure that it reads ACPI Multi-Processor PC. It could be possible that the Uni-Processor driver is installed and is why you only see a single core/thread.

So just try that and see if its fixes the problem or not. :)

Jason

korkibuchek

Jan 28, 2009
Hello Everyone,
I did a clean re-install of Vista and now get comparable test scores with published results.
In addition, I Now see all 4 cores in CPU-z, Task Manager, m-CPU Vista Gadget....

I Really did not want to send PC back to Gateway. They Did provide me with a Return Authorization so at least they were willing to look under the hood.

FYI my scores: WinRAR Benchamark = 1,085, 3DMARK06 = 10, 300.

Thanks Again to ALL!
John

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: korkibuchek
~~snip~~

Foxconn considers the MB a 3rd party item and have no plans for support. I'll never buy retail again. Thanks, John

No vendor will support OEM hardware - that responsibility rests solely with Gateway, Dell, HP, etc ... not Foxconn, Asus, NEC, Hitachi, etc

Glad you found and repaired the problem.