Several thousand truckers head to Washington D.C. to shut it down

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I heard about this a couple weeks ago and dismissed it as not happening. Well, Fox news just said it is. Apparently, there are several thousand pissed off truckers aiming to clog up Washington D.C. 10/11 - 10/13

This ought to be an interesting act of civil disobedience. Hope it ends peacefully!

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
*Sets reminder to buy popcorn*

I will go ahead and say it won't happen, or there will only be a few trucks that end up showing up and wind up not disrupting anything

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

I will go ahead and say it won't happen, or there will only be a few trucks that end up showing up and wind up not disrupting anything

Others have done it. Like in 1978 the Farmers on Tractors. http://www.nebraskastudies.org/1000...braskastudies.org/1000/stories/1001_0102.html

The year after the first strike, the American Agriculture Movement decided to take their demands and their tractors to Washington DC. They were demanding a revision of the 1977 Farm Bill. They argued that the bill encouraged large scale production, but did not guarantee of high enough prices to keep small farms in business. The AAM emphasized rallies and protests against the political system.

A protest rally in the nation's capital was planned for January, 1978, which would bring a nationwide focus to the organization and the strike. Nearly 3,000 farmers drove their tractors into town on the interstate highways. Many had traveled across the country to get to the rally. Along the way, many protesters stopped in local congressional offices in order to explain their position.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

I think you're probably right, but from time to time truckers do in fact engage in stuff like this. It's extremely rude and disrespectful and I am always inclined to side with whomever they are opposed to. I think it is an essential rudeness to force others into your protest and/or do it in ways that substantially interrupts what they are doing.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think you're probably right, but from time to time truckers do in fact engage in stuff like this. It's extremely rude and disrespectful and I am always inclined to side with whomever they are opposed to. I think it is an essential rudeness to force others into your protest and/or do it in ways that substantially interrupts what they are doing.

I would agree with you normally, but in this instance, if it interrupts congress, who are essentially doing nothing, well.....nothing gets interrupted. ;)

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
I would agree with you normally, but in this instance, if it interrupts congress, who are essentially doing nothing, well.....nothing gets interrupted. ;)

A trucker shutdown to protest the government shutdown?

Does that make this a recursive shutdown?

Just wondering.
Uno

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I was just contemplating the military taking over the war memorials or the entire Mall area in DC. A few thousand marines could get her done. I Remember when I was a kid we sent to see the drill team at the memorial where they are raising the flag in DC. It is something to see a precision drill team tossing their rifles.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I was just contemplating the military taking over the war memorials or the entire Mall area in DC. A few thousand marines could get her done. I Remember when I was a kid we sent to see the drill team at the memorial where they are raising the flag in DC. It is something to see a precision drill team tossing their rifles.
The .gov would shit a brick if that were to happen. Homeland might find some use for all those hollow points other than "target practice".

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005

Isn't the point of protesting to cause a scene and or an inconvenience? Doesn't do much good to stand in the woods and yell at the trees now does it?