Seventy-six degrees.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
LoL! Drinking season's definitely here. I don't know what I'm gonna do for exercise when my tree's cut up. I'm thinking it'll be done this year. I might play around on the boss' farm. Get everything cleaned up. There's a bunch of EAB killed ash that should come down; a couple have potential to cross drives, and make it a pita if they come down under their own accord. Also a shit ton of vines. I fucking hate vines. Parasites that slowly bring down their betters. Like politicians :^P

Anyway, point is it's something constructive that'll keep my ass moving. I'm stuck at ~225#. I'd like to be 200#, but I'm cool with what I have for the thought I put into it(almost none), but drinking season puts on the pounds.

It is insane what vines can do. I used to live in the redwoods in coastal California and people planted English ivy all over the place as erosion deterrent and landscaping. It can clime and choke out a 200+ ft redwood. We cut some off a redwood tree and it had vines that were 6 inches across at the bottom. Couldn't even get it off the tree without tearing all the bark off because the vines were squeezed so tight to it they had embedded themselves in the soft outer bark.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
It is insane what vines can do. I used to live in the redwoods in coastal California and people planted English ivy all over the place as erosion deterrent and landscaping. It can clime and choke out a 200+ ft redwood. We cut some off a redwood tree and it had vines that were 6 inches across at the bottom. Couldn't even get it off the tree without tearing all the bark off because the vines were squeezed so tight to it they had embedded themselves in the soft outer bark.
Kudzu is king here.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
English ivy is one of the vines on my property. I think it came from my right hand original neighbor(not the ones there now). The trick with that is to cut it at the bottom, and leave it on whatever it's stuck to. As it dies, it'll release it's grip, and you can let it rot off, or pull it down. Less destructive that way, but it takes time.