Seventeen Or Bust: Shameless Recruiting Follow-Up Thread

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Saw the shameless recruiting thread and are interested in Seventeen or Bust?

Need more answers, or got any questions to ask? If so, please post here, and we will do our best to answer your questions and queries as soon as humanly possible!!

I would like to ask that there is no flaming of either this project, or any others, we are all here together, we are all part of one TeAm, please bear that in mind :)

Ask away!! :)

Garry

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Can i come back?

:heart:
rose.gif
:eek:

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: DannyBoy
Can i come back?

rose.gif

You might want to sort out your heat problems first, i'll take a look next time i'm around :)

Garry

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Here's one for ya. One of the computers I have running SB Ver. 1.1.0 is on 18 hours/day. It is running WinXP and runs on all user accounts. But of those 18 hours, a user is only logged on for about 6 of those hours.
Is there any way to continue having the client run while the users are logged off and the computer is still running?
Or is that computer stuck with 12 hours of wasted cycles?

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
There sure is. The service handler will happily run the client in the background when no users are logged in. I do this myself :)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Yep, the Service handler is designed for this :)

From a command prompt, browse (CD) to C:\Program Files\SB and run the following:
sobsvc -i (this installs the service)
sobsvc -. (replace . with those parameters described in the ReadMeNT file)
net start "Seventeen or Bust Service" (make sure you use the " otherwise it won't work! Otherwise, go to Computer Management and start the service manually)

If you don't want the icon to ever show, go to Computer Management (right-click on My Computer on desktop and Manage) and Services, then find the Seventeen or Bust service, and go to it's Properties, then the Log On tab, then uncheck "Allow service to interact with desktop"

Garry

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Is that a "." as in sobsvc-. to have the client run when the users are logged off?

I quaddrupple checked that ReadMeNt file and I still can not find the sobsvc- command that has the client run when users are logged off.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: SinfulWeeper
Is that a "." as in sobsvc-. to have the client run when the users are logged off?

I quaddrupple checked that ReadMeNt file and I still can not find the sobsvc- command that has the client run when users are logged off.

The . was to mean "substitute this with one of the other options you want to use" cos I couldn't use x as the "replace me with something" letter because x = true idle, s = restart stuck clients, etc :)

Installing it as a service will make it run when users are logged off anyway..that's it's job, that's what it does :)

Garry

CaptianAburrr

Sep 23, 2003
I use the following commands in order to setup my clients.. they work great!

sobsvc -i <-- installs it
sobsvc -m <--- monitors and restarts if it fails for any reason
sobsvc -s <--- restarts stalled clients
sobsvc -r:500 <--- restarts service at 5 am everyday

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Originally posted by: Confused
Can i come back?

rose.gif

You might want to sort out your heat problems first, i'll take a look next time i'm around :)

Garry

The sooner the better ;) :p

My house is so boring with a humane person in it
rolleye.gif

Oh hang on, my mum, shes nowhere near humane :confused:

Anyway, on a side note to everyone, I am considering writing a new installer and re-coding the service handler, so that the variables can be configured at the initial setup in a more user friendly way.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in me doing this, and I will grab the source :D

Dan

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
DannyBoy, you have my full support :)

OK :)

Garry, would you mind helping out with this?

If you could send me a zip of the source, the service handler etc I will get to work on it :)

As you have the most experience in this I would like you to send me everything you feel appropriate to have in the installer :)

Toodles :)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000

If you could send me a zip of the source, the service handler etc I will get to work on it :)

As you have the most experience in this I would like you to send me everything you feel appropriate to have in the installer :)

1 slight problem, I have no source for the SB executable and the service handler.

:p

Garry

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Originally posted by: Confused

1 slight problem, I have no source for the SB executable and the service handler.

:p

Garry

Now im sure if you asked louis nicely he would say sure thing to you ;)