Seven Japanese chipmakers to challenge Intel, AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
I don't see how. Dunnington does not have hyperthreading. It is a penryn-derived architecture with 6 cores, and the fastest dunnington is 2.66 GHz. Each processor will provide about 70-80 gflop at that speed. so you're looking at 160 for 12 dunnington cores.

So that's ~160 gigaflops from 12 cores at ~260 watts. meanwhile power7 can do 260 gflop with a single 8-core chip at ~100 W, and they are developing 2-chip MCMs. greater-than 400% improvement in flops-per-watt with power7.

source:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inq...on-benchmarked-windows

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I would imagine for their cpu to have the "success" of an Intel, then it would need to be able to run Windows.

only reason for that is because currently most games are windows exclusive. You would be toppling MS And Intel at a single blow.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I would imagine for their cpu to have the "success" of an Intel, then it would need to be able to run Windows.

That, or it would need to enable a competing OS to become as widely successful as windows.

Someone who is keen to take on Microsoft. Think Google.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: betasub

That, or it would need to enable a competing OS to become as widely successful as windows.

Yeah, but they're not Japanese.
It's time for... wait for it... ... ... Joogle!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: magreen
Originally posted by: betasub

Yeah, but they're not Japanese.
It's time for... wait for it... ... ... Joogle!

An Israeli search engine?