Setting up X-COM: UFO Defense

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
In the other thread, someone was asking about getting XCOM running in Windows 7. The short answer is that you can run it just fine using DOSBox. The only changes I do is I edit the dosbox.conf file so that the full screen resolution is my native resolution, the windowed resolution is something reasonably large enough to use, "output" is set to overlay for this to work, "aspect" is set to true since I have a widescreen resolution, and finally "scaler" is set to none because I like the original blocky look. Finally, the default CPU settings are a bit slow when I run it. To get the game running smoothly, I set "cycles" to "auto limit 10000". Normally the limit is set to 8000. But you don't want to set it too high because then the game clock and animations run too fast.

But, in case you didn't know, there is also another way of doing it. For those of you that have purchased XCOM off of Steam, you may have noticed that it includes two versions.

It has the 1.2 patched DOS version and the later released X-COM Gold Collector's version that was meant to be run in Windows 95. So for 95 and XP the Gold version should run but it won't run for later versions of Windows supposedly because of the changes to DirectX. So why bother? Patches and corrections, the biggest offender being that in the DOS version there is a bug that can reset your difficulty level to "Beginner" regardless of how you chose to run the game. The Windows version does not have this problem. So I set about this evening to get the Windows version and here is pretty much how I got it running with a number of bug fixes to the game.

1. First you will need the UFO Extender, which can be found and explained in detail here: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76

Just download the zip file and unzip it in your "XCOM" folder. It simply is a memory resident loader that will apply the fixes and mods that you choose. This is done by editing the "UFOExtender.ini" file.

By default, the UFO Extender is setup to run the Windows version with its original settings. But to get it to work in later versions of Windows, you need to set the "D3D" setting to 1. In addition, go ahead and set all of the bug values to "1". Also set "Scale Mouse" to "1" to prevent the mouse cursor from running off the screen. Some of these fix gameplay bugs but others fix the broken sounds in the intro, the fast scrolling on the tactical map, and the superfast animation cycles (like the arrow indicating the selected character on the tactical map).

Also, you need to set "Screen Ratio" to correct your aspect ratio. I think that when it is set to "1" that is for a 4:3 aspect ratio like 800x600. If you have a widescreen, you need to find the appropriate reduction. For example, I have a 1920x1080 screen. The 4:3 ratio is 1440x1080, so 1920/1440 = 1.333333333. Using this value for Screen Ratio seems to give me the correct aspect ratio. This is the only thing I am muddled upon and I have not found explicit instructions. But the aspect ratio looks correct when I compare it to the DOSBox result.

2. The run time on the Geoscape is still too fast. I used this patched executable to fix that problem: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242035086

This still works with UFO Extender.

3. Another set of minor fixes with for the maps were found here: http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=677

4. Finally, the one gameplay adjustment that I did allow myself was to use the Playstation soundtrack. If you want to do this, download all the tracks into a directory called "MP3" that you place in the "XCOM" folder. The 12 tracks can be found here: http://www.xcomufo.com/x1music.html

Then, in the ini file for the UFO Extender, under the "[MUSIC]" heading, set "Apply" to 1.

So after all this I can run the windows version with a number of fixes without any changes to the way the game actually plays. For the short time that I have played it, it runs just as well as the DOSBox version and perhaps a bit smoother. There are no speedups that we have to deal with in terms of the game's run time or animations.

Oh, one more thing. One of the mods in the UFO Extender is the ability to open doors. Suck it Terror From the Deep!

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Good guide. :thumbsup:

For those new to the game (like myself) here's another guide that I found useful.
Link to Steam Forums

That one has the Combo Patch and UFO Extender like I used. But they have some non-standard options set in the UFO Extender ini and they also include a Voices Patch which I am not familiar with. The Voices Patch is supposed to use sounds from the older X-Com versions. Don't know what that means. I recall reading that the 1.4 patch messed up some of the sounds. So I don't know if this is supposed to correct version 1.4 in DOS or is it supposed to replace sounds for the Windows version. Also, my instructions include how to fix the Geoscape timing which this version does not have (although they do have a different executable to start the game).

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Screen ratio 1 seems to be fullscreen stretched 16:10. Values below 1 add letterboxing and values above one add vertical bars. I'm not really sure what appropriate values to maintain the original aspect would be. 1.6 makes it too squished.

Edit: I think 1.33333 might be original? I'll probably just play fullscreen, it actually looks okay.

Any idea why clip cursor wouldn't be working in full screen?

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Also, do you know what this means?

"Keep Base Navigation Modules: do not remove navigation controls from recovered items after a successful base assault."

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The Steam version of the game runs 100% fine with no tweaking (for me, at least).

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Screen ratio 1 seems to be fullscreen stretched 16:10. Values below 1 add letterboxing and values above one add vertical bars. I'm not really sure what appropriate values to maintain the original aspect would be. 1.6 makes it too squished.

Edit: I think 1.33333 might be original? I'll probably just play fullscreen, it actually looks okay.

Any idea why clip cursor wouldn't be working in full screen?

Clip cursor is for when running in the windowed mode. I think it keeps you from moving the cursor out of the window. But for fullscreen when running the D3D option you need to activate "Scale Mouse." I'm not sure what the original aspect ratio is supposed to be. Apparently, the original resolution is 320x200. If you use 4:3, then the geoscape looks stretched but other images look correct. *shrug* I just account for it to be 4:3 (which seems to be what DOSBox runs it as( which is 1.33333 for my 16:9 resolution.

Also, do you know what this means?

"Keep Base Navigation Modules: do not remove navigation controls from recovered items after a successful base assault."

I don't know what it means either. The readme states, "You can keep the Navigation Modules when you win a base assault." I guess they mean navigation equipment is taken from enemy bases.

The Steam version of the game runs 100% fine with no tweaking (for me, at least).

Yeah, but the one bad thing about the DOS version is that it has a bug that resets the difficulty to beginner. The Windows version doesn't have this.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah, but the one bad thing about the DOS version is that it has a bug that resets the difficulty to beginner. The Windows version doesn't have this.

I'm retarded and didn't read the entire thread. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna install those patches right now.

NTAC

May 21, 2003
You should use the UFO extender though, because then you can turn some things on that the original game would not allow, most importantly, the ability to open the doors with right mouse click as opposed to having to walk through the door to do it.

That ability was implemented in the second XCOM, TFTD, but now you can get it in the original XCOM with the extender.

Also you want to get the music and audio from the Playstation version of hte game, since its CD quality as opposed to the old PC version.

Oh I think the extender also allows you many more smoke grenades per map... after a while in the old x-com smoke woudln't show up because of the limitation.

Its been a while but I'm pretty sure that is correct.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I believe there's a bug in UFO: Enemy Defense (or UFO: Enemy Unknown as it's known in the UK), at least I've encountered it several times:

When you get to a point that you have several large UFOs all present on the map, do not try to ground assault any of them. If you do, there's a very good chance that once you've finished the assault and go back to the map view, within seconds it'll take you back to the start of the ground assault and basically get caught in a loop.

The issue is avoidable, I just save when I see several UFOs at once and then wait until a few disappear and ground assault one then. You can send aircraft after UFOs, just don't ground assault them.

The issue isn't dosbox related, it seems to be just on hardware which is significantly newer than the 486 (I think I started seeing it on a P3-550). I've also seen it happen on dosbox.

Last edited:

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
IIRC, the bug happened if you did a mission while your other aircraft was actively intercepting another UFO. You had to temporarily abort intercepting to finish the mission and then intercept again.

It had quite a few annoying and sometimes inexcusable bugs, research tree was especially annoying since some stuff had to be researched in a particular order and you could even end up in a state where you can't finish the game, and it could be months before that you screwed up.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Just got nailed with an odd bug. On the assign soldiers to the Skyranger screen, clicking the soldier takes me to that soldier's stats page instead of turning the line white and assigning him to the craft. Reloading does not fix the problem.

bchristian83

May 16, 2012
Just got nailed with an odd bug. On the assign soldiers to the Skyranger screen, clicking the soldier takes me to that soldier's stats page instead of turning the line white and assigning him to the craft. Reloading does not fix the problem.

Instead of clicking the soldier's name, click on him/her in the next column to the right. This appears to be a feature ;)

now...for the reason I registered :)...i noticed under UFOextender that I have trouble scrolling in the battlescape...the mouse gets stuck at the edge of the screen from time to time about 1/2 a tile away from where it would start to scroll...jerking the mouse a few times is a workaround, but it's kinda annoying...anyone else have this issue or know of a fix?

thanks!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
am i the only one that used a hex editor to give myself practically unlimited money back in the day?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
am i the only one that used a hex editor to give myself practically unlimited money back in the day?

You didn't need a hex editor to do that... secret manufacturing base in Hawaii cranking out laser cannons!

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Instead of clicking the soldier's name, click on him/her in the next column to the right. This appears to be a feature ;)

now...for the reason I registered :)...i noticed under UFOextender that I have trouble scrolling in the battlescape...the mouse gets stuck at the edge of the screen from time to time about 1/2 a tile away from where it would start to scroll...jerking the mouse a few times is a workaround, but it's kinda annoying...anyone else have this issue or know of a fix?

thanks!

In the UFOExtender.ini file, set "Scale Mouse" to "1" to prevent the mouse cursor from running off the screen. What may be happening is that your mouse is moving beyond the borders of the screen and you have to jerk it around to bring it back. Using the scale mouse setting should fix this problem, it did for me.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010

I didn't do that, but I did edit the grenades to do 255 damage, on some of the terror missions I blindly threw grenades into the darkness.

Jamezilla

Oct 9, 2012
The Extender is GREAT, but only worked once for me. I saved my game and when I came back the options will not load. I have tried reloading XCOM-Gold several times, reloading VS shell, C++ runtime. I have even tried older versions of the extender to no avail.

Anyone have ideas on what might be the problem?
running Win7 Home Premium x64

aefi

Oct 19, 2012
Hello there..
I decided to revisit my old game collection and when i run the game i have a problem with scrolling during combats. Even if i set scroll speed at 1 every time i touch border of the screen scroll takes me all the way to the end of the map in an instant.
Would above manipulations fix the problem? and is there way to turn off the music but leave sounds?

Forensicman

Mar 23, 2013
Help! when I run the games' exe file I get a blank black screen with a beeping sound. I'm assuming that I need to set the graphics, but how do I do that? My monitor has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and I'm running Windows 7(32 bit).
Any assistance would be gratefully received.