Setting up wireless connected network printer

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Installing my new Brother HL-5470DW today I was given the choice of doing it peer-to-peer networking or shared network printer. The default was the former and the info I found suggested that peer-to-peer was the way to go, otherwise it appeared that a specific machine would need to be on all the time for my other machines to be able to print to this printer. The printer itself support connecting wirelessly, by ethernet or USB, but where I have it is around 50 feet from my Asus RT-N66R router, so I figured I'd connect to the router wirelessly. I set this up by making the driver/software installation of the printer using one of my wirelessly connected laptops. From that laptop I can now print to the printer fine (wirelessly) but my other machines don't see the printer. Opening up the Asus router config utility I see the printer as a client on the network but the router doesn't see any printers.

Any clue how I can set things up here so the other machines see the network printer? The Find Printer wizard in Windows doesn't see it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wound up having to install from the driver/install disk supplied by Brother to each of the machines individually. Didn't think I was going to have to do that. The instructions are so multifaceted depending on your configuration/OSs that it's difficult to determine how to proceed. Anyway, 4 of my 5 PCs can not print to the printer wirelessly and I'll give the last one a try (it's Windows 2000!) later, although it's seldom used and I haven't printed from it for many years, so it's no big deal.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
should be able to just add a print port on the computer pointing to the ip of the printer. You of course would need the driver files on each computer, especially on older OSes.