Setting up small business website for the first time. Where to start?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The small structural engineering firm that I work for is in the process of setting up our company website. Thanks to RossMAN, we've got a great hosting deal and currently have our domain up and running.

Most of the responsibility of the "coding" of the website will fall on my shoulders. My boss and others are working toward coming up with a general layout and content of the site, but most of the HTML and graphic work will be mine.

I've done simple HTML work in the past, but have no experience in CSS, scripting, etc.

We are trying to come up with a professional looking website, but we don't need alot of eye candy. I foresee a simple layout that incorporates a description of the type of services we offer and photos of the work we've done.

What would be the best route to take - starting from scratch or finding a template that we like and modifing it to suite our needs?

Currently we are looking at Dreamweaver but wonder if it's "too much" for the rather simple webpage. What other editors would you recommend?

As always, all advice, links, and points in the right direction are welcome... :D

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Unless you expect a ton of information to be put on there, I would just buy a template that looks decent.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Also, assuming I design the website from scratch, any good books that are recommended?