Setting up RAID on an MSI w/ on-board controller.

aa_koch

Jan 10, 2001
I am posting this for a friend of mine, who recently purchased an MSI K7T mainboard. (I don't know the exact model number, but it has the VIA KT133 chipset.) This board comes with an on-board RAID controller (HPT370?), and he bought two 30GB Maxtor drives that he wants use for this purpose. Now the problem is that he doesn't have experience setting up a RAID system, and neither do I. (And he asked me to help him. :)) Can anyone tell me how to go about in setting up a RAID 0 system, or link to a website that explains how to do this under Windows 98SE? I assume it's not a matter of conecting two HDs to the controller, then installing Windows 98SE -- it can't be that simple. :)

Furthermore, I am interested in setting up a RAID configuration myself, but have decided not to buy a mainboard with an on-board controller. (I have an ASUS A7V.) Instead, I'd rather buy a Promise FastTrack or similar when time comes, because I heard a few things about the HPT370 controller that made me decide not to buy a mobo with on-board RAID controller. Is there anything against using the on-board controller, or do they perform equally good as PCI RAID cards? And when I use a PCI card instead of an on-board controller, is it easier to set up? (Like, are there interfaces on the card that I hook them up to, which makes it easier to install?)

Thanks in advance!

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
RAID on the MSI is NOT the dreaded Highpoint Controller (I don't know what it was, but it didn't wok for me). MSI uses the Promise. Works a lot better than the Highpoint, or maybe it was Abit?

Anyhow, install both of the drives set to master, one on each of the IDE #3 and IDE #4 spots. Red stripe to the #1 pin on the board (blue connector end), the other to the drives (red stripe towards power supply). On boot, it'll show the Promise screen. Hit ctrl+f to enter it. use option 1 to have it walk you through the RAID setup. ctrl+y to save your new settings and restart.

Now you're on like normal - you have a giant drive that needs to be partitioned and formatted via whatever you normally do.

RTFM!

Read the manual, it walks you through it.

aa_koch

Jan 10, 2001
Sounds easy enough -- thanks!

As for RTFM... he bought it "cheap," so there isn't one. :)

aa_koch

Jan 10, 2001
Ugh... how stupid of me not to think of that myself. :)

Thanks, Steve! And you of course, too, tracerbullet! ;)

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I thought Promise used the highpoint controller anyway, tracerbullet?