Setting up new system...

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Does BIOS run at 100% CPU?
I've been in BIOS for the past almost 2 hours now.

Temps are 61, 60, 57, and 58 respectively for Core 0, 1, 2, and 3 according to Gigabyte BIOS.
If these are not full load temps then that certainly would be horrible.
Is a 4 degree difference between the cores normal or would I need to remount the heatsink and apply thermal paste again?
I'm running an i7 860(stock) with Megahalem(2x 1800RPM Gentletyphoon) inside a HAF 932 if that helps.

Why have I been in BIOS for 2 hours?
Because I just discovered the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 promotional disk sent to me by Microsoft last week through UPS isn't bootable.
The 32bit I recieved at their event was however but I refuse to install it since I have 8GB RAM.

I'm still in bios on desktop waiting while downloading the 64bit version on a laptop...

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
I don't know if the BIOS is 100% CPU, but it's certainly not idle. My CPU (Phenom II 965) idles at 28C and under load hits about 55C, and the BIOS usually reports around 40C.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
bios puts some load on the cpu.

But its not 100% load. Not even close to it.

Why have I been in BIOS for 2 hours?
Because I just discovered the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 promotional disk sent to me by Microsoft last week through UPS isn't bootable.
The 32bit I recieved at their event was however but I refuse to install it since I have 8GB RAM.

I'm still in bios on desktop waiting while downloading the 64bit version on a laptop...

LOL

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Something's surely wrong with the temps...
Real Temp shows them at 58C idle which is kinda high(worse than stock cooler?), but when I load LinX, the temps jump to 99C after 9 seconds and I stop the test prematurely.

Granted the case is open but I don't think that would affect the temps that much.
Great, now I have to reseat the heatsink and attempt to troubleshoot tomorrow.

MisterDonut

Dec 8, 2009
I had some pretty horrible temps after installing a TRUE on my q9550 (stock too!). Temps were actually higher than with the Intel HSF. Reseating it and reapplying the thermal paste fixed it for the most part.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Is it possible to boot off one disk, but carry out the install from another? Just curious.

AFAIK, BIOS temps are far higher than OS idle because of the absence of HLT commands.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Something's surely wrong with the temps...
Real Temp shows them at 58C idle which is kinda high(worse than stock cooler?), but when I load LinX, the temps jump to 99C after 9 seconds and I stop the test prematurely.

Granted the case is open but I don't think that would affect the temps that much.
Great, now I have to reseat the heatsink and attempt to troubleshoot tomorrow.

ahh the joys of building.. LOL...

Be thankful your not watering, and something isnt starting up because u shorted something by mounting a waterblock improperly. :p

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
something is surely wrong. That mega with the cpu@stock should be at 28c, not 58c. I would check the paste, and the mounting. Remember, you only want the thinest layer of paste !

Also, what is the vcore in bios ? maybe its defaulting wrong. I have mine at 1.3125 and 3.9 (195x20) and it 68c, but thats 100% load WITH HT, Same cooler. Idles at 28.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Tried the MS bootable USB tool yet on that x64 disc? It might work.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
After checking, there's a light patch in the center that looks like nothing is there at all with paste all near the edges...The paste seemed a bit dry...
What probably caused this was that I had my whole computer already setup(CPU/heatsink/paste applied with everything plugged and attached) since Friday but didn't turn it on until Yesterday when I recieved my second set of RAM sticks. I didn't want to take out the old one due to RAM clearance issues and having to reseat the heatsink so I use left the computer there for 4 days just sitting there without pushing the on button even once.

I re-applied the paste using the line method on Arctic Silver's website for i7 Quad core instead of the usual method of putting a pea sized in the middle and twisting the cooler around or spreading with a credit card. I just drew a line and slapped the cooler on.
The temps were at 29C before I started LinX, but now they're sitting at 33C idle.

It's nice to see my Typhoons controlling themselves without the need for me to buy a stupid manual fan controller that you have to turn the knobs when the system can do this for me.
I honestly didn't expect what I did for the fans to work, but it did with interesting modification.

mhwwb5.png

A few questions...
1.) The +12v shows 4.03v and reguarly drops to around 4 or 5v. Is that PWM at work or is that an inaccurate reading due to Corsair HX750 PSU having "multiple" 12v rails?(I don't know if it does or not, just speculation)

2.) The Typhoons are the 1850RPM versions...While running LinX, the max they got to as you can see was 1436RPM. Is that PWM at work again even with the CPU at 100% load? Only way to test is to overclock to 4GHz and test running LinX again I assume which I haven't done yet? PWM works based on temps, right? If so, what are the thresholds? such as: If 30C, then 50% fan speed; If 50C, then 80% fan speed; etc...
At idle(32-33C), fan is spinning at 1226RPM which shows something is working at least.

3.) At idle, the multiplier is 22x which is wierd. It should either be the default 21x or even less since all the power saving settings are enabled. Everything in BIOS is on auto or default. The only thing changed was enabling XMP and PCIe graphics. All the power savings stuff were enabled when I checked. Gigabyte mobo.

4.) Does the idle temps still seem high? Keep in mind the case is still open with the side panels off. There is an intake fan on the left side panels that blows directly to the CPU heatsink which is on but not facing the case because the panels are off. Also, keep in mind the multiplier issue above meaning it's technically not running at stock.

5.) The hardest part of all now might be cable management. Too much wires sticking around. I think instead of plugging my case fans all to one cable, I'll just plug them into different cables. That would increase the number of wires, but reduce clutter because each wire will now be at the bottom rather than a single wire dangling left and right all over the place. I also have an IDE BenQ DVD burner with a Nexperia chipset but I can't get rid of it because it seems most of the burners nowadays are either crap or meh...I wasn't one of the lucky people who got the SATA versions.

6.) I feel bold and want to touch the fins of my Mega heatsink to feel how hot it is however I don't want to be the next recipient of the Darwin award...Can I get electrocuted from doing this? :tongue;

Tomorrow is a long day for me (9am-9pm shift) and I work Friday morning again so I may not have time to tinker with things. I should be in bed now actually if I don't want to end up looking like a zombie tomorrow.