Setting up My Own Internet Forum

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Fellas,

is there a site out there that allows you to setup a free internet forum, or even for a little bit of money? I currently have a private group of us posting in a Yahoo group, which actually has a bunch of features that are nice, but is overall a sloppy system. Threads are hard to follow, administration is a nightmare, and things just get lost.

I'd love to setup a forum that at least has the appearance like AT, but is also pretty easy to setup.

Ideas?

I'd like it to be free, but wouldn't mind paying if it was very easy to setup and looks very nice with some features.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
There are lots of free forum software choices out there; phpBB and Invision come to mind, Invision being the best I think. They both resemble AT to some extent.

They are incredibly easy to set up. However you will need a web host that supports PHP. I think there are plans that start at $4 a month or $10 a year (rossman, which one was that?) that support PHP. Becuase you set it up, you can configure anything and I'm willing to bet that the hosting is cheaper than any preconfigured forum site.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
1and1.com free account

Agreed you get 500MB disk space and 5GB per month bandwidth for free, this !!! EXPIRES TODAY !!!

1and1.com

Then you can install InvisionBoard or phpBB which are free forum software packages.

PlanetHZL.com and yagt.org use InvisionBoard, awesome software for FREE.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
For free, I like phpBB. Even someone with no PHP experience can walk themselves through setting it all up. There is a great community out there that provides excellent support. Not only that, but there are also lots of free bolt on to customize your forum to suit your tastes. Adul's forums at http://www.swforums.com uses it. He installed the "Shop Mod" where members can "buy" things with points gathered from posts, responses, and other stuff.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Sifl
what do you want to use it for?
just using it exactly like here, Giggly, or yagt.org

Forums, polls, pictures... that sort of thing

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
This forum uses Fusetalk, which you probably won`t consider when you see the price tag.

But phpBB, Invisionboard, and many others are free and easy to use.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
How does this work exactly?

- i signed up for 1and1.com (my webhost)
- i assume i have to register a domain name
- download the InvisionBoard software that you claim is free

What do I do with that software? Install it on my machine? Do I need a dedicated server? This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to this whole forum-setting up thing

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
You upload the forum software to you webhost and run the install script from your browser. It will have instructions on what to do.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Spooner
How does this work exactly?

- i signed up for 1and1.com (my webhost)
- i assume i have to register a domain name
- download the InvisionBoard software that you claim is free

What do I do with that software? Install it on my machine? Do I need a dedicated server? This is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to this whole forum-setting up thing

1) It's a good idea to have a domain. If you don't already have a domain purchase one from namecheap.com or godaddy.com It's not REQUIRED for 1and1 free web hosting but unless you want a long ugly ass URL, trust me fork over the $9 and buy a domain.

2) Sign up for 1and1 free web hosting which you have already done.

3) You will need to learn the control panel and how to update your account with your domain, read this thread for instructions on that.

4) Download InvisionBoard Final 1.3 (FREE) to your computers hard drive.

5) Unzip it.

6) FTP the unzipped folders to your 1and1 free web hosting account Read the installation instructions.

-or-

If you can afford a whopping $9.99/yr web hosting you can get a better web hosting account which comes with cPanel control panel. Why do you care? Because 1and1's control panel is slow and sucks.

cPanel comes with a FREE autoinstaller with forum software. This means no downloading, no unzipping, no FTP'ing, just takes 2 clicks and your forums are automatically installed.

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Thanks RossMan, I may just go with RippleHost. I'm looking for ease of use over monetary savings. ($10/yr is nothing)

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'd go InvisionBoard without a doubt. I purchased vBulletin a while back -- BEFORE InvisionBoard was out (and IkonBoard died), so I still use vB. But if I were to start from scratch now, I'd chose Invision -- no question.

vBulletin3 is out in RC, and it's alright -- but not my style I don't think.

vBulletin

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I want my own little piece of cyber-heaven too but I'm too busy to read this thread! Nevermind, read it