Setting up my 1st WiFi home network, plz help :(

chodecz

Feb 24, 2005
Hi,

Im buying a laptop and want to set up a wireless network, with my home PC.

I have broadband Internet, and would like to share files, play games together, etc.

My laptop comes with a Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g), but my home PC doesn't have a network card of any kind.

Whats the cheapest and best way to get 54Mbps running???

Do I need a router, or can I just buy a wireless NIC for my PC and link to two?

I was thinking of buying D-Link products?

Plz help, many thanks to anyone in advance!

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You need a regular NIC to connect to the modem.

Then you would need an additional Wireless card to create AD-Hoc Wireless, and you can use Windows ICS to Share the Internet

Advantages? None really, you might save $5 and you would have Cr** system.

Why? Coz if you buy a Cable/DSL Router you would not need to buy a Wireless Card. You can find a Wireless Router for the same price of a Card (or few $$ more).

A Good system should look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

Installation and Sharing here, http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

If you do want a system without a Router instructions here, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin...expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=trueHi

:sun:

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
if you already have broadband, I assume you have a router but that it doesn't have a wireless access point built in..? if that's the case, the easiest and most robust solution is just to buy a wireless access point, and connect it to your router via ethernet cable. Or, you could take JackMDS' advice and buy a new router with a built in wireless access point.

chodecz

Feb 24, 2005
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated!

I dont have a router of any kind, just a cable modem, home PC (no NIC), and laptop [with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)].

So with this in mind, I would like not only to share internet between the two, but also create a wireless network, so I can share files, etc etc.

Can't I have the cable modem connected to the home PC, then buy a wireless NIC for the home PC and link it to the laptop? OR would I need to buy a wireless NIC AND a wireless router????

chodecz

Feb 24, 2005
It connects via USB.

Also, the cable modem has one unused port, labeled 10BASE-T, which is of RJ-45 format.

Let me know what I should do guys.

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Well, if you dont want to spend any $$$ then just physically connect the unused port on the cable modem to your laptop.
But seriously, your best investment would be go buying a router now ... and while you are at that make sure that they wireless with your requirement (54Mbps).
Then you can add anything later without a headache ... :)
If you want mobility, you have to have a wireless router unless you cable modem already has wireless built-in.

chodecz

Feb 24, 2005
Thanks for the info.

But please read what I am unsure about.

Do I need a wireless router AND a wireless NIC?? Or can the router work as a wireless NIC for my home PC???

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
lol ... I see, here is what you need to clarify:

1. Does your cable modem has a wireless capability ?

2. if yes, is it b or g ?

3. if it is g, then you are golden :) You just have to buy wireless adaptor for your computer (PCI or USB).

4. if it is b or if your cable modem did not have wireless capability built-in then you have to buy a Cable/DSL router with a wireless capability of at least g.

Which one is yours ?

chodecz

Feb 24, 2005
My cable modem is NOT wireless, just has 1 unused port, labeled 10BASE-T, which is of RJ-45 format.

So this means i just need a wireless Cable/DSL router????? No wireless NIC for my PC??

Is is going round and round, I just need a proper answer. With all due respect.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
You should avoid wireless where you can, because wired has fewer problems (due to interference, security, setup hassles), and is also faster. Wireless on a laptop is common, for portability. So the most common configuration in your case would be cable modem wired to wireless-capable router via ethernet. Router wired to desktop PC via ethernet cable on the desktop PC. Laptop connected to router via wireless (need to configure wireless and wireless security).

Note that with a router, it becomes the connection point for everything, so you can have a wireless connection between the laptop and the desktop even when the desktop is not wireless, because that connection is going through the (wireless-capable) router. As you already have the PC wired to the cable modem, it should be easy to insert the router at that point, and wire the PC to the router via network cable. If your PC doesn't have wired LAN capability, then a $10 or so LAN card can solve that problem well.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
you need the following:
Regular WIRED NIC for home PC
Wireless router

And you set it up this way:

Cable modem ->Wireless router->Wired to PC, wireless to laptop.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: chodecz
It connects via USB.

Also, the cable modem has one unused port, labeled 10BASE-T, which is of RJ-45 format.

Let me know what I should do guys.
Using a Router you have to use the RJ-45 port.

:sun:

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: chodecz
My cable modem is NOT wireless, just has 1 unused port, labeled 10BASE-T, which is of RJ-45 format.

So this means i just need a wireless Cable/DSL router????? No wireless NIC for my PC??

Is is going round and round, I just need a proper answer. With all due respect.

Well, with all the answers that good people chime in here:

1. You clearly need a wireless router.

2. You will need a PCI for your computer. Wire or wireless is your choice.

And like Madwand1 pointed out, you should avoid wireless whenever possible but the choice is still yours.

Now for your other question: sorry but that's all I can do with ignorance ... maybe next time I should try to help someone that appreciates it ... remember you are the one who asked for help here !!!!

chodecz

Feb 24, 2005
Thank you for your input guys, it has cleared everything up for me now! :)

vo!!!!!!???? Don't get angry man, I didnt mean no disrespect, its just that I wasnt understanding answers to my questions fully, as people were refering to other things. I DO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP GREALTY!!

Thank you again guys, and keep up the great forum.

*** P.S. One last thing though... I assuming I keep the exsisting USB connection from cable modem to desktop PC, and simply add the ethernet RJ-45 from cable modem to wireless router, yes???