Setting up an SSD (TBG) guide, a worthy read. (Thoughts?)

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I was preparing a new upgrade for a couple parts and need a new windows reinstallation and bumped into an excellent guide on The Tech Buyers Guru. The article is pretty informative and would be worthy of reading even for us veteran builders (and of course especially for the novice). ;)

http://thetechbuyersguru.com/SSDguide.php

A few of the highlights for me:

I wasn't aware that you could switch to AHCI on the fly with the little util. I only made the mistake once a few years back when I installed windows on an SSD without AHCI, but it wasn't super enjoyable to reinstall a second time after switching it in the bios. ;)

I also wasn't aware or forgot that the intel SATA ports were better, interestingly I've always started with the first as recommended.

The hdd to ssd cloning issue was news to me, I've never done it though.

The page and hibernate files are good to note, I've usually removed the page file and if you use a ton of ram it'd require a huge ssd to use the page file on it. I've usually put it on cheap hdds.

It's good to find articles like these to use like a checklist when setting up new systems and this article is good for beginners and there are some worthy tips for the experts.

Is there anything else you guys do when setting up your ssds?