Setting up an Exchange Server with 1and1

DragonReborn

Oct 17, 2001
so i always have been intrigued about exchange servers. they sound sexy and all the cool people are using them.

i am with 1and1 and they have an exchange server hosting plan for $6/month and i was wondering what i actually get.

i love the idea of having my calendar and contacts backed up to an offsite server and so if my computer/phone dies, i can just connect to my server and poof, all my info is back ready to roll.

but i really have no idea how to set it up. I purchase the plan for 1and1 but then what? Do i upload my calender and contacts from outlook and that's that?

Help... =)

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
First, export your current email/calendar/contacts/tasks to a .PST file. Be sure to export EVERYTHING into that .PST file. If you are exporting from Outlook, you'll see a checkbox to "Export all Subfolders".

Then, configure a new Profile in Outlook 2003. Tell it you are using an Exchange Server, insert the name of your Exchange Server and your User Name. You will likely be using "RPC over HTTPS" as your connection method. Follow 1and1's advice on how to properly configure this. Follow the directions EXACTLY. Outlook won't give you much help if your settings aren't exactly correct.

Afer you've got Outlook connected to the Exchange Server, use the File/Import and Export... menu to Import your .PST file into your Exchange mailbox.

Once you've got your old mail imported, you can easily set up more Outlook clients, or PDA Phone clients, or you can use Outlook Web Access to quickly access your mailbox from any computer with a web browser.

DragonReborn

Oct 17, 2001
thank you so much for your response. =)

i have started to get the picture but i am still a little hazy on my next step.

everything is setup correctly on 1and1's side i believe and i can get in my Xadmin panel for my account. I also created a new email address with this exchange server so i don't have any mail to upload thus far (i am going to forward all my other email addresses to this one exchange address).

i know once i get all my updated information uploaded i can figure out how to get that into outlook but then how do i update it? right now, my outlook is local so when i change/add a contact then i just hotsync and it pops onto my phone (and vice-a-versa). I know the exchange server makes this process a little more interesting... =)

appreciate the help

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: DragonReborn
i know once i get all my updated information uploaded i can figure out how to get that into outlook but then how do i update it? right now, my outlook is local so when i change/add a contact then i just hotsync and it pops onto my phone (and vice-a-versa).
Outlook automatically synchronizes everything (mail, contacts, calendar, tasks) with your Exchange Server mailbox. All you have to do is connect to it. Again, the best way to connect is to use Outlook 2003 (usually a license is provided by your Exchange host), and configure it to connect in "RPC over HTTPS" mode.

Synchronizing a standalone PDA or a non-Wndows phone is done like before: You hard-connect your PDA or phone to your PC and synch the PDA or phone using a USB cable and the desktop synching software provided by your PDA or phone maker.

A web-data-enabled PDA or phone (like a Windows Mobile 5 phone) synchs directly across the Internet with your Exchange host, with no need for a connection to your PC.

DragonReborn

Oct 17, 2001
ur the man rebate...thanks for giving me such good instructions.

i am finally getting the hang of things and now my next step is to get my treo 700p in order. im not sure whether to use verizons programs or a 3rd party like chatteremail.

fun stuff though...i finally broke through the exchange server barrier! =)

on another note, when 1and1 finally upgrades to exchange server 2007, will that cause me alot of headache or will it be mostly seamless on my end?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
I haven't used the Treo 700P. The Treo 700W (WM5 version) is very easy to set up with Exchange. It automatically syncs everything with your Exchange mailbox.

I haven't played with Exchange 2007, since it won't work in Windows SBS 2003, which is mainly what I support.

DragonReborn

Oct 17, 2001
so i think we are making progress... =)

my main problem is getting my calendar and contacts info up on the 1and1 exchange server. i have everything in outlook, connected TO my exchange server but I can't seem to put that information actually online.

when i try to upload a .pst file (say my contacts .pst), it says it uploads successfully but nothing shows up.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
It could take a LONG time to initially synch your Outlook 2003 Profile with the Exchange Server. Hours and hours if you have a lot of email in the .PST. You have to remain connected to the Exchange Server and have to keep Outlook running while it synchs.

DragonReborn

Oct 17, 2001
ah, good to know.

and sry is this is a super noob question, but what's the difference between my folders and the public folders? do i need my contacts in the public folder? or is that just if i had a big group of people and that would be the public repository for my groups contact data?

i just want to make sure that putting my calendar and contacts in my outlook 2003 profile is sufficient to eventually get it uploaded to my exchange server.

sorry for asking so many questions...really appreciate the help

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Public folders are a feature of Exchange that Microsoft is trying to get rid of.....

If you are a one-person show, don't bother with public folders. For one thing, a SmartPhone won't be able to see them. For best phone compability, evrything in the default mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks folders of Outlook.

DragonReborn

Oct 17, 2001
got it, cool. thanks.

so is there any way to check that my contacts uploaded successfully to the exchange server?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Outlook Web Access is always a good tool to use if you want to be SURE of the contents of your Exchange mailbox. Whatever you see in OWA is, for sure, in your Exchange mailbox. Presumably 1and1 gave you the URL to access your OWA site.