Setting up a Router

AustinMatherne

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2005
AustinMatherne.com
My Router stopped working a couple days ago and I ordered a Gigafast EE410-R Router to replace it. I was hoping it would be plug and play but it doesn?t seem to be because I can?t access the internet so I went to the configuration page and I?m trying to set it up but I don?t know what I?m doing. It?s asking me a few questions that I don?t know the answers to and was wondering if anyone here could help.

1: To connect a cable modem with the Broadband Router, check the cable modem with the related user?s guide, then the Cable modem will automatically configure itself; the Broadband Router is configured to automatically assign addresses to each PC.
Fill up the MAC Address of the network adapter when the DNS server need a certain address with the network adapter, or press the ?Clone MAC Address? button to get the manager?s PC MAC Address.
And has two boxes one wanting to know my Host Name and another wanting to know my MAC Address.

I have no clue what it?s asking me?

And then it asks me for a ?Primary DNS Address? and a ?Secondary DNS Address?.
What is a DNS Address?

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
1) You probably have a Dynamic IP, so make sure the routers WAN port is set to DHCP and not Static. If it's dynamic you don't mess with the DNS entries either.

2) To find your mac in 2K/XP go to start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all and write down the physical addess (00-00-00-00-00-00) for your ethernet adapter. Input the string of characters into the router where it says 'clone mac address" and apply it.

See what happens......

Ike0069

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Thismight get more help in the Networking forum.

DNS is "Domain Name System", and is the method by which Internet addresses in mnemonic form are converted into numeric IP addresses.

If the Primary and secondary DNS servers are not provided by default, then you need to enter them manually. Not sure how to find it, but there should be a list of available DNS servers for your area. You might need to call your ISP support for help here.

Also, try dslreports.com and go to the forum of your specific ISP. (It covers cable also). They might have a FAQ about this already. I use Bellsouth DSL and a Linksys router and there is a detailed walkthru for this combo that I followed to get mine working. You might find the same kind of luck there.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Your modem's MAC table was full as most providers will give you only one IP. Power cycle the modem ANY time you plug a different device (router/pc) into its ethernet port and you should be set. :)