Question Setting App error Windows 10

dclem2

Nov 10, 2019
hi there. I'm currently encountering an unknown issue when trying to access the "App Permission" for my microphone in the Windows 10 Settings App.
If I try to click on Microphone:

This error message appears, and the Setting App closes.

No amount of googling has offered a solution, so I must ask the question myself. Any help is appreciated.

--------------
Win 10 Pro
AMD X4 Phenom 955
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD (Boot)
256 HDD (External) (Paging)
NVIDIA GTX 780 (GameReady Driver 441.12)

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Have you scanned for infections with programs like Malwarebytes?

Also, why are you using an external hard drive for your page file?

dclem2

Nov 10, 2019
Have you scanned for infections with programs like Malwarebytes?

Also, why are you using an external hard drive for your page file?
Yes I have and there is none. Practically expending all I could with no results. cant be windows defender related via group policy can it?

- and to have swapfile.sys not always working my main drive to death.

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
Have you tried to look up the hardware ID for the microphone/sound card device in Device Manager and try to locate a manufacturer's driver update for the machine? Or, even remove the driver and let Windows load a generic Microsoft driver? It sounds like an old driver is being used on the system that conflicts with Windows 10's protection for buffer under/overrun.

dclem2

Nov 10, 2019
Have you tried to look up the hardware ID for the microphone/sound card device in Device Manager and try to locate a manufacturer's driver update for the machine? Or, even remove the driver and let Windows load a generic Microsoft driver? It sounds like an old driver is being used on the system that conflicts with Windows 10's protection for buffer under/overrun.
these are my only two sound devices.

the problem preventing me from recording with my microphone are the settings in Mircphone privacy, but I cant open those options for some reason

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
The error would seem to indicate that Win10 has determined your driver to be unsafe and has blocked it. There also could be a OS fault, or your system could be developing a hardware fault.

This is obviously an old system if it is the one listed in the first post. How old is your Win10 install? Was the microphone working and then just stopped working, or has it been an ongoing issue?

What is the manufacturer and model number for your motherboard?

dclem2

Nov 10, 2019
The error would seem to indicate that Win10 has determined your driver to be unsafe and has blocked it. There also could be a OS fault, or your system could be developing a hardware fault.

This is obviously an old system if it is the one listed in the first post. How old is your Win10 install? Was the microphone working and then just stopped working, or has it been an ongoing issue?

What is the manufacturer and model number for your motherboard?
If it's been blocked, how to do go about unblocking it? I'm running the 1903 build.
I cant even check System info using the Settings App. Just seems like parts of this Win10 Settings App is broken.
Why cant I set Micophone privacy settings via the traditional classic control panel

(Mic btw is a generic PnP plug in play straight into the Mic port).

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
It may be blocked, or it may be a system error due to damaged or missing system files or bad drivers. If it is blocked due to an unsafe driver, you won't be able to unblock it without upgrading the driver. The audio chipset on your motherboard (which includes the mic port) is likely made by Realtek and thus you need upgraded Realtek drivers.

You haven't answered any of the questions that were asked, so any solutions are pure speculation at this point.

One thing that might fix this if it is a system issue is to run a basic repair install of Windows 10. You would need to download a version of Win10 that is the same or newer than the version on your computer (i.e. since you are running Win10 1903, you'd need install media for either Win10 1903 or use the media creation tool to create install media for the current Win10 1909), disable any AV/antimalware software, run 'setup.exe' from the new install media, and use it to "upgrade" Win10 to repair the installation and replace any missing system files while retaining your personal files. As always, make sure you do a backup of your important files before you try this - if you do it right, it shouldn't make anything any worse, but you can never tell so don't take chances with important data.

Here is a step by step guide on how to do a repair install in Windows 10 using either an ISO, a USB drive, or directly from the media creation tool:

Windows 10 repair install

dclem2

Nov 10, 2019
It may be blocked, or it may be a system error due to damaged or missing system files or bad drivers. If it is blocked due to an unsafe driver, you won't be able to unblock it without upgrading the driver. The audio chipset on your motherboard (which includes the mic port) is likely made by Realtek and thus you need upgraded Realtek drivers.

You haven't answered any of the questions that were asked, so any solutions are pure speculation at this point.

One thing that might fix this if it is a system issue is to run a basic repair install of Windows 10. You would need to download a version of Win10 that is the same or newer than the version on your computer (i.e. since you are running Win10 1903, you'd need install media for either Win10 1903 or use the media creation tool to create install media for the current Win10 1909), disable any AV/antimalware software, run 'setup.exe' from the new install media, and use it to "upgrade" Win10 to repair the installation and replace any missing system files while retaining your personal files. As always, make sure you do a backup of your important files before you try this - if you do it right, it shouldn't make anything any worse, but you can never tell so don't take chances with important data.

Here is a step by step guide on how to do a repair install in Windows 10 using either an ISO, a USB drive, or directly from the media creation tool:

Windows 10 repair install
Well, since this is a very old system, and I've been aching for a new one for too long, I'll just wait and stick it out until I get that new PC. I've already backed all my files up, so nothing really is on this PC anymore, I use my external SSD until the time being.

ASK THE COMMUNITY