SETI slooooow...

svern

Jan 3, 2003
I did the bad thing and installed the GUI. Over 44 HOURS of CPU time (on my Duron 900, WinXP) and still less than 64% complete with the first workunit!?!?!? SETI is set to crunch ALWAYS, screensaver is set to SETI, only one other application is using CPU cycles and it averages to be about 5-10%. Guess I need to install the CLI version, but not sure how to save my work or to stop SETI from getting another WU when this one is complete so I can perform the changeover...is there a good way to switch?

I was active in RC5-64 since Dec. '98 (until April '02), so am not new to Distributed Computing or it's concepts (did let my Anandtech login lapse, however). I can't believe that the SETI client would run this slow on my computer. Thanks for any ideas

Also have Athlon 2100+, but it's my wife's work computer and she wanted to run UD.

Svern (Joslins)

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
I would delete the ss and start using the client now instead of wanting

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
To stop SETI from getting another WU, create an empty file "stop_after_send.txt" in the SETI directory. But like Freewolf said, unless you're under about 8 hours from finishing your current WU, go ahead and switch now.

Welcome to TA Seti! You're just in time to switch projects in about three months. :eek: But there will be a SETI@Home 2. :)

I didn't know a login could lapse! :Q

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
You can't continue the WU from part way ,if you transfer it from GUI to CLi it will just start from zero I'm afraid to say.
Just zap the GUI & stick in the CLi;)

Btw how long was the login lapse!?

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Do you have the graphics turned on in the screensaver? If so go into the settings and change the value to 0 minuets. The graphics more than double the time on the already slow GUI version.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Graphics or no graphics you're better off running the CLI client under WinNT/2K/XP. :)

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
svern, my Duron 600 @ 900 on a KT7 runs about 7.5 Hours a work unit, so that's the times you should be getting.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I find that sometimes the first WU takes a long time... and after that, should be alot less.
the CLI will help you cut down alot in times though. the CLI is much better, get that, and SETIqueue or something along those lines and you should be running a fair bit less than 10 hours with that setup.
somewhere around 7.5-8 i would guess.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yeah I find the 1st WU on a new rig takes long too! ,bizzare ,I can't see any reason for it!:confused:

The CLi is about 25% faster than an optimised GUI client

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Are you running the SETI GUI and screensaver? That might be a problem. Uninstall it / both of them, and use the CLI with SetiDriver instead.