Seti Queue on Win9x only network?

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I have 4 ships on a 10BASE2 network with my ISP connection via dial-up on one of the ships. I have read all that I can find on Setiq and it never states if it runs on a Win9x system. I specifically run Win98SE. I have ICS running on one of the ships and I assume that is where the other ships get their ip addy. I also have SetiDriver on each system running with the CLI. Will this configuration work with setiq? The ip range that is being used is 169.254.x.x with a mask of 255.255.0.0, which looks good for a class B address range.

I played with this a little this morning using MGallik's FAQ, but I wasn't sure if it was working. When I start setiq.exe, it seems to start as CTL-ALT-DEL shows it as a running process. Should it be creating queuing areas to store WUs?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I run SetiQ on a W98/Linux network on a W98 box.

When I run it, I get a DOS box on my taskbar. Can't you open it up and see what is going on?

I just point my clients to it by using -proxy xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5512 for command line clients and setting it as a http proxy for the gui clients.

Michael

blade47

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Ughhhhhhh... I'll let someone else help you out.;) I've dealt with so many questions about setiQ lately it's making my head spin.:confused: SetiQ is one of the best caching programs out there but it can be a pain to setup sometimes. I really wish it were a little simplier. I had it working flawless on my network. I then installed WinME and went from a proxy server to ICS and still haven't got the darn thing working right. Now everytime any client on any machine finishes a wu it tries to dial out. After it connects to the seti servers it then grabs the wu from my setiQ.:|

I can tell you SetiQ doesn't create seperate queing areas it just downloads them to the setiQ directory and it won't do this until the client connects to the seti servers for the first time while your running setiQ. Good luck.:) Maybe after my head quits spinning I'll be able to help you if you still need it.:D

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Michael: I did not get a DOS box which blew my mind. The only way I knew it was running was from the Close Program box. It was running in Hidden Mode. Maybe SetiDriver did that? I'll try it again later. Thanks.

blade_47: I had ICS running fine, but installed Win ME on one system and now none of the system will talk via the ICS server?!? So, I can sympathize with you!:( I didn't think you looked very happy when I passed you the other day (on the TeAm list) !:):D:):D

Good luck with your project!

blade47

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
JWMiddleton: I was happy for Team AnandTech.:), but sad for my poor little computers.:( They were ashamed of the way all of you guys blew past them.:eek:;)

The team has really benefited by the race to 1000wu's you guys had.:D

A buddy of mine is thinking of having me build a computer for him to run autocad, hopefully he'll run seti on it for me.:)

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I hope I get this right.

DL SETIQ onto the comp with the net connection. Edit qset.txt and wsockhk.txt and put in the options you need. In wsockhk.txt you might just want to # out the line so it isn't used, because I'm not sure that it's needed.

Now go into the proxy settings in your 4 SETI clients and put 169.254.x.x:5512 in, where 169.254.x.x is the IP of the computer SETIQ is running on. Run setiq.exe and keep it running all the time. You might want to put a shortcut to it in your StartUp folder too.

Also, make sure it DLs enough WUs. If you have 4 computers that do 2 WU/day each, then you'll need 8 WU/day stored in SETIQ, and I'd keep atleast 4 days worth of WUs, so you'd need a total of atleast 32 WUs cached.

Any other questions?

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Thanks Michael, blade_47, and Sukhoi! I got it working and I think it is going to be a great help. The WinMe ship does send the data to the Win98SE Mothership, so we know that works Sukhoi.

On to 1,000...:):D:):D