SETI question

imported_Goo

Oct 4, 2005
I don't read this section very often maybe I missed something plz forgive me if I sound stupid.

I don't check my boinc client I will just let it run in the back ground, yesterday I opened it up and find out that it take 24hr for 1unit(usually 2hr ish). I am like WTF and checked other system and same thing. Any idea?

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
They recently changed the main application to what is now called "SETI enhanced" and these work units take much longer now. They search them more thoroughly for signals, that's why it takes longer to finish such a work unit. So, what you see is normal and the way it is supposed to be with the current seach algorithm of SETI.

:)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
BlackMountainCow is correct. I have just now - on different computers - workunits (=WU) which are expected to crunch for 18 - 26 hours. OTOH, with your Athlon 2600+ you should not get those huge WU s that often ... most of them crunch somewhere about 6 - 18 hours.
If, however, a unit is stuck (i.e. after 20 hours has done very little progress, e.g. 10% - 20%) then check back after a few more hours to see if the %-age has changed, If not abort that unit. There are very few "bad" WUs around, but some exist (I get one bad WU a month - but I am running Seti on several computers).

I hope this helps. If you need more details, just ask, and provide more info about your system (operating system, RAM, other progs running, version of BOINC, etc) and we may be able to help even more.