SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2012

[2W]SEARCHER

Oct 30, 2011
Hello Friends from TeAm AnandTech

Wow!-Event_Logo_E_035_004.png

SETI.Germany invites all BOINC teams to the SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2012. It takes place from 15.08.2012 up to 29.08.2012.

We cordially ask all team leaders to forward the invitation to their team. Information about the Wow! Race 2012, an exciting race concept and a registration form can be found here:

http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow_2012/anmeldung.php?lang=en

( Partly under construction )

SETI.Germany wishes you and your team members much fun with the Wow! Event 2012.

Wow!-Event_Logo_E_035_004.png

:cool: Many Greatings [2W]SEARCHER

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Hi folks, this event I will take part in. It is too interesting. How many computers? I don't know ...
The question is: which group should we join? Let us have a discussion ...

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
are these 11 arbitrary groups, or does each represent something special or unique? the pure stats and the ultimate placing of teams at the end of the competition will be the same regardless of which group we join, right?

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
I don't understand the group part.
Is this a team type race or a free for all.

[2W]SEARCHER

Oct 30, 2011
:'( Good Morning and Hello Guys,

I hope my English is good enough and you can understand my Informations :

EDIT : I found now this and I translate it by GOOGLE :

At this event there is a special feature, it does not appear as usual BOINC teams against each other, but there are 12 Zodiac groups are available where users can come together globally from all teams.

@lane42 : By this WOW! Event 2012 the Teams are based upon the Zodiac sign. :sneaky: That means you can choose the team by YOUR zodiac sign.

@Petrusbroder : Hi my Friend, sure you can start a discussion in what Team your TeAm AnandTech will start. But this is not the real Idea of this Event Peter. The Idea is we have 12 zodiac signs, so everybody start individuell in his zodiac sign. This mean Team SETI.Germany start not in one Team alone, Team SETI.Germany start in 12 Teams now. Same Team Alliance Francophone and all other Teams.
This was the Idea of this Event and we think we have so a lot of Fun and many Surprises by this Event.
But it`s up to you and your Team Peter, when you want start with your Team only in 1 zodiac sign, was this okay too. But please, then look first in what Zodiac Team start not so many User`s. Thank you.

:'( I hope everybody understand my Informations.

:cool: Many Greatings SEARCHER

Last edited:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
so if i understand correctly, the idea is to join the team based on my zodiac sign (instead of using the traditional teams), but that it is OK to stick with our original teams (TA, Team SG, etc.) so long as we all join the zodiac group w/ the least number of users in an attempt to keep the teams as even as possible?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Got it. No problem at all. Lets get to it! :)
Have registered.

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
so if i understand correctly, the idea is to join the team based on my zodiac sign (instead of using the traditional teams), but that it is OK to stick with our original teams (TA, Team SG, etc.) so long as we all join the zodiac group w/ the least number of users in an attempt to keep the teams as even as possible?

That's my understanding too. It is an interesting concept for a race..................
I'm still chewing on it, and will decide a little closer to the deadline.

Glad to see Peter will be in it.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
I'm in as well.

I'm a Gemini, and my hobby's include crunching SETI and building computers for fun. I like to play civ5 and diablo in single player mode, but I would consider multiplayer with the right female human. ;)

This could be fun.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'll pass on this one. My horoscope said something about focusing my efforts on activities closer to home.

Have fun! :)

[2W]SEARCHER

Oct 30, 2011
:) Good Morning and Hello TeAm AnandTech,

I send you a very warm WELCOME by the SETI@Home WOW!-Event 2012. I wish you a very nice Time and Fun by us. And now I look for :

Zodiac Team " ARIES " User are missing

aries.gif

:cool: Many Greatings SEARCHER

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Pokey is in. I am a Pisces so I threw in with that group.

It looks like the other standard teams like S@NL, Germany, etc., have set the tone and split up into their astrological signs so it will be interesting to see how we all sort out. Kind of like dealing the cards. Who will have the winning hand?

Kind of strange to be crunching with different folks but should be fun.

Now all I have to do is remember to switch over before the race starts.............^_^

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
Good way to keep track of my rebuilt cruncher (2.4 pentium D to a 3.4 550 and a GT620 GPU). Cancer it is and we'll see how it all settles down.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
well i started winding down the 3 days worth of Einstein@Home BRP4 tasks i keep queued on my dual GTX 560 Ti cruncher yesterday in preparation for for the Wow! event. if things go according to schedule, i should be able to start crunching SETI@Home Multibeam tasks either tomorrow or Monday. that gives me a few days to get S@H up to speed, and hopefully the stats (which are required for the race) will start trickling through the system by then...

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I will say this Searcher, you certainly come up with some colorful stuff............... :)

The Pisces group is the smallest one now and unless we have a sleeper on the team this could be a race for middle of the pack. :)

Except for the top two teams, it's hard to figure how things will shake out...........

It will be interesting and I'm looking forward to the race. Should be fun.

Last edited: