SETI@home CUDA-application released on "main" project...

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Latest News:
December 18, 2008
A version of SETI@home that runs on NVIDIA graphics boards using their CUDA computing engine has been released. The CUDA version runs up to 10X faster than the CPU version. NVIDIA has put out a press release about the SETI@home CUDA client and about GPU Grid. See directions for getting started.

Technical news:
Vacancy (Dec 17 2008)

So it's official: you can now run SETI@home on your NVIDIA GPU. Of course they're still working out the kinks, and it has yet to be seen what effects (immediate and long term) this will have on our servers and known bottlenecks. Such things are quite unpredictable, given the dizzying long list of variables.

In order to keep our bandwidth from going bonkers due to all the new client downloads, we employ the use of Coral Cache. This is all well and good, except that some ISPs out there firewall http redirects, which means a tiny subset of users cannot download these new clients. This is unfortunate, as we have no choice because we can't handle the new client downloads ourselves. So these few users will suffer a bit until we can remove such caching.

Our replica server never did recover from the outage yesterday, causing stats of various kinds to be jammed for the past day or so. This morning we found scary log messages and we couldn't even shut mysql down gracefully, so we had to kill the process and reboot the machine. It's been in really slow recovery mode all day. When finished there's a good chance it'll be out of sync from the master and will have to be rebuilt from scratch anyway. Sigh. In the meantime, I'm pointing all queries at the master, which is loading it down a bit and causing us some minor grief (running out of work to send, for example).

- Matt

Also worth reading, the SETI@home CUDA FAQ:
Q) Which operating systems does the CUDA version of SETI@home support?

The initial release will support computers that run Microsoft Windows, that have a compatible NVIDIA GPU, and are using a recent CUDA 2.0 (or later) driver. Releases for MacOS X and Linux are planned in the near future.

Q) How do I get the CUDA version of SETI@home?

Follow the instructions here. If you have are running BOINC version 6.4.4 or later, and have the correct NVIDIA driver installed, the CUDA version of SETI@home will be downloaded automatically

Q) How can I tell if the CUDA version of SETI@home was downloaded, and is running properly?

The name of the application shown in the BOINC interface, either in the Application Name section, or under the "Tasks" tag of the advanced view, should include the word CUDA.

Q) I have an NVIDIA graphics card, the current NVIDIA driver, and the latest version of BOINC, but I don't get the CUDA version of SETI@home. What's wrong?

Your graphics card may not be capable of supporting CUDA, or it may not have enough memory (256MB is required). You can find a list of CUDA compatible GPUs at nvidia.com.

If you think your graphics card meets these requirements, and you need further assistance, please post in the CUDA section of our help forums.

Q) Does SETI@home run GPU and CPU versions simultaneously?

No. If BOINC determines your CPU is capable of running the CUDA version, only the CUDA version of SETI@home will run. One copy will run on each GPU you have installed. If you want to keep your CPUs occupied at the same time, you can join another BOINC project.

Q) The CUDA version of SETI@home crashes on my system. How do I go back to using the CPU version?

Future revisions of BOINC will allow CUDA applications to be turned off. Until then, you could downgrade to a version of BOINC prior to version 6.4.1, or you could use the anonymous platform mechanism to force the CPU version of SETI@home to run.

Q) Is there a CUDA version of the Astropulse application?

Not yet, but one is planned.

Since CUDA unfortunately is nvidia-only, I've no way to test it, and neither if it's possible to run Astropulse alongside GPU-SETI_Enhanced...

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
does this mean I can stop running seta beta on the few 8xxx graphics i have and just run the regular seti@home?

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dajeepster
does this mean I can stop running seta beta on the few 8xxx graphics i have and just run the regular seti@home?
Well, this depends if you wants to help beta-testing any new beta-applications that likely will show-up over at beta or not...

But yes, you can choose to only run your GPU's on the "main" project.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thx for the update RD :)

Q) Does SETI@home run GPU and CPU versions simultaneously?

No. If BOINC determines your CPU is capable of running the CUDA version, only the CUDA version of SETI@home will run. One copy will run on each GPU you have installed. If you want to keep your CPUs occupied at the same time, you can join another BOINC project.

Does this mean even if you have more than 1 core you still can't run CPU & GPU SETI at the same time?

I found this interesting:-

The performance of a GeForce GTX 280 GPU running SETI@ is nearly 2 times faster than the fastest consumer multicore CPU (3.2GHz Intel Core i7 965) and almost 10 times faster than an average dual core consumer CPU (2.66 GHz AMD Phenom 9950).

(The i7's that much quicker then Phenom???)

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
i just got my budget i7 up and running.... I have an 8400gs PCI card for graphics... it's running 1 CUDA WU, 6 seti WU (setiathome_enhanced version 6.03), and 1 astropulse WU (i wanted to say astroglide)... at least it was when I left home.... i'll find out in the morning when I get back

TAandy

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2002
just as a side note,
i posted this on the seti forum....

"installed the latest version of BOINC, 6.4.5,
it's telling me there are "No CUDA devices found"

i have an 8600gt with the 178.24 drivers and it runs the folding@home gpu version no problems.

am i missing something here?

"19/12/2008 13:59:17||Starting BOINC client version 6.4.5 for windows_intelx86
19/12/2008 13:59:17||log flags: task, file_xfer, sched_ops
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Libraries: libcurl/7.19.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8i zlib/1.2.3
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Running as a daemon
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Data directory: C:\ProgramData\BOINC
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Running under account boinc_master
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Processor: 2 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz [x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 4]
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Processor features: fpu tsc pae nx sse sse2 pni mmx
19/12/2008 13:59:17||OS: Microsoft Windows Vista: Home Premium x86 Editon, Service Pack 2, v.113, (06.00.6002.00)
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Memory: 2.00 GB physical, 6.52 GB virtual
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Disk: 143.98 GB total, 103.17 GB free
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Local time is UTC +0 hours
19/12/2008 13:59:17||Not using a proxy
19/12/2008 13:59:17||No CUDA devices found"

----------------------------------------------------

reply came back.....

"If you have BOINC installation as service (protected ) with default options (using boinc_project account) under Vista it can't use the GPU in 6.4.5"
:beer: