Seti had another unexpected power-outage...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ming2020
I've not been able to return any WUs for a few days now.

:confused:

How about the rest of you SETI classic crunchers?

Same here ming2020, that is actually the jist of this thread. I am up to 393 WU to return this morning. I sure hope this means they are CLOSE to stopping SETI Classic and forcing a move to BOINC.

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: JWMiddleton
I sure hope this means they are CLOSE to stopping SETI Classic and forcing a move to BOINC.

Heh, I'm actually planning to leave S@H for the forseeable future. I'm just itching to offload this batch of results once and for all. After that, it's hello to FaD and/or F@H. :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I've got 103 WUs left on my main Q ,this should be enough for 3days ,actually more than that as I don't flush my work Q until Friday

Shouldn't they be back up by now?
Originally posted by: Wulf
Im done with seti for good *waves bye bye*

Sorry to see you & Dafinn going:(

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
its only 6:45 AM here on the west coast so i don't think they will be up for a couple of hours more at the earliest.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Unforgiven
its only 6:45 AM here on the west coast so i don't think they will be up for a couple of hours more at the earliest.

Ah ok ,I can never keep up with all these different time zones;)

<----- is GMT

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
well being that im in the same time zone as them, they havent been up and running until about 9 AM (thats the earliest i have noticed them getting things working) and right now its 7 AM so im guessing that it will be at least a couple more hours until the servers are working....thats just a guess of course so dont quote me on it! :beer:

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Berkeley is -8, and the'll use some time to get the servers up so don't expect any connection before 17 GMT.

Wulf

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
I've got 103 WUs left on my main Q ,this should be enough for 3days ,actually more than that as I don't flush my work Q until Friday

Shouldn't they be back up by now?
Originally posted by: Wulf
Im done with seti for good *waves bye bye*

Sorry to see you & Dafinn going:(

I started seti back in 99 and fought with server outages so I did rc5 then d2ol instead but I've always come back since it was my first DC project. Don't worry though, I'm just moving on to something else.....FaD looks like a worthy cause ;).

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
This is ridiculous, I haven't been able to connect since outage. I have 5 machines running 24/7 WITH AUTO TRANSMIT ON, and haven't received nor been able to upload WU's... :(

Migroo

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
The major 'issue' with Seti has always been the servers.

I'd rather that than a buggy client though ;)

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Like I said, I can't believe they can just go and shutdown the servers with the ammount of user active in this project right now. If they were working for me, volunteers or not, I would have fired their asses a long time ago! They had the whole weekend to sort out the ups cable issue... Man I have worked weekends and nights to sort out issues far less importand then that!!! They should get their act together or stop pretending they're able to run this project!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: DaFinn
This is ridiculous, I haven't been able to connect since outage. I have 5 machines running 24/7 WITH AUTO TRANSMIT ON, and haven't received nor been able to upload WU's... :(

You don't connect to a SETIQ?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Looks like he uses SETI Driver.

Didn't I post this earlier?:

As of 9:50 PST this morning:

The data server is up and running, but dropping connections

Edit: from the tech news page:

March 7, 2005 - 18:45 UTC
The graceful shutdown procedure is finally falling into place. The project is up but data service is off while we generate some more work. Data service will be on shortly. We will have a short outage or two today for testing graceful shutdown.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Latest from SETI@home for BOINC Technical News:
March 7, 2005 - 18:45 UTC
The graceful shutdown procedure is finally falling into place. The project is up but data service is off while we generate some more work. Data service will be on shortly. We will have a short outage or two today for testing graceful shutdown.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Got 1 wu dl and 0 uploaded in the past 1h!!! 3k+ Waiting to go and I need to dl 3 times that much just to be safe for a while!

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: amdxborg
Like I said, I can't believe they can just go and shutdown the servers with the ammount of user active in this project right now. If they were working for me, volunteers or not, I would have fired their asses a long time ago! They had the whole weekend to sort out the ups cable issue... Man I have worked weekends and nights to sort out issues far less importand then that!!! They should get their act together or stop pretending they're able to run this project!

That is EXACTLY how I feel!

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Well, seems to me something's happening here! Slowly but surely they're coming and going!! :D:D:D Hope they leave the power on this time.

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
its really hit and miss to download/upload. i can download a unit 1 out of every 10 attempts or so :(

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Last updated: 22:55:01 (UTC) on 2005-03-07

Data Server Status
The data server is up and running, but dropping connections
Just as i thought, still flooded this afternoon :(
I ain't even gunna try uploading anything.

Man, it's a good thing i started uping my caches a few weeks ago :)

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: amdxborg
Like I said, I can't believe they can just go and shutdown the servers with the ammount of user active in this project right now. If they were working for me, volunteers or not, I would have fired their asses a long time ago! ... Man I have worked weekends and nights to sort out issues far less importand then that!!!

Roger that - right on target!

I'm not currently doing S@H(though you all know I have done it quite a bit in the past).

I don't happen to have alot of sympathy for the project administrators whether they're volunteer or not; I happen to work for a publicly funded library system, so I too know what it's like to have limited funding, but trust me when I tell you that we put some serious thought into what we were going to need for server capability to run this system(WAN of mostly Microsoft/Citrix servers), along with tape backups every night, UPS(s) to supply critical online power and a natural gas generator for prolonged outages. It wasn't cheap, but the needs of our users(staff and public) are very imporant to us - they are our livelihood - we serve them. It's a question of priorities.

One of the TA members has the Heinlein quote in his sig about "keeping all your eggs in one basket".. there is NO reason why Berkeley couldn't have partnered up with another big university on say the East Coast or another country to provide some redundancy capability for a project of this magnitude, no reason whatsoever.

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: JWMiddleton
Does this only apply to SETI Classic, or is SETI BOINC having problems as well?
I'm pretty sure it applies to everything...