Seti Driver vs Seti Hide

CXGJarrod

Jan 27, 2004
I just changed over from Seti Hide to Seti Driver and I am doing WU about 7-10 minutes faster on two machines! (Finally looked at the tutorial on the TeamAnandtech.com website) If you havent changed do it!

More, more, more!

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
I have Setihide on my son's computer, he liked turning seti off, now he cant find it :evil:. It's a nice program, a little buggy but i don't think it adds any more time to a wu then seti Driver.

Ammocan

Jan 5, 2002
You can't really hide stuff if you look at the processor status in Task Manager. I run seti as a service (2 actually for hyperthreading) and named them anandtech and anandtech2.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
True, the cpu usage will still show 100% in Task Manager, but change the name of setihide to something else, i use vid.dll and that's what shows up in Processes running.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Using SetiHide, you can make the Cli Client(s) stop running when the Task Manager is opened. ;)

Insert the following line in the file "halt_if_running.txt" (located in the "files" folder):

c:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe <---- if you are using WindowsXP Professional, other Windoz may be located differently.

Do a Reboot.

The next time you open the Task Manager ... the CLI CLIENT(s) will go poof. :D

When the Task Manager is closed, the Cli Client(s) will be restarted by SetiHide.

You can be even more stealthy if you rename "SetiHide" something else ... for example: CrtSvcs

Just make sure you have permission to run Seti. ;)

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
question for smoke....
so does the cli just throttle to 0 cpu usage when you open task manager or is it not even listed in the task manager at all?

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Unforgiven
question for smoke....
so does the cli just throttle to 0 cpu usage when you open task manager or is it not even listed in the task manager at all?

Here is a jpg of my Task Manager ... notice SetiHide is running but there are no Cli Clients running. :D

I did run into some difficulties when I tried to rename "SetiHIDE" to "CrtSvcs". I am running SetiHIDE as a Service and it appears it is not an easy task to change the name after the service version has been installed.

trevinom

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
If it's not listed as a task, it would imply that the process has shut down, and restarted when Task Manager is exited.

CXGJarrod

Jan 27, 2004
Perhaps it has been a fluke. I will see what happens over the next week or so... (only been running it for 2 days now)

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
awesome smoke, thanks for the screenie. btw, you got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many processes running bro. 39?!? holy crap! LOL

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
awesome smoke, thanks for the screenie. btw, you got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many processes running bro. 39?!? holy crap! LOL

60 processes here ;)

BigFatCow

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Smoke
Using SetiHide, you can make the Cli Client(s) stop running when the Task Manager is opened. ;)

Insert the following line in the file "halt_if_running.txt" (located in the "files" folder):

c:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe <---- if you are using WindowsXP Professional, other Windoz may be located differently.

Do a Reboot.

The next time you open the Task Manager ... the CLI CLIENT(s) will go poof. :D

When the Task Manager is closed, the Cli Client(s) will be restarted by SetiHide.

You can be even more stealthy if you rename "SetiHide" something else ... for example: CrtSvcs

Just make sure you have permission to run Seti. ;)

does this work on XP and 2k? If it does i might be able to get a few new machines.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Coolkid
60 processes here ;)
I've got 39 running, and my system is hardly under load (just Mozilla, SETI, Seti Driver, Electron Microscope to monitor the F@H service on my other computer, and a few other non-standard services like Diskeeper, etc.)

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
I am running it on my main workstation which is a WindowsXP Professional system ... that is its "Task Manager" I have the snapshot of a few posts back.

I mentioned that I tried to change the name on this computer from SetiHIDE to CrtSvcs but I was unsuccessful. I think if you change the name of SetiHIDE before you install it as a service and make the appropriate name change in the "install.bat" and change the name of the "SetiHIDE.reg" file prior to installing the service, the stealthy ID may be accomplished. I'd like to get a report back on this if someone is successful.

If you don't use the service install, you'd have to put a shortcut to the SetiHIDE executable (or whatever name you use) in the STARTUP FOLDER and that of course is not very stealthy at all. ;)

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
The way i change setihide to another name in taskmanger, open the folder that setihide is in, right click the big satellite icon, click rename, and rename it to something that sounds importent so when it shows up in task manger no one plays with it. You have to exit and restart setihide for the change to take effect.