Sessions told White House that Rosenstein’s firing could prompt his departure, too

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
We're seeing glimmers of partial integrity and maybe long term fears coming from the GOP leadership

The question is, when will they put their foot down and stand up to the party bully as a unified front? When he's no longer useful? When they finally lose both houses? When? You'd think maybe, just maybe they'd take a stand before the midterms to attempt to preserve at least one majority.

Hmmmmm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...976a82b05a2_story.html?utm_term=.2409a0847339

Attorney General Jeff Sessions recently told the White House he might have to leave his job if President Trump fired his deputy, Rod J. Rosenstein, who oversees the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to people familiar with the exchange.

Sessions made his position known in a phone call to White House counsel Donald McGahn last weekend, as Trump’s fury at Rosenstein peaked after the deputy attorney general approved the FBI’s raid April 9 on the president’s personal attorney Michael Cohen.

Reactions: Xcobra

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Intriguing to say the least. I'm wondering how hot Sessions' seat would get with Rosenstein being thrown under the bus. I'm kind'a thinking it's not a matter of Sessions' integrity or honor that's at risk as far as he's concerned, but more so what kind of precarious position he gets put in if Rosenstein gets run over.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump offered Rosenstein no choice when he said this on national TV-

[Rosenstein] made a recommendation, but regardless of recommendation I was going to fire Comey, knowing there was no good time to do it,” Trump said. “And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said, ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won.

He might as well have said he fired Comey to obstruct Justice.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Another rat thinking wait a minute... why there be water on THIS side of the boat?

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Great! Get rid of both of them. I would love to see Noel Francisco be the Acting AG.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think everyone wants Sessions gone.

I don’t. While Sessions is an odious racist and probably one of the worst picks for AG in history he’s currently recused from the Russia investigation and he’s not trying to actively sabotage it to cover up criminal behavior by administration officials.

I guarantee you the one and only qualification for Trump’s next AG will be their willingness to shield him from investigation and use the department to investigate his political enemies. As bad as Sessions is, the alternative is worse.

Mar 11, 2004
Er, am I having deja vu? Didn't Sessions already make that known, like last year?

I don’t. While Sessions is an odious racist and probably one of the worst picks for AG in history he’s currently recused from the Russia investigation and he’s not trying to actively sabotage it to cover up criminal behavior by administration officials.

I guarantee you the one and only qualification for Trump’s next AG will be their willingness to shield him from investigation and use the department to investigate his political enemies. As bad as Sessions is, the alternative is worse.

But on the other hand, it would seemingly trigger the breaking point. If Turmp starts his version of the "Saturday Night Massacre" then it would force the situation to a head. Either he would need to be impeached or somehow Congress would need to actually do something, or we know that Republicans aren't going to, and we're going to have to figure out how to address that.

So the argument becomes, do we want to try and wait and hope that Democrats make inroads in Congress, that something else happens (more leaks, maybe some bombshell in the Mueller investigation that blows up - I don't mean the Mueller investigation being done, just that some revelation that blows up to the point that Republican senators can't keep going "there's nothing here"; maybe a clear crime being committed, like some Turmp stooge breaking into where Mueller is keeping records), or do we hope for this to reach its breaking point sooner rather than later?

The reality is, I have a hunch we're not gonna get a choice, Turmp is prone to being impulsive and there's more and more things ratcheting up the stress on him. He clearly wants to do something (or else we wouldn't have a perpetual weekly "Congress/Sessions/etc is telling the White House that firing Rosenstein will have ramifications" because he seemingly keeps broaching the subject). I'm almost certain it happens before mid-terms because Turmp isn't going to take the chance of Democrats having more ability to do something about it and/or being able to stall his other aims. But then that should also either trigger the Republican party turning on Turmp, splitting, or if nothing else people vote heavily Democrat in the mid-terms. But we'll find out what's what. I'm sure that whomever Turmp selects that their first priority will be to purge Mueller's evidence, so what would the FBI (as an organization) do?