Sessions Says 'Zero Tolerance' For Illegal Border Crossers, Vows To Divide Families

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Seems we're making good progress in writing another soon to be infamous chapter of US history:

https://theintercept.com/2018/05/29/zero-tolerance-border-policy-immigration-mass-trials-children/

So many stories like this. Sessions and the psychopaths that follow his orders should be extradited to The Hague and tried for crimes against humanity. Even aside from crap like this, who knows how many asylum seekers have died after illegally being sent back to the dangerous countries they fled.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
OK, I'll bite. I know of one country with landmines across its border, and it sure as shit ain't to prevent people from getting in.

Can you name a few of these "most countries" that you are referring to?

Here's a "few", you can easily find dozens more if you make even a trivial effort.

Burma - Bangaladesh
China - Vietnam
Albania - Kosovo
Thailand - Cambodia
Bulgaria - Yugoslavia
Ethiopia - Eritrea
Georgia - Azerbaijan
Lebanon - Syria
Niger - Nigeria
India - Pakistan
Peru - Chile
Saudi Arabia - Yemen
Kenya - Somalia
Mauritania - Morocco

Either way Trump and co seem to be proceeding full speed ahead with their plan.

Nov 29, 2006
I agree in part, which is why the kids should be deported also so they can be with their parents.

I agree with this. If you are going to deport them their is no reason to separate a family trying to enter illegally. That is just cruel and unusual punishment. "We dont want you, but we'll take you kids" LOL WTF

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Here's a "few", you can easily find dozens more if you make even a trivial effort.

Burma - Bangaladesh
China - Vietnam
Albania - Kosovo
Thailand - Cambodia
Bulgaria - Yugoslavia
Ethiopia - Eritrea
Georgia - Azerbaijan
Lebanon - Syria
Niger - Nigeria
India - Pakistan
Peru - Chile
Saudi Arabia - Yemen
Kenya - Somalia
Mauritania - Morocco

Links are required to substantiate that assertion. There are lots of landmines in lots of places as a legacy of conflicts resolved long ago not as anti-migrant measures of current govts.

http://www.landminefree.org/facts-about-landmines/

https://www.halotrust.org/media-centre/news/landmines-still-exist-in-58-countries-and-four-states/

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Burma - Bangaladesh
China - Vietnam
Albania - Kosovo
Thailand - Cambodia
Bulgaria - Yugoslavia
Ethiopia - Eritrea
Georgia - Azerbaijan
Lebanon - Syria
Niger - Nigeria
India - Pakistan
Peru - Chile
Saudi Arabia - Yemen
Kenya - Somalia
Mauritania - Morocco

Yeah I'm going to call bullshit on this. For example the mines present in the Thai-Cambodia border are legacy conflict mines that the countries are actively attempting to remove. A friend of mine works for UNMAS and has spent time in Somalia working with the various factions and the central Somali proto-government to de-mine their territory. I bet if I looked into the others that's true for most, if not all of them.

So basically you're using countries as examples that desperately wish their land was not mined and would love to have the US situation. You need to make at least a trivial effort to portray the situation honestly because this is ridiculous.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009

Burma - Bangaladesh
China - Vietnam
Albania - Kosovo
Thailand - Cambodia
Bulgaria - Yugoslavia
Ethiopia - Eritrea
Georgia - Azerbaijan
Lebanon - Syria
Niger - Nigeria
India - Pakistan
Peru - Chile
Saudi Arabia - Yemen
Kenya - Somalia
Mauritania - Morocco

Sorry, you want to be on this list?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I agree with this. If you are going to deport them their is no reason to separate a family trying to enter illegally. That is just cruel and unusual punishment. "We dont want you, but we'll take you kids" LOL WTF

Also the fact that they're doing it to asylum seekers, which is way super-against international law.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Burma - Bangaladesh
China - Vietnam
Albania - Kosovo
Thailand - Cambodia
Bulgaria - Yugoslavia
Ethiopia - Eritrea
Georgia - Azerbaijan
Lebanon - Syria
Niger - Nigeria
India - Pakistan
Peru - Chile
Saudi Arabia - Yemen
Kenya - Somalia
Mauritania - Morocco

Uh, of those, I notice two that are likely actual current conflicts and might be relevant to your point: India-Pakistan and Burma-Bangladesh. A lot of those seem like old, buried, forgotten border disputes that certainly have nothing to do with any current conflict or of a country trying to prevent any and all migration.

Lol @ Chile-Peru! wtf--do you think the "Pisco Wars" are really that serious? :D

Edit: "The Pisco Wars," since you probably don't know anything, including where to even find those two countries on a world map.

SA-Yemen, certainly active now, because the war was approved by Jared fucking Kushner himself, paid for by you and I. You can thank him for those landmines, I guess.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Links are required to substantiate that assertion. There are lots of landmines in lots of places as a legacy of conflicts resolved long ago not as anti-migrant measures of current govts.

http://www.landminefree.org/facts-about-landmines/

https://www.halotrust.org/media-centre/news/landmines-still-exist-in-58-countries-and-four-states/

This is problematic, because glenn1 will claim that he used your very same links to get his list of countries and landmined zones, without any acknowledgement of his dubious use of that list to support his actual claim, declare that you were owned, claim victory, and never comment about it again. DSF will step up and provide support, then claim "Who, me?" by generously offering that he never posted the list in the first place.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
These illegals shouldn't be allowed in, they need to be kicked out. They cost the taxpayers way too much.
Brilliant.

And how much is it going to cost to deport millions to tens of millions of people.

I'll wait here.

Apr 27, 2012
Brilliant.

And how much is it going to cost to deport millions to tens of millions of people.

I'll wait here.

I didn't say deport all of them, its not practical and unfortunately it would cost too much money but the criminals definitely need to be deported. Its also interesting that you're worried about the cost yet I don't see you worried about all the billions the government is wasting.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I didn't say deport all of them, its not practical and unfortunately it would cost too much money but the criminals definitely need to be deported. Its also interesting that you're worried about the cost yet I don't see you worried about all the billions the government is wasting.
I'm not worried about the cost, because it'll never happen.

Nov 25, 2013

Burma - Bangaladesh
China - Vietnam
Albania - Kosovo
Thailand - Cambodia
Bulgaria - Yugoslavia
Ethiopia - Eritrea
Georgia - Azerbaijan
Lebanon - Syria
Niger - Nigeria
India - Pakistan
Peru - Chile
Saudi Arabia - Yemen
Kenya - Somalia
Mauritania - Morocco

That's truly a list of countries that the US should try and emulate.

Reactions: nickqt

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
That's truly a list of countries that the US should try and emulate.
If you're a modern US conservative, anything and everything that excludes as many people as possible is absolutely ideal.

They use poor, third world countries as models for any possible type of post-FreeMarketCapitalism™ while excluding, like, every other western country on the planet.

They're constrained by their own warped ideas of what the world looks like, and then project it all around them as a reason to continue to keep believing the same shit that got them here. Projection and cognitive dissonance.

Not a surprise that a conservative nonchalantly lists a bunch of third world countries that are poor and war-ridden that could be emulated They're identifying with what their thought leaders have trained them to believe has happened to them.

And they do it in order to exclude as many people as possible. Anything to stay in that bubble.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Traumatizing babies by ripping them away from their mothers will definitely deter all those criminals.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Happens every single day in America to American citizens who's parents break the law and go to jail/prison.

True, and so what? The parent asylum seekers haven't been convicted of anything. Maybe we should keep the kids when & if they're deported, right?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
True, and so what? The parent asylum seekers haven't been convicted of anything. Maybe we should keep the kids when & if they're deported, right?

So what? It's the same thing. Parents intentionally breaking the law. If a parent is steal cars to "pay for rent/food" is that ok too? Nope, its not. There is a line. You may want to believe that everyone crossing the border illegally is an "asylum seeker", but that is not the truth. Nor does it matter. There is a legal way, and an illegal way to do things. If you had your way, you'd let everyone in no matter what. Nobody gets punished. But thats more voters for you though huh.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So what? It's the same thing. Parents intentionally breaking the law. If a parent is steal cars to "pay for rent/food" is that ok too? Nope, its not. There is a line. You may want to believe that everyone crossing the border illegally is an "asylum seeker", but that is not the truth. Nor does it matter. There is a legal way, and an illegal way to do things. If you had your way, you'd let everyone in no matter what. Nobody gets punished. But thats more voters for you though huh.

That's not true at all. Asylum seekers often present themselves to agents at the border. They walk right up & ask for asylum. They're held pending the outcome of a hearing months down the road, largely because the GOP refuses to fund enough immigration judges.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
If only they were famous, then Trump could pardon them.