Sesame Workshop tells Obama campaign to stop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Agree. This is not the first time he's done this kind of crap...but it is much better than some of his other incredibly slimey campaign ads.

Ryan Throws Granny Off The Cliff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OGnE83A1Z4U

Romney Killed My Wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fLtA-VDx4A

Nice lie. You got called on it by Bowfinger I see and diverted. You could just admit you made that shit up but nah.... not you... Typical MO of high horse sitting conservitudes...

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Whoa. I can't buy that. You think you could argue in a court of law that using the Apple trademark for a Romney ad without their permission would be dismissed as fair use? Hardly. This is being used without permission, the holders of the rights to Big Bird have asked it be stopped, and this is not some random pick of a guy in a yellow bird costume at a kids birthday party. Obama's campaign will "consider their request". That's fairly egregious IMO.
First and foremost, I am not a lawyer. My comment reflects only my lay understanding of fair use principles. I also recognize there is some difference between fair use of copyrighted material and fair use of trademarked material like Big Bird, though there are provisions for both. It is quite possible I am full of shit in this case.

That said, here are a couple of things I found in a quick search.
Political Campaigns and Copyright
[ ... ]
Specifically, the first factor focuses on "the purpose and character of the use." If the purpose and character of the use is for political advertising, then the First Amendment implications will weigh heavily in favor of a finding of fair use, because the use is for a purpose that lies at the very core of protected speech. "Although the First Amendment does not provide a defense to copyright infringement, when an act of copying occurs in the course of political, social or moral debate, the public interest in free expression is one factor favoring a finding of fair use." (Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Moral Majority, Inc., 606 F. Supp. 1526, 1536 (C.D. Cal. 1985).)

Fair Use Limitations
In light of the Hustler Magazine decision, a political campaign may be able to use portions of filmed interviews, clips from movies, or quotes from published newspaper reports without being liable for copyright infringement. That's because the materials are used not for commercial purposes but for political purposes protected by the fair use defense. (See, e.g., Keep Thompson Governor Comm. v. Citizens for Gallen Comm., 457 F. Supp. 957 (D. N.H. 1978) (use of portion of copyrighted song in political ad not likely to constitute infringement).)

But be careful. The use of copyrighted materials in campaign ads is not without limitation. The fair use test contains four factors, and the "public purpose" of the use is only one of them. Even though the use may not be for commercial purposes, a campaign can still be held liable for copyright infringement if it violates the remaining three fair use factors. Critical to the fair use analysis is consideration of the amount of material used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole, and the economic impact of the use on the copyright holder. Campaigns should refrain from using full and complete copies of interviews or photographs, because such wholesale copying could deny economic benefit to the copyright holders who are entitled to exploit their copyrighted works for profit. ...
Also, more specifically about fair use and trademarks:
Overview of Trademark Law
[ ... ]
10. What defenses are there to trademark infringement or dilution?
Defendants in a trademark infringement or dilution claim can assert basically two types of affirmative defense: fair use or parody. Fair use occurs when a descriptive mark is used in good faith for its primary, rather than secondary, meaning, and no consumer confusion is likely to result. So, for example, a cereal manufacturer may be able to describe its cereal as consisting of "all bran," without infringing upon Kelloggs' rights in the mark "All Bran." Such a use is purely descriptive, and does not invoke the secondary meaning of the mark. Similarly, in one case, a court held that the defendant's use of "fish fry" to describe a batter coating for fish was fair use and did not infringe upon the plaintiff's mark "Fish-Fri." Zatarain's, Inc. v. Oak Grove Smokehouse, Inc., 698 F.2d 786 (5th Cir. 1983). Such uses are privileged because they use the terms only in their purely descriptive sense.

Some courts have recognized a somewhat different, but closely-related, fair-use defense, called nominative use. Nominative use occurs when use of a term is necessary for purposes of identifying another producer's product, not the user's own product. For example, in a recent case, the newspaper USA Today ran a telephone poll, asking its readers to vote for their favorite member of the music group New Kids on the Block. The New Kids on the Block sued USA Today for trademark infringement. The court held that the use of the trademark "New Kids on the Block" was a privileged nominative use because: (1) the group was not readily identifiable without using the mark; (2) USA Today used only so much of the mark as reasonably necessary to identify it; and (3) there was no suggestion of endorsement or sponsorship by the group. The basic idea is that use of a trademark is sometimes necessary to identify and talk about another party's products and services. When the above conditions are met, such a use will be privileged. New Kids on the Block v. News America Publishing, Inc., 971 F.2d 302 (9th Cir. 1992).

Finally, certain parodies of trademarks may be permissible if they are not too directly tied to commercial use. The basic idea here is that artistic and editorial parodies of trademarks serve a valuable critical function, and that this critical function is entitled to some degree of First Amendment protection. The courts have adopted different ways of incorporating such First Amendment interests into the analysis. For example, some courts have applied the general "likelihood of confusion" analysis, using the First Amendment as a factor in the analysis. Other courts have expressly balanced First Amendment considerations against the degree of likely confusion. Still other courts have held that the First Amendment effectively trumps trademark law, under certain circumstances. In general, however, the courts appear to be more sympathetic to the extent that parodies are less commercial, and less sympathetic to the extent that parodies involve commercial use of the mark. ...
The bottom line appears to be there is a tremendous amount of grey in what is and is not legally permitted. Whether the Obama ad crosses that line or not is beyond my pay grade.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Fail. Never ever use anyone's stuff in your own ads without checking with the owners first for permission.

yeah they should ask first. Now that the owners asked them to stop it shouldn't be a question about it. they should stop.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
They're doing the right thing asking Obama not to use them in political ads. Children's television should not be used as a tool for any candidate.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
It was an easy shot to take and I don't blame the Obama campaign for taking it. But Sesame Workshop is correct in their request because PBS is politically unaffiliated. Of course don't ask Fox News about that as they have spent most of the last week trying to call Sesame Street liberal brainwashing.

I loved how Jon Stewart the other day pointed out how Lou Dobbs defended the cutting of funding to PBS because it was too much money, and only a few months prior attacked Obama for wanting to cut oil subsidies because they're such a small part of the deficit, even though they're 16 times the amount of the funding of all of PBS nationwide.

Oct 16, 1999
They're doing the right thing asking Obama not to use them in political ads. Children's television should not be used as a tool for any candidate.

If Big Bird wanted to remain apolitical maybe he should have gotten a real job instead of mooching off the government teet like the rest of those 47% liberal bums.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Actually, it isn't the same. Unlicensed use of a song or set of songs as a theme at public events is a clear violation of IP rights. This is well-established legally. Using Big Bird's image for news or commentary purposes is arguably fair use. The same applies to campaign ads with quotes from newspapers or clips of news people criticizing one side or another. The media often cry foul about using their footage without permission, but they likely have no legal recourse.

I'm pretty sure use of any music at ANY major party campaign event is licensed (they are going to pay BMI or whatever royalties) . THe musicians had an emotional issue, not a legal one, with their music being used by a politician they despise.

I still say GOP'rs are making a mountain out of a molehill about this, that the Obama campaign fully expected the reaction from Sesame Street. The ads they used have an effective life of hours in any event, and the campaign got what they wanted out of them.

The next day's cycle will have a new run of ads, probably dealing with Romney's new etch-a-sketch moment on abortion.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Agree. This is not the first time he's done this kind of crap...but it is much better than some of his other incredibly slimey campaign ads.

Ryan Throws Granny Off The Cliff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OGnE83A1Z4U

Romney Killed My Wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fLtA-VDx4A

LOL I haven't seen that stuff its great but its has blowback attached bigtime. What the hell Obummer you tring to lose this thing you dip shit. I woud take Hitler over Romney myself

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Nice lie. You got called on it by Bowfinger I see and diverted. You could just admit you made that shit up but nah.... not you... Typical MO of high horse sitting conservitudes...

Whats the lie Ifell asleep . I not sure I can trust your reading comprehension ..

Here is your sig

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me." –Mitt Romney

I agree with those words I think if you really think about it so would you . If I paying someone to provide me a service and there doing poor work . I love the fact I can tell them to hit the road , As do most americans . Your comprehension skills SUCK big time

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
pc_e888065ca1b2e6fa801428d50b3bd568.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No matter how much the producers of Sesame Street might want Obama to win, their complaint about Big Bird is something they have to do to maintain their distance & appearances.

It's pro forma, no matter how badly the usual Righties want to make something more out of it.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Why should the Obama campaign actually have to ask the creators of Big Bird before using him in a campaign ad? This is Obama after all, they should be thrilled. It looks like Big Bird is flipping the Obama campaign the big bird in this case.

Eat crow, you trolling partisan hack:

www.gop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012...tm_campaign=1853922_209305_RNC Communications

Your cherished GOP is equally guilty of misappropriating Children's Workshop trademarked material:

GOP CALLS ON ‘THE COUNT’
: The Republican National Committee released a new graphic this morning called “The Count.” According to an RNC press release, “all the president has been talking about recently to distract from his poor performance is Big Bird and Elmo. In order to try to get through to the Obama campaign, we enlisted the Count who determined that in President Obama’s events since the debate he has delivered 13 desperate one-liners that invoke Sesame Street characters, but has had nary a word to say about the crisis in Libya or his plan to fix the economy in the second term.” http://bit.ly/T0Zonh

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

OH that lie the neat videos I have made copies off . Proof Obama campain had nothing to do with it. Just because some demon somewhere over the rainbow says they had nothing to do with it means zero . They Lie 3x more than the repulsives, Ya want to see a housing scam video and the people who supported it . You can watch every Demon in the video lie out their asses without giving it a second thought , Repulsives are bad also at this type of bs.

Oct 16, 1999
No matter how much the producers of Sesame Street might want Obama to win, their complaint about Big Bird is something they have to do to maintain their distance & appearances.

It's pro forma, no matter how badly the usual Righties want to make something more out of it.

Exactly, they're just keeping up appearances. Everyone knows PBS is really part of the liberal media agenda machine.