Service Kenmore washer or just buy a new one?????

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Home ownership is great. If it isn't something *with* the home it's something *inside* the home!!

Anyway, bought washer/dryer new 10 years ago. Been great, zero problems, but now......

#1.) Washer is squeaking when it first starts washing.......(assuming it's a belt that's losin' its grip)

#2.) Noticed a couple rust spots on a couple shirts......(dunno what this could be from, but obviously somewhere in the washer)

Worth it to spend $$$ on a service call or just buy a whole new washer down at Costco??

sinucus

Feb 3, 2004
my washer is fairly simple to take apart and look at the insides. It might just be something simple that you could spot yourself. You can also download the service manuals online that tell you what each part does and how to put it together. I always see if I can fix a problem myself, if not, buy a new one, 10 years is a good run.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
It's probably best to go with a new one. Just to have a tech come out and examine it will be a good $60+ (then add in parts, labor, etc), and you can get a good washer for $250.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
It's probably best to go with a new one. Just to have a tech come out and examine it will be a good $60+ (then add in parts, labor, etc), and you can get a good washer for $250.

You can get a much better washer for $400, though. I'm not sure I'd settle for a $250 washer.

Overall, though, if you can't figure this out yourself via downloaded manuals, etc, I'd replace it. No point in spending the money on a service call.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Ya, I'm thinkin' so too. Dunno if I even wanna start takin' it apart.

Costco's got a whirlpool for $250 right now. Thinkin' I'm just gonna go that route.

I'll try & take a little bit apart & see. And if it's a belt or something that's goin', that might explain the squeal, but dunno how I'd solve for the rust & really don't wanna get like a *heavy* dose of rust on any clothes where I'd have to throw away some real $$$ worth of clothing just 'cuz of the washer.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I wouldn't worry about the squeaking, yet.
The rust is from the finish coming off the tub. You can touch it up.
Probably get another year out of it.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
I think I agree.

I started to take her apart, but there ain't much to see. If it's a *part* I can't tell. Looks like mine has a "coupler" type drive setup vs. belt so there isn't even a belt to change.

As for the rust......I just can't see it. I took the agigator off & there ain't much to see there either. Certainly nothing rusty there. Probably from the "holes" in the tub, but they all look OK.......(at least as far as I can see).

If I *do* decide to pick up a new washer anyway....(that $250 Costco deal sure sounds like an *easy* solution).......what's the best way to dispose of an old one??? (This was our first washer/dryer so never had to dispose of one before).

TiA

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
I think I agree.

I started to take her apart, but there ain't much to see. If it's a *part* I can't tell. Looks like mine has a "coupler" type drive setup vs. belt so there isn't even a belt to change.

As for the rust......I just can't see it. I took the agigator off & there ain't much to see there either. Certainly nothing rusty there. Probably from the "holes" in the tub, but they all look OK.......(at least as far as I can see).

If I *do* decide to pick up a new washer anyway....(that $250 Costco deal sure sounds like an *easy* solution).......what's the best way to dispose of an old one??? (This was our first washer/dryer so never had to dispose of one before).

TiA

Craigslist? Goodwill?

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Both good ideas!! I'll have to look into local charities. I'm sure it could be fixed if somebody wanted to work on it. Just that we need the "reliability" to be there for sure as school starts 'cuz then our washer/dryer almost never shut off.........LOL!!!