Service installer for ChessBrain (Update: 10/28/2003)

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Taken from welcome thread:

ChessBrain is a virtual chess supercomputer using the processing power of Internet connected machines.

Our members contribute to ChessBrain by running a small program on their machines which analyzes chess positions for the ChessBrain network. ChessBrain is a perfect project to run alongside any other project as it doesn't use much CPU time (about 5%-10% overall CPU time per day) and the "units" are very small.

If you're interested in joining us, Download and try the client software. There is a community Forum where you can get help, make suggestions and participate in experimental projects. The peerNode client can be run as a Screen saver, Graphical interface or a Command line. An always on Internet connection is required to connect to the Super Node to receive data. Our team name is TEAMANANDTECH (no spaces), your team ID will be the part of your email before the @ sign. We are currently in third place and climbing.

You can learn about the ChessBrain project in the July 2003 issue of the International Computer Games Association Journal and in the September 2003 issue of the Linux Journal. Also, please visit us at the Anandtech DC Forums, and read about all the Anandtech DC projects at Team AnandTech Home Page. Making this all possible: Carlos Justiniano is the founder of Chess Brain, and Colin M. Frayn is the author of ChessBrain's chess capabilities.

I have made a couple of batch files to install ChessBrain as a service on NT/2K/XP.
These files have the Release 20817-08 beta version of the client, and are setup to use my account and peernode monitor (monitor your crunchers here: http://coolkid.no-ip.com), but that can be easily changed in the cbspn.conf file.
I recommend you set the priority to below_normal if you are running this with another project, as CB only uses 5-10% cpu time.

Thanks to Confused for uploading these files to his webhost :beer::)

Confused's GUI service installer, Just extract to a temp folder and run Install.exe, and the rest is pretty straight forward: http://www.my105e.com/files/ChessBrain.zip

This one extracts to your temp folder and copies itself into C:\Program Files\Chessbrain (overwriting anything that is there), then installs and starts itself as a service: cbservice.exe

This one is just a zip file with the files in it, you can edit the .bat file for wherever you are installing it: cbservice.zip

Would anyone that uses this, please PM or email me (coolkidperson(at)yahoo.com.au), letting me know if it works on your system or not? Thanks!:)

I will try and update these files when a new client comes out, or if people are having problems with the installer:)

Enjoy!:D

soni

Diamond Member
May 29, 2000
I have tried it on Win2K Server, and there are one problem, I wont find the REG command.

So have made this workaround.

Make a .reg file with this in it:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ChessBrain\parameters]
"Application"="c:\\program files\\ChessBrain\\cbspn.exe"
"AppDirectory"="c:\\program files\\ChessBrain"

Then add to the install instead of REG ...
RegEdit /s "C:\Program Files\ChessBrain\Name of .reg file"

This should work on both XP/2000/2003

Also you might want to move the Net Stop ChessBrain up to the first line.
You cant make the copy, if a preexisting service are running.

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
Thanks for the feedback, have emailed Confused the updated archives with the workaround soni pointed out, he should update the files soon :)
Also, there is a new BETA client out, but i havent updated the setup with that because it has some problems
rolleye.gif

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Many thanks to Coolkid for his work on this!! :D

I have made a nice GUI for configuring and installing this, which means no faffing around in text files etc :)

Just extract to a temp folder and run Install.exe, and the rest is pretty straight forward ;) Don't worry if you've already installed with Coolkid's original file, it will sort itself out :)

Oh yeah, a linky would be useful ;)

Garry

Coolkid

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2003
I have been helping OverKiller with setting this up on his P4 with HT, we found you get better results if you run 2 seperate services of ChessBrain, rather than just setting Processors to 2 in cbspn.conf.
If you have a multi CPU cruncher (or P4 HT), download and run this file (in C:\Program Files\ChessBrain) AFTER you have run the initial installer: http://coolkid.no-ip.com/install2ndservice.bat
Enjoy! :)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
If anyone has downloaded the existing file and got a "Run-time error 429", then I have fixed that, sorry! It was because of the dll I used to get directory browsing! I have now changed that to use a standard Windows dll which everyone will have ;)

I have also added the option to have multiple processes, just set up however many you want (ie 2 for a dualie or HT machine etc) :)

Also have added an Uninstall option :) It doesn't detect what directory it's currently installed in, mainly because I don't know how to read the registry yet! ;) If anyone knows how to read from/write to the registry, I can tidy it up a bit and have a proper uninstall feature that detects how many processes are installed and where they're installed.

File is located here (same location as before), instructions are the same, unzip to any folder and run :)

Now I'm going to concentrate on trying to learn how the hell to embed another application into a VB form! ;)

Garry

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Just out of curiousity, is it only HT that gets better scores if you run two seperate processes, or do dual processors benefit also? Anyone have a dualie to try it out?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
Just out of curiousity, is it only HT that gets better scores if you run two seperate processes, or do dual processors benefit also? Anyone have a dualie to try it out?

Not got an available dualie I can easily test it out on. Only dualie I have is a dual Xeon 2.4 at work, but can't play with that too much :(

Coolkid suggested a couple of things to add to this last night, such as a "What's this?" button next to things, so I will add those hopefully this morning at work before the boss comes in (got to come over from the other side of London, normally gets here about 10 to 10.30 :))

Any other suggestions from those who have used it will be appreciated so I can improve it :)

Garry

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Good work on the installer GUI. :)

The ChessBrain as a service from ChessBrain.net a while ago had put a shortcut in my Start menu for Configure, Start and Stop. That would be a nice thing to include with this version.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: theAnimal
Good work on the installer GUI. :)

The ChessBrain as a service from ChessBrain.net a while ago had put a shortcut in my Start menu for Configure, Start and Stop. That would be a nice thing to include with this version.

Sounds good...i'll see about that :)

Glad you like the GUI also :)

Garry

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
"What's this?" buttons added for n00bs :)

Yet to get a chance to look at putting shortcuts for Start/Stop/Configure into the Start menu, and also for reading in existing settings...gimme some more time ;)

File uploaded to same location as before :)

Garry