Server setup using 5TB HDD's, help with UEFI and GPT

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I just got my Lenovo TS140 server. I'm playing around with the config but after installing 4 HDD's I'd like the setup to be:

2x WD Red 5TB, Mirrored pair as NAS
1x WD Green 5TB Plex drive

I have a 4th HDD (3 TB Green) that I'm unsure of.

My question is regarding how to setup this server initially. I have an extra key of win 7 and win 8, so I can use either. I want to install windows, likely on the green plex drive, and get the system up and running. The problem is I am unsure of how to utilize these larger drives correctly. I found the setting for booting in UEFI mode automatically in the BIOS, but if I try that with a windows disc in the DVD drive I get an error.

What are the proper steps to setting up a large drive in a new windows installation? What about for the other connected drives, how do I setup a GPT to allow them to be fully used and then raided?

Thanks!

EDIT*
I figured it out, installing win 7 on my 5TB green now. I'm hoping I can have this windows drive also be my plex drive without any issues, but we will see how that works.

Last edited:

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Will this be a home office server or for a small company? How many people do you think will access it?

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Would get a SSD for Boot/OS so working on the server doesn't feel like 2005.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Will this be a home office server or for a small company? How many people do you think will access it?

Just home, plex, NAS, and eventually hooked to a camera system with blue iris. My wife and I will be the primary users with the occasional house guest.

Would get a SSD for Boot/OS so working on the server doesn't feel like 2005.

I only have 5 total SATA channels, 1 for the DVD and 4 for HDD's. I thought about using the DVD channel for an SSD and still might go this route, but I don't need this thing to be fast. It will be running all the time so startup/shutdown time is no issue. I'm just curious how it is loading plex, if that seems to be running fast enough then I don't see a reason to worry about the hdd speed.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Just home, plex, NAS, and eventually hooked to a camera system with blue iris. My wife and I will be the primary users with the occasional house guest.

I only have 5 total SATA channels, 1 for the DVD and 4 for HDD's. I thought about using the DVD channel for an SSD and still might go this route, but I don't need this thing to be fast. It will be running all the time so startup/shutdown time is no issue. I'm just curious how it is loading plex, if that seems to be running fast enough then I don't see a reason to worry about the hdd speed.

Sounds like you might be trying to catch the mail thief.
Happening a lot around USA.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Sounds like you might be trying to catch the mail thief.
Happening a lot around USA.

Initially the only camera hooked up will be the one in the nursery. Eventually I will place a couple outside the house, but more out of curiosity than anything.

Last edited: