Server questions from a desktop user

Discussion in 'Highly Technical' started by corvaxmuzzy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. corvaxmuzzy

corvaxmuzzy Junior Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I thought that this subforum would be the best fit for the questions (feel free to move it if I'm wrong).

I have spent the last few months, in my spare time, looking over (enterprise) server hardware information. I know what FC, HBA, SAS, PERC, PDU, VRM, 1U-4U, and 1 or 2 other terms mean. I could tell you (the variety of) processors, chipset, & RAM, of many modern HP, DELL, & Supermicro motherboards. I just have no hands-on knowledge.

I want get in on some server action!

The best way to answer these questions may just be for me to "just start buying & building," but I was hoping for some pre-trial help.

Will my server boot without a SAS backplane installed? Without I/O or VGA panels/cards installed?

I could list specific server boards, but I am really hoping for you to share general & specific knowledge. What do you know?

Does anyone have Fibre Channel lines in his house?

Anyone have links to (preferably LARGE) schematics of server mobos?

If my server has a SAS backplane, does that mean that there is no onboard controller?

If I have a PCI-E or PCI-X RAID controller, how is it connected to the SAS backplane?

If I do not use the specific fans for ________ board, will it start beeping (or otherwise bother me about my custom cooling?)?

I see no SAS/SATA plugs on this mobo itself, should I just go to sleep and let the grown-ups mess with servers?
  2. mv2devnull

mv2devnull Senior member

Apr 13, 2010
    How about this: explain us some terms first -- "server" and "SAS backplane". Explaining to others tends to clarify things.
  3. rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu Platinum Member

Feb 18, 2011
    This will answer all your backplane questions.

Its usually used for server cases so you can hot swap the drives

If you dont use backplanes, basically you would get a cable like mini sas into 4 sata/sas cables

Backplane usually uses one of the many sas port standards sff 8087, 8484,

so many standards, depends on what you get or use