Server 2008 R2, need to replicate all settings to a new server.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Compman55, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

Bottom line is, within group policy, I cannot remember all the settings I have altered. I am getting a new server and would like to replicate all the settings an also keep the same name. So it is DC01.home.local. I know I can set it to DC02.home.local and let the settings replicate but I do not want 2 servers sucking electricity.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Server replicate settings Forum Date
    Server 2k3 R2 DFS replication? Operating Systems Jan 21, 2009
    Window 2000 Server and File Replication Service Operating Systems Aug 31, 2004
    Need to setup File Replication between two W2K servers Operating Systems Apr 21, 2004
    Keeping 2K Server from trying to replicate? Operating Systems Sep 4, 2002
    Role of the Global Catalog Server? Only on DCs, or member servers too?? Which items are stored there and replicated?? Operating Systems Jun 9, 2001

3. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Lifer

I'm assuming by the name of the servers, these are domain controllers at home and you're wanting to copy domain policies, etc? It is easy -- bring up the new server as a DC02, DCPROMO it, and transfer all the FSMO roles to it. Next, go over to DC01, DCPROMO it back to a member server, and then remove it from the domain and shut it down.

4. yinan

yinan Golden Member

5. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

What does P2V mean?

6. seepy83

seepy83 Platinum Member

He's suggesting that you make your existing server a Virtual Machine by doing a Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) migration.

7. Mushkins

Mushkins Golden Member

This is the industry standard way of doing it. If you really care about the name you can rename it after you remove the old server from the network, I always give the new server a new name though to easily identify outdated documentation that still has the old server name on it (and thus needs to be updated!).

8. Carson Dyle

Carson Dyle Diamond Member

I wonder if it's really policies he's worried about in a home environment. More likely things like network shares and ACLs.

9. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

Lastly what should I do with the folder redirection policy? The physical drive will no longer be the same on the new server. Will be much bigger.... Will I need to maunally edit the GPO to reflect the new area that the folder redirection will be taking place?

When I did this in a practice VM, I broke the folder redirection and could not get it back.

10. seepy83

seepy83 Platinum Member

How are you doing folder redirection now?

If you're redirecting to the user's home directory, then you would need to go into the properties of the user accounts in ADUC, go to the Profile tab, and change the path that you connect the Home folder to.

Otherwise, you should be able to assign a new location through the GPO if you're not using Home Directories.

11. Compman55

Compman55 Golden Member

Setting the location thru a tab under the user properties (not sure as I am not in front of it), then made a seperate GPO for the offline files syncronization every (x) amount of seconds. I do this so I can run each computer in offline mode, and have it sync the folders. This way in offline mode I don;t feel the pain of the slow gigabit network. It can sync later.