Seriously? Is this how people do business today??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Entitlement mentality.

yeah sure. When I tell you that my budget is $2000 then why are you showing me things that would push the price above it? Its not like I was shown a book with prices in it. If I'm choosing a solution that is expensive it would be nice to be guided in a direction for something thats similar but less expensive.

I told Jimmy straight up that I knew nothing about blinds. We wanted something that looked nice and kept the sun out.

Since this is a tech forum I'll use this scenario

Grandma: hey TJ can u build me a computer?
TJ: Sure, what do you want/need?
Grandma: I don't know. I just want to read emails from my grandkids and shop QVC. My budget is $1000
TJ: Ok, here <shows proposal build> this computer is really nice and would do everything you need. Its $1500.
Grandma: wow, it is nice but its out of my budget. can you build it for $1000?
TJ: no, thats the price
Grandma: well, if I don't send you some b-day money and I cut out my monthly medication then I can do $1300.
TJ: F YOU GRANDMA! You're wasting my time!

How about something like this

TJ: Grandma, well lets see here. Maybe we can substitute this SSD for a slower 5400 hdd. Maybe you don't need a 27" monitor....how about a 21"?
Grandma: Well, I really like the SSD but maybe we can do a 7200/SSD hybrid drive. I think I can live with a 21" monitor. Lets go with that. How much is it?
TJ: We can do that for $1000!
Grandma: Great!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you had asked him first time about an alternative he would have worked with you. But haggling the price down from 2500 to 2100 then 2300, and asking for an alternative pissed him off.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
this...

and this...

don't make sense when put together. here are the facts you stated.

1. jimmy was the cheapest at $2500.
2. your budget was $2000.
3. another quote was $1600.
4. all of the quotes were over budget.

your story is full of more holes than a net.

Sorry, I was typing it on my phone and trying to get ready for work at the same time. I'll scan the estimates later since I have to prove everything here.

The estimates I got from all the companies all with different solutions:

$979 (company #1)
$1200 (company #1)
$1600 (company #1)
$2500 (Jimmy)
$3100 (company #1)
$3300 (company #3)
$3400 (company #3)
$3700 (company #1)

I just found the estimates in my gmail account. I'll print and upload them in a few.

bigpimpatl

Jul 11, 2005
first rule in business dealing:

don't make or take anything personal.

I told Jimmy straight up that I knew nothing about blinds.

This is the worst mistake you can make. Even if you don't know anything about what you're getting into, at least pretend like you do so you don't get taken to the cleaners.

Last edited:

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
1_zps86ad6574.jpg

2_zps004d6493.jpg

3_zpsc89fbb3f.jpg

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
these guys are used to clients that are boring and make you lose time before buying, increasing the risk. So he just called it off when he saw what kind of person you are. Even if it's not true, he made a call and decided to do so. Nothing personal about it.
Other contractors will probably cost more but let you pick details.
This guy probably gave you a standard quote that he knows perfectly and he didn't lose too much time over it. Bringing the price down would have meant studying other possibilities, losing a lot of time, all this while giving up on his margin too. Not worth it. Don't take it personally, he made a call, maybe he was wrong but that's the best choice he could do with his experience and the scarce information he had about you. Statistically, by calling it off with people like you, he spares money. Maybe some of the people he blows off could have been good customers, but he doesn't know that. That's why you shouldn't take it personally.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The fact that you are type of person to make this thread and what you have posted about the process would be reason enough for me to not want to do work for you.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Since this is a tech forum I'll use this scenario

Grandma: hey TJ can u build me a computer?
TJ: Sure, what do you want/need?
Grandma: I don't know. I just want to read emails from my grandkids and shop QVC. My budget is $1000
TJ: Ok, here <shows proposal build> this computer is really nice and would do everything you need. Its $1500.
Grandma: wow, it is nice but its out of my budget. can you build it for $1000?
TJ: no, thats the price
Grandma: well, if I don't send you some b-day money and I cut out my monthly medication then I can do $1300.
TJ: F YOU GRANDMA! You're wasting my time!

How about something like this

TJ: Grandma, well lets see here. Maybe we can substitute this SSD for a slower 5400 hdd. Maybe you don't need a 27" monitor....how about a 21"?
Grandma: Well, I really like the SSD but maybe we can do a 7200/SSD hybrid drive. I think I can live with a 21" monitor. Lets go with that. How much is it?
TJ: We can do that for $1000!
Grandma: Great!
Ohman... Switch "TJ" and "Grandma" around in those scenarios and you get just about every 'Advice' thread you've posted on here.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
hey mods lets lock this up. theres enough hatred and BS in this thread that I don't feel like dealing with it.

ive already been called a scumbag and liar when I already posted info that would prove I was not lying.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hey mods lets lock this up. theres enough hatred and BS in this thread that I don't feel like dealing with it.

ive already been called a scumbag and liar when I already posted info that would prove I was not lying.

shrug you said they were the cheapest. now you butthurt over being called out on that.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The fact that you are type of person to make this thread and what you have posted about the process would be reason enough for me to not want to do work for you.
Read his other gems...

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Sounds like you selected him with the wrong intentions.

You wanted to spend $2000 but wanted to feel like you got a good deal, so you select the closest one that's over $2000 and try to get him down. Why not work with the $1600 guy and have him use different materials to get something nicer, he is probably far more likely to split increases in costs with you if you are going to pay him OVER his estimate.

You already knew that company #1 was willing to provide a lot of different options, just point them in the direction of Jimmy's style, who is a quote once, take it or leave-it type contractor.

Maybe you aren't reading these contractors correctly so you end up not working out with them.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Similar thing happened to me too, when I was looking for a new boiler 2yrs ago, I narrowed it down to 3 vendors, one local installer, a company sorta well known with the owner who is my local TV news go-to guy, they would interview him every time they have a story on HVAC, CO poisoning, etc and my own oil company. So the &#8220;TV guy&#8221; company sent a guy out for estimate, and I basically told him I was getting a few estimates from different companies, and I will go with whoever can give me the best value, but I didn&#8217;t say I was gonna go with the cheapest one. So this &#8220;TV guy&#8221; company emailed me the next day saying he can&#8217;t provide me an estimate, because I didn't fit their ideal customer profile, they do good work and tend to be more expensive than others, so he thinks I most likely won&#8217;t pick his company because of that. I guess they are looking for suckers, and I ain't one. Needless to say, they didn&#8217;t get the job, that&#8217;s like someone walked out the door in the middle of a job interview. I went my oil company, they were more expensive than the local installer, but they gave me an extended warranty with free tune-ups. You thought you were in the driver&#8217;s seat and these companies should get on their knees and kiss your feet to earn your business. One of them actually flat out and refuse to work with you, Just move on, you will get over it&#8230;

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
OP, if you're on such a tight budget, why not just do it yourself? It's not fundamentally hard. Someone who's going to hire people to put up blinds is usually in the kind of financial situation where they're willing to spend extra to have it done for them.

And Jimmy wasn't leading you along. You gave him a budget, along with what you wanted. He said he can't do what you wanted for the budget, gave his price and said take it or leave it. I see nothing wrong with that. He wasn't required to do any more just to make you happy.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Similar thing happened to me too, when I was looking for a new boiler 2yrs ago, I narrowed it down to 3 vendors, one local installer, a company sorta well known with the owner who is my local TV news go-to guy, they would interview him every time they have a story on HVAC, CO poisoning, etc and my own oil company. So the “TV guy” company sent a guy out for estimate, and I basically told him I was getting a few estimates from different companies, and I will go with whoever can give me the best value, but I didn’t say I was gonna go with the cheapest one. So this “TV guy” company emailed me the next day saying he can’t provide me an estimate, because I didn't fit their ideal customer profile, they do good work and tend to be more expensive than others, so he thinks I most likely won’t pick his company because of that. I guess they are looking for suckers, and I ain't one. Needless to say, they didn’t get the job, that’s like someone walked out the door in the middle of a job interview. I went my oil company, they were more expensive than the local installer, but they gave me an extended warranty with free tune-ups. You thought you were in the driver’s seat and these companies should get on their knees and kiss your feet to earn your business. One of them actually flat out and refuse to work with you, Just move on, you will get over it…

I'm not familiar with whats involved in working up an estimate for a boiler.

While you may be correct in your deduction they are looking for "suckers" I could think of reasons why they might have decided not to work up an estimate without the reason being to find "suckers"

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Was it proven that he was the actual landlord in that whole check-cashing thread? Or was he the actual tenant.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I just call from some Nigerians. They want me to work up a quote for 72 laptops.

I'm going to get right on it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Was it proven that he was the actual landlord in that whole check-cashing thread? Or was he the actual tenant.

from what i cna gather he is the landlord.

but then again i don't believe much he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.