Seriously? Is this how people do business today??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
My wife and I have been looking to install some blinds on a couple windows in our home. I use homeadvisor (formally service magic) for smaller projects like these in the past. The website usually connects you with 3 companies for estimates - which was the case here.

So they all come out and give us estimates. My wife and I also aren't really sure what we want in the windows. There are so many different solutions - shutters, wood, faux wood, cellular, etc. We basically asked the companies for their opinions on what would look the best.

The one company we like the best was this guy Jimmy. He was really nice and helpful and was the cheapest as well. The only problem was all of the projects were over budget. I asked him if he could do it for $xxxx which he declined. I asked if he would split the difference and basically told me that is the price - non negotiable.

So my wife and I started to figure out what could we "downgrade" in order to fit the budget and these are the replies

Me:

Jimmy

I just wanted to keep you advised that we have not made a choice on the blinds yet. We were considering other options such as shutters. Do you install them? I know there are several types with different materials, etc but would you be able to give an estimate if we wanted to go that route in the playroom downstairs.

Jimmy:

Mr Tango,
A lot goes into putting together a quote for Shutters. There are 3 types of Shutters to chose from, you also have a choice of louvre size,hardware, and framing. I have visited your home a number of times, I have taken a template of a window and have given numerous prices on multiple Window Treatments. At this time my company is pulling our quotes and proposals. My opinion is you and your wife need to find the Window Treatment that best suite your needs and expectations and by throwing a lot of different prices is confusing the situation. We want to offer your Family the very Best in your new home.

I told him upfront that we were getting estimates from other companies but it wasn't just going to come down to price. There are other emails where he kind of gives us an attitude for trying to come up with a different solution.

So in that final email he just tells me he's "pulling the quotes and proposals" because it seems as though he is fed up dealing with us. Just to be clear - he only came to my home twice. The second time was because he messed up measuring something and wanted it to be 100% correct.

Cliffs:

Want to buy window treatments
Used 3rd party service for estimates
Referred to 3 companies
Picked a company but tried to re-work the estimated based on budget
Company got mad and pulled estimates

Last edited by a moderator:

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Sounds to me like he handled it exactly as he should have.

He quoted you a price, then quickly realized that the price he quoted wasn't worth the ensuing headache, so he pulled the quote.

:shrug:

Maybe the other, more expensive, options have the "headache factor" already figured in to their estimate...

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
You're gonna pay someone to install blinds on your windows? It takes like 3 minutes per window.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

He quoted you a price, then quickly realized that the price he quoted wasn't worth the ensuing headache, so he pulled the quote.

Maybe the other, more expensive, options have the "headache factor" already figured in to their estimate...

This.

The guys doing it to make a living not just to make your life more convenient.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

/this

and reading the OP's post I think it was a smart move.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Maybe he read one of your threads in the meantime and decided it wasn't worth working with you.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
cliffs: OP is cheapskate, tries to con cheapest bidder to lower price further, gets mad when rejected. I'd be fed up with you too after wasting time going to your home twice and then still having to haggle with you.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
The cheapest guy was too expensive and you started trying to nickel and dime him. He decided you weren't worth doing business with.

The problem is you.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As much nonsense as you post, I have no interest in what you think is good or bad until you try running your own business.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
On a related topic, I was surprised by how much shutters cost. I had two quotes done in December and the cheaper was $3500 for shutters on four windows. Decided to stick with blinds.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I like how you started by saying he's a nice guy but then start ripping him for not budging on the price. The man's gotta get paid!

You're gonna pay someone to install blinds on your windows? It takes like 3 minutes per window.

Some people can't even change toilet paper without assistance. Not everybody's knowledgable in handy work, that's why there are handymen, and why they charge so much for changing light bulbs.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I would have taken a more tactful approach if I were him, but apparently he determined that your house wouldn't be a good investment for his company. His prerogative.

That said, based on his spelling, grammar, and capitalization, I'm pretty sure that Jimmy is not too bright.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

That.

You were sized-up as a tire-kicker with no real intention of buying and you were not worth the time and effort of working up new quotes. That is EXACTLY how people do business today because that is exactly how people SHOULD do business today. You don't throw good money after bad by investing more resources in chasing down a job that is 99% likely to never happen and will have a 0% margin if it did.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Sounds reasonable to me. You're wasting his time/money, and trying to haggle to boot.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
Queue thread backfire picture.

Backfire.jpeg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
He thinks you're window shopping and spinning his wheels. He moved on and so should you.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The blind guy decided the Op was not worth the trouble so he politely backed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.