Seriously does anyone posting here think they will change any ones opinion?

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Been reading here for a while. I will vote republican because of my belief's

Reading most of the threads here has me dicuraged about people in this forum!! I have seen some pretty offensive arguments from all sides and even been the recipient of a few. I laugh them off as I'm sure most here do.

Question is. Has any one here ever changed there position or mind due to another's post or is this all just good reading material.

Honestly. (Get flack). I look at this part of the forum as like watching any of the reality showes about housewifes of......... Constant finger point and bitch!!!

Flame suit on but honestly do you think you will change any minds posting here?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Been reading here for a while. I will vote republican because of my belief's

Reading most of the threads here has me dicuraged about people in this forum!! I have seen some pretty offensive arguments from all sides and even been the recipient of a few. I laugh them off as I'm sure most here do.

Question is. Has any one here ever changed there position or mind due to another's post or is this all just good reading material.

Honestly. (Get flack). I look at this part of the forum as like watching any of the reality showes about housewifes of......... Constant finger point and bitch!!!

Flame suit on but honestly do you think you will change any minds posting here?
This question has been asked over and over again in many different forms...get over yourself!!

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
This question has been asked over and over again in many different forms...get over yourself!!

Ok sorry have not been here in a while. I guess I missed that. Honestly not trying to be a ass just asking a question. If it has been answered before I apologize for bringing it up again.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
So why are you here?

Edit - not meant to be nasty. I mean seriously, why are you here if you already have all the answers?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Reading most of the threads here has me dicuraged about people in this forum!!

Yes, it's a shit forum. We have a core of conservatards whose stupidity is unbounded, and they do nothing but post a continuous stream of unsupported assertions. Without moderator support to hold people to facts and logic, there's no point in trying to actually argue as they will just overwhelm you with stupidity.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yes, it's a shit forum. We have a core of conservatards whose stupidity is unbounded, and they do nothing but post a continuous stream of unsupported assertions. Without moderator support to hold people to facts and logic, there's no point in trying to actually argue as they will just overwhelm you with stupidity.

I have seen countless examples of stupidity on both sides!

For the record I'm a fiscal conservative. Could care less about social issues gay/lesbian. Abortion. Blah. Just understand that u can't spend more then you take in and understand that takeing in is taking from some one that earned it.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I have seen countless examples of stupidity on both sides!

For the record I'm a fiscal conservative. Could care less about social issues gay/lesbian. Abortion. Blah. Just understand that u can't spend more then you take in and understand that takeing in is taking from some one that earned it.

A country can spend much more than it takes in. Many many of them do.

Enjoy our Navy.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
No. I may change one or two persons at most, but not likely. I post because it is cathartic. I cannot discuss politics at work or with many of my friends because I live in a state that is redder than blood. Its difficult down here because the GOP is the only party that hasn't written us off.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

There are some good debators here that can provide facts to back up their arguements but the majority are like DominionSeraph and just fling insults and never even contribute jack shit to any debate.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
People don't change their opinions here often, but it does happen.

That said, if you are Fiscally Conservative, WTH do you vote Republican? They talk Fiscal Conservatism, but don't do as well as Democrats at actually doing it.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
No. I may change one or two persons at most, but not likely. I post because it is cathartic. I cannot discuss politics at work or with many of my friends because I live in a state that is redder than blood. Its difficult down here because the GOP is the only party that hasn't written us off.

Good point as I also find that talking about this stuff around people I associate with daily tends to be hostile so I would guess that this is a good place to unload. :)

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
People don't change their opinions here often, but it does happen.

That said, if you are Fiscally Conservative, WTH do you vote Republican? They talk Fiscal Conservatism, but don't do as well as Democrats at actually doing it.

Sadly I agree. Bush spent like a drunken sailor on leave but Obama took it up a few notches. I voted Obama wishing for change but he spent more then ever!! Sadly I'm not represented by either party but I still have hope!!

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yes. Once you read and understand my wisdom you cannot help but be enlightened and become right thinking. Unless you're a dumbass of course.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yes. Once you read and understand my wisdom you cannot help but be enlightened and become right thinking. Unless you're a dumbass of course.

Seen plenty of both in this forum and I'm sure after posting this there are plenty of opinions about me :). Thanks all for your opinions though. Been on the net before there was a net so I enjoy the converse!!! Damn I miss Red dawn!!

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
I think there was one guy who changed his mind, after his kid or he got sick and he had to jump through all the hoops due to the insurance vampire companies. he had a very heartfelt post a couple of years ago. iT was touching.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Well, I came here for the hot deals... Than started with the tech side of it with getting into Seti and distributed computing. Everything seemed fine I mostly ignored P/N when Clinton was president.

But when Bush JR won the election and I got sucked into P/N. It was kinda fun to watch the repubs get all bent out of shape. One of the best times was when someone threw a fake grenade at bush... Everyone was like OMG...They are trying to kill the president.. Back than this places was heavily Republican... I'd reply like...Yeah too bad it was a dud! and every right winger went ape shit.... Throwing things out like wave to the secret service when you see em.

Hahaha... Yes sometimes it got out of hand and I had my vacations...

I'm not out to change anyone's mind... Just like I'm sure the right wing hard core christain isn't gonna make me go to church. But it sure is fun to read spidy's posts... and some other hard core righties here. It's fun and gives me a good laugh.

So..... Go ahead keep thinking like you do... and most of all KEEP POSTING... It's funny and I need all the laughter I can get!

:)

Peace!

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Well, I came here for the hot deals... Than started with the tech side of it with getting into Seti and distributed computing. Everything seemed fine I mostly ignored P/N when Clinton was president.

But when Bush JR won the election and I got sucked into P/N. It was kinda fun to watch the repubs get all bent out of shape. One of the best times was when someone threw a fake grenade at bush... Everyone was like OMG...They are trying to kill the president.. Back than this places was heavily Republican... I'd reply like...Yeah too bad it was a dud! and every right winger went ape shit.... Throwing things out like wave to the secret service when you see em.

Hahaha... Yes sometimes it got out of hand and I had my vacations...

I'm not out to change anyone's mind... Just like I'm sure the right wing hard core christain isn't gonna make me go to church. But it sure is fun to read spidy's posts... and some other hard core righties here. It's fun and gives me a good laugh.

So..... Go ahead keep thinking like you do... and most of all KEEP POSTING... It's funny and I need all the laughter I can get!

:)

Peace!

Honestly loved this post made me laugh. I see way to many serious posters get bent here!!!

cirrrocco : Good info. Life changes can cause people to change. Currently I work 70 to 80 hours a week and often look to people that don't sacrafice as I do yet complain about hard times as weak. Perhaps some day I won't be so fortunate to work so much and might be in need.

I lost a six figure income once. Fired! No unimployment. No income at all. Applied for food stamps but denied because the car I owed too much for was woth too much. My kids and i suffered until I was able to get a new job. I could go on and on about how unfair this stuff is but I would rather bust my ass making sure I and mine have what is needed. BTW I was a taco tech at Taco Bell for a year to feed my kids :)

Great forum u guys keep me thinking.

Feb 6, 2007
I've seen some people change their way of thinking by what's been posted here. This forum has also made me question my own beliefs about a number of subjects (in combination with observations from the real world), such as welfare reform and firearm laws (I now lean conservative on both). More often than not, this forum is populated by people who have no interest in rational discussion or true debate, they just want to scream talking points at each other. But there are a few posters who value an honest dialogue, not only as an opportunity to espouse their own opinions, but also take in and consider opinions that run counter to theirs. It's rare, both here and in the real world, but when it happens, it's pretty cool.

I can understand your reticence to post here; people can act absolutely ridiculous. But if you tune out the noise, there are some posters here who can offer a viewpoint that may force you to question your own, and I, for one, see some value in that. At the very least, it forces me to consider my own beliefs and form arguments to defend them; if I can't do that, maybe they aren't worth holding.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've seen some people change their way of thinking by what's been posted here. This forum has also made me question my own beliefs about a number of subjects (in combination with observations from the real world), such as welfare reform and firearm laws (I now lean conservative on both). More often than not, this forum is populated by people who have no interest in rational discussion or true debate, they just want to scream talking points at each other. But there are a few posters who value an honest dialogue, not only as an opportunity to espouse their own opinions, but also take in and consider opinions that run counter to theirs. It's rare, both here and in the real world, but when it happens, it's pretty cool.

I can understand your reticence to post here; people can act absolutely ridiculous. But if you tune out the noise, there are some posters here who can offer a viewpoint that may force you to question your own, and I, for one, see some value in that. At the very least, it forces me to consider my own beliefs and form arguments to defend them; if I can't do that, maybe they aren't worth holding.

Thank you!!! Good post!!

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Sadly I agree. Bush spent like a drunken sailor on leave but Obama took it up a few notches. I voted Obama wishing for change but he spent more then ever!!

The alternative to spending to keep the economy functioning would've been a complete economic collapse, and that wouldn't have helped. We would not easily give up our military might, and government handouts would be even more needed in a Great Depression, so with the massive reduction in tax income the deficit would've still massively increased.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm a lifelong liberal democrat until this year. I'm certainly not a republican now, but discussions I've had here and elsewhere have pushed me much further toward the conservative end of the spectrum.

Even now I don't know how I'm voting tomorrow, I don't particularly care. I will vote though. I think most likely I'll vote for Gary Johnson, if Ron Paul were still in I'd definitely vote for him. I may go with Romney... Obama, is a less and less likely possibility. But, I haven't ruled out voting for him again.

Now, it's mostly the Trayvon case which has pushed me in this direction, seeing how vile and hypocritical the left can be. Still, I just wanted to say that some peoples' opinions are swayed by online discussions. It's rare, admittedly.

Good night, off to play Halo 4 a bunch.