Serious Thread: We need a website devoted specifically to jobs available because of stupid conservative propaganda.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Because I would love to know about available opportunities and frankly Monster just isnt worth a shit anymore.

Also we need a website database for all the jobs abandoned due to shitty pay and lousy conditions, so I can avoid them easier.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

Because I would love to know about available opportunities and frankly Monster just isnt worth a shit anymore.

Also we need a website database for all the jobs abandoned due to shitty pay and lousy conditions, so I can avoid them easier.
As far as poor wages, a lot of people still don't get it.

I'm doing consulting for a guy looking to open up a franchise model fast casual place in NYC. Before I agreed to phase 1 I said I have to know you are going to pay the grunt employees in Phase 2, opening the store, at least 15 an hour. He wasn't going to based upon his research and I said well, I'm not getting into this knowing that turnover and retention is going to suck, these people deserve more. He agreed on the 15 an hour.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm doing consulting for a guy looking to open up a franchise model fast casual place in NYC. Before I agreed to phase 1 I said I have to know you are going to pay the grunt employees in Phase 2, opening the store, at least 15 an hour. He wasn't going to based upon his research and I said well, I'm not getting into this knowing that turnover and retention is going to suck, these people deserve more. He agreed on the 15 an hour.
Yeah they dont see the big picture. If you pay shit you're going to get constant turnover and the people you have will always be clueless, which means your business will suck.

The people who settle will be dumb or lazy or bitter and your business will suck.

Reactions: Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I attended a talk the other week about how technology, deregulation policy, and union-busting has decimated truck drivers.

There isn't a driver shortage so much as the industry churns through workers (as high as 90% turnover). California has something like 3x the number of people (CDL holders) as open jobs. So it's not that there aren't qualified people - it's that so many people hate the work that they don't want to do it in the first place.

Back in the day, truck drivers were making 100k in today's dollars but working a lot fewer hours. Now, the job is much more demanding.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
There is already a website or two for that. Its called linkedin and indeed.

Reactions: Ajay

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I attended a talk the other week about how technology, deregulation policy, and union-busting has decimated truck drivers.

There isn't a driver shortage so much as the industry churns through workers (as high as 90% turnover). California has something like 3x the number of people (CDL holders) as open jobs. So it's not that there aren't qualified people - it's that so many people hate the work that they don't want to do it in the first place.

Back in the day, truck drivers were making 100k in today's dollars but working a lot fewer hours. Now, the job is much more demanding.
thats fine but has nothing to do with my thread, which is about the tons of jobs being abandoned due to conservative propaganda.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There is already a website or two for that. Its called linkedin and indeed.
Checked both sites and neither of them list the mass numbers of jobs opened up because of conservative propaganda which is the subject of my thread.

Always have to wait for the news to pick it up and thats too disorganized.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah they dont see the big picture. If you pay shit you're going to get constant turnover and the people you have will always be clueless, which means your business will suck.

The people who settle will be dumb or lazy or bitter and your business will suck.

That is exactly it. The guy told me on video chat but it's so easy a monkey could do it. I said except your entire business is reliant on those monkeys showing up and putting real effort into it, and it's an honest days work in one of the most expensive areas to live in the country too. (Honestly I think it should be an 18/hr minimum wage at least in NYC) He punched some numbers into his calculator and said you are right, we can make it work.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

I imagine the same is true in many/most industries. In my experience, I've seen the same in Healthcare. Folks have a lot more responsibility and ever growing job descriptions despite no commensurate increase in pay or resources (not to mention time in the day!). With the burnout of Covid, a lot of employees (both clinical and non clinical) are saying "Fuck it!" and taking early retirement or moving to other industries (not that I'm sure the grass is greener).

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
A little different in construction. Everyone wants to specialize to an absurd degree, and thinks that their specialty should be the highest paid because of the demanding skillset required. Most get away with it because no one wants to pick up heavy things anymore, or can't deal with the arcane knowledge of some trades. An astonishing number of people don't know what happens after they flush the toilet.

Reactions: pcgeek11

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
A little different in construction. Everyone wants to specialize to an absurd degree, and thinks that their specialty should be the highest paid because of the demanding skillset required. Most get away with it because no one wants to pick up heavy things anymore, or can't deal with the arcane knowledge of some trades. An astonishing number of people don't know what happens after they flush the toilet.
Why would people want to do a job that pays shit compared to other trades and destroys the body while doing it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Serious Thread: We need a website devoted specifically to jobs available because of stupid conservative propaganda.
Morticians
grave diggers
casket makers
crematoriums operators
family grief councilors
foster parents for children left behind

Reactions: Meghan54

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don’t know about you guys but pay isn’t the only concern any more. Work/life balance has been what people are complaining about. Too many people are over worked and stressed out.

If we really want to get Americans back to work I think making full time 32 hours instead of 40 is the way to do it, of course it would need to be without a loss in pay.

Who wouldn’t want three day weekends forever?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That is exactly it. The guy told me on video chat but it's so easy a monkey could do it. I said except your entire business is reliant on those monkeys showing up and putting real effort into it, and it's an honest days work in one of the most expensive areas to live in the country too. (Honestly I think it should be an 18/hr minimum wage at least in NYC) He punched some numbers into his calculator and said you are right, we can make it work.
If Dick's Drive In out here in the Seattle area can afford $19/hr with medical and childcare coverage while charging $2.25 for a cheeseburger, I think other cities can probably handle it too.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
If Dick's Drive In out here in the Seattle area can afford $19/hr with medical and childcare coverage while charging $2.25 for a cheeseburger, I think other cities can probably handle it too.
Dang. I just gave blood for my annual after fasting, and for traditions sake, I usually go to some fast food place and have a heart attack sandwich of some kind. I go to JackNTheBox (now Jacks) and get an Ultimate Breakfast sandwich. This thing is comprised of 2 fried eggs 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices of ham, and 2 slices of bacon. When I was working, every other Friday I would pick up one of those on the way in to work. IIRC they were $4 and some change then (just a couple years) and the same sandwich was $6.19! Yikes, this is on the other side of the Sound from any Dick's.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Dang. I just gave blood for my annual after fasting, and for traditions sake, I usually go to some fast food place and have a heart attack sandwich of some kind. I go to JackNTheBox (now Jacks) and get an Ultimate Breakfast sandwich. This thing is comprised of 2 fried eggs 2 slices of cheese, 2 slices of ham, and 2 slices of bacon. When I was working, every other Friday I would pick up one of those on the way in to work. IIRC they were $4 and some change then (just a couple years) and the same sandwich was $6.19! Yikes, this is on the other side of the Sound from any Dick's.
I think this is multifactorial. The cost of most meat products is up this year substantially. Gas prices also rising to record peaks (7year high and double what they were 12 months ago). Inflation also up. Kinda a mess out there.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Good article. It doesn't mention the airlines, who have had to quit selling alcohol on planes due to drunken abusive anti-maskers. You know it's more than a few isolated cases when corporations are willing to cut off a revenue source.

The larger point is that republican POTUSes have a history of leaving behind recessions for their democratic successors, then they try to sabotage the recovery. I mean, think about it. All three of the last GOP POTUSES have left behind recessions. GHWB, the early 90's recession. GWB, the Great Recession. Trump, the COVID recession.

And all three times they have tried to sabotage the recovery, but in the first two, it was republicans in Congress doing it by obstructionism (people forget the GOP voted down Clinton's stimulus bill.) But this time around, the conservative rank and file crazies have also gotten involved, all fueled by GOP elected officials and "thought leaders" who discourage wearing masks and getting vaccinated. And all to the GOP's electoral benefit as Biden gets blamed for a problem economy, labor shortage, and higher than expected COVID deaths.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Good article. It doesn't mention the airlines, who have had to quit selling alcohol on planes due to drunken abusive anti-maskers. You know it's more than a few isolated cases when corporations are willing to cut off a revenue source.

The larger point is that republican POTUSes have a history of leaving behind recessions for their democratic successors, then they try to sabotage the recovery. I mean, think about it. All three of the last GOP POTUSES have left behind recessions. GHWB, the early 90's recession. GWB, the Great Recession. Trump, the COVID recession.

And all three times they have tried to sabotage the recovery, but in the first two, it was republicans in Congress doing it by obstructionism (people forget the GOP voted down Clinton's stimulus bill.) But this time around, the conservative rank and file crazies have also gotten involved, all fueled by GOP elected officials and "thought leaders" who discourage wearing masks and getting vaccinated. And all to the GOP's electoral benefit as Biden gets blamed for a problem economy, labor shortage, and higher than expected COVID deaths.
Your last paragraph is very pertinent. They really could care less what they do for political posture, even at the expense of the country. They seem to think like royalty. They have a Devine divine right to be in charge, nothing else matters.

interesting: Devine must be capitalized?

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Your last paragraph is very pertinent. They really could care less what they do for political posture, even at the expense of the country. They seem to think like royalty. They have a Devine right to be in charge, nothing else matters.

interesting: Devine must be capitalized?
The typo got you, it's "divine", it probably thinks Devine is a name?

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I don’t know about you guys but pay isn’t the only concern any more. Work/life balance has been what people are complaining about. Too many people are over worked and stressed out.

If we really want to get Americans back to work I think making full time 32 hours instead of 40 is the way to do it, of course it would need to be without a loss in pay.

Who wouldn’t want three day weekends forever?
I definitely think this is a large part of the younger generations. I'm an old millennial, but spend a lot of time with new crops of younger professionals (21-25 years) due to work and there is certainly an emphasis on work/life balance, meaning in work, burnout, etc. Admittedly, I think things are swinging a little too far in that direction, but a correction is certainly needed.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Poor wages, shitty working conditions, no benefits, jack-ass bosses, and did I mention shitty wages???

An McDonalds near me had a help wanted sign listing $15 an hour AFTER 9 PM. "After 9 pm", and they close at 11 pm.

Or, take my sister who took a desk job at the local airport checking in USPS, UPS and FEDEX shipments. One night the boss was short of fork-lift drivers and actually insisted my sister drive a fork-lift to load a coffin (casket) containing a dead body onto a pallet.
Never driven a fork-lift in her life....
She refused, the boss insisted, she quit on the spot.
Now THAT is one reason we have a labor shortage. Shitty bosses.

Untitled2.jpg