Serious Sam 4 now available

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I should play through the Serious Sam games next. I've had them on Steam for years.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It's gotten terrible reviews on Steam. IGN said it was medicore.

Think I'll wait. I watched gameplay and TBH it looks boring.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Never got the SS games. I'd drop into a level, and slowly hordes and hordes of enemies would begin rushing me. I'd run, I'd shoot, I'd fight and I'd always die confused wondering where the hell they hid the fun in getting overrun and overwhelmed my a monstrous horde of enemies.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
It's gotten terrible reviews on Steam. IGN said it was medicore.

I am not sure I would agree with "terrible." On the SS Steam page reviews are listed as mixed with 69% percent being positive. But I get it, SS gameplay has always been simplistic…overwhelming enemies rushing at you level after level with a boss thrown in from time to time for good measure. That is pretty much it. Croteam never seemed to think it necessary to change things up, just lather, rinse, repeat, game after game.

I think if you like this game or not will come down to how much you are jonesing for more levels of this kind of repetitive game play.

The upside is with mediocre reviews we probably don't have long to wait for a sale. I think I will sit back and wait for that sale then pick it up on GOG.

-KeithP

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Never got the SS games. I'd drop into a level, and slowly hordes and hordes of enemies would begin rushing me. I'd run, I'd shoot, I'd fight and I'd always die confused wondering where the hell they hid the fun in getting overrun and overwhelmed my a monstrous horde of enemies.
everything about the first one was over the top ridiculous. huge numbers of enemies, huge outdoor areas, ridiculous boss enemies, etc. some puzzles, but strategy? not really. it was fun.

Reactions: Craig234

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
everything about the first one was over the top ridiculous. huge numbers of enemies, huge outdoor areas, ridiculous boss enemies, etc. some puzzles, but strategy? not really. it was fun.

I loved the first one. It was released in 2000. Gaming back then was much simpler. UT, and Quake were huge then. Today, gamers expect much more. Fast twich gaming has fallen out and we now have rpg elements in many games today. It's like Croteam is stuck in the past.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I think the game went down the drain after SS 1st and 2nd Encounter. The Egypt maps were fun

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I loved the first one. It was released in 2000. Gaming back then was much simpler. UT, and Quake were huge then. Today, gamers expect much more. Fast twich gaming has fallen out and we now have rpg elements in many games today. It's like Croteam is stuck in the past.

-The new Doom and Wolfenstein games (at least the first two of the reboot series) would suggest otherwise.

Just making the same game you released in 2000 again in 2020 as a full price AAA game is not going to fly.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Serious Sam is about the experience. It creates a fast paced, frantic atmosphere. And I felt it really did well at delivering that experience. It would be different if a person couldn't beat the levels, but most can. It's more exciting than most games and FPS games, for some players; not everyone likes it. I don't like FPS as a genre, but enjoy Serious Sam now and then, and found it pretty unique. Expect sequels are more of the same.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
we used to call those adventure games.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
we used to call those adventure games.

Adventure games were point and click games, no FPS, no 'levels', as a rule. The very first, before graphics, was called "Adventure", but was named Colossal Caves. But the heydey were graphic adventures, most famously from Sierra, another big name LucasArts.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

I've only played the 3rd game, but strategy (or maybe tactics is the better word here) were definitely necessary to proceed in the game.

I can't help but wonder if this is why many people just didn't like or "get" these games. You can't just run around in circles shooting wildly.

You have to learn to use the environment to your advantage. Lure the suiciders into a chokepoint and then let them explode and wipe out each other. That sort of thing. And then be ready to switch tactics when a different type of enemy arrives (you wouldn't want to be caught in a narrow chokepoint when those Kleer skeletons come flying at you).

Maybe I just suck at twitch FPS, but it took me some time to figure those things out. Once I did, the game became easier and more enjoyable.

But I still hate Kleers.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
watching this review, i saw at least two real-to-life Rome locations: castel sant' angelo and the vatican.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Very positive reviews on Steam, I might pick it up when it goes on sale.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This is one of those where I will buy it when it is under $10 on GOG.

Reactions: Igo69