Serious Sam 3 - Please tell me it gets better

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm a huge fan of the Serious Sam franchise, having every game (including the HD versions) and playing through them multiple times. I just upgraded to a Catleap 2560x1440 monitor and 7950 and wanted to test it out and hadn't play SS3 yet so I fired it up the last two nights and put 4 hours into it.

Ok, maybe I'm just used to the older games where environments change, you're in the jungle, a temple, the mountain...but this game...wow. I just finished level 4 and I'm still in the freaking city! I'm so sick of running around city blocks, having to look inside of buildings for power-ups and rarely finding any secrets. I'm finding like 2/15 secrets per board. It seems more like a tactical shooter than the others as when you turn a corner you have to be careful that there's not a bad guy there, unlike the other series where they would come running at you and it was a complete gun-fest.

So, does this game get any better? I was so frustrated after last night's round that I'm contemplating not loading it up tonight. I got it for $5 on sale so as it sits I'm at $1.25/hour. I can live with that!

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
yeah it gets better... at least the city maps must be ending near where you are

the bad thing about ss3 is that its TRULY a SS game in the last couple levels, i did enjoy it though

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Definitely gets better... Keep playing.

My advice though: Play with a friend or two. Much more fun IMHO

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yup, it gets better.

It's well-known that SS3 starts out dumb, then ramps up after the first few levels.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i have it and played it only 20 minutes.

1st thing you do in the dlc. look back...you see a lonely island not SO far away... being a SS fan i get the feeling there will be a secret there.
So i swim there. Find a CANNON in the island... shoot it... little cutscene with one of the enemies in a boat. the cannon bomb hits the boat and it sinks with the enemy

priceless... worth the dlc already :p

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
the thing is that the game doesnt have so many levels....

i think the game has 10 levels?

The game has 12 "chapters" overall. (Had to look it up)

More if you buy the Jewel of the Nile expansion. I picked it up for $2.50 a couple months ago on Amazon.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I only played a little but maybe i'll pick up where I left off. It didn't have the same appeal as the other ones, but maybe I didn't play enough? Hard to say.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks for the replies everyone; I'm glad it's going to get better. I did pick up the expansion and will definitely play it after I finish the main game.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I only played a little but maybe i'll pick up where I left off. It didn't have the same appeal as the other ones, but maybe I didn't play enough? Hard to say.
Same. I have so many games that if they dont catch my fancy right away they are tossed aside and end up lost in the shuffle.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
The last 1/2 of that game reminded me soooo much of the first SS....you need to get there.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I just played through three more levels since getting past the city levels and this game is great! Reminds me of the old Serious Sam games. I can't wait to finish it and play the DLC.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
I just played through three more levels since getting past the city levels and this game is great! Reminds me of the old Serious Sam games. I can't wait to finish it and play the DLC.

see? we told you =D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am having loads of fun playing SS3.

nothing seems quite as satisfying as killing things with a sledgehammer.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm sort of running into the same problem as the OP, though as long as I stay in the outdoor environments I like it a lot more. The indoor environments kind of suck and I get bored.

Anyway, I've only played a few hours of it so far because I seem to be having the same problem I did with Borderlands; once I play for more than fifteen or twenty minutes I get a headache. Someone mentioned for Borderlands it had something to do with the FOV, so does anyone know if this game has a similar issue and if there is any way to fix it?

Not sure I can keep playing if I am going to get a crushing headache after each session...

KT

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sort of running into the same problem as the OP, though as long as I stay in the outdoor environments I like it a lot more. The indoor environments kind of suck and I get bored.

Anyway, I've only played a few hours of it so far because I seem to be having the same problem I did with Borderlands; once I play for more than fifteen or twenty minutes I get a headache. Someone mentioned for Borderlands it had something to do with the FOV, so does anyone know if this game has a similar issue and if there is any way to fix it?

Not sure I can keep playing if I am going to get a crushing headache after each session...

KT

Fortunately, Serious Sam 3 has an FOV (field of view) slider. Go into the game settings and you should find it under Video or Gameplay settings (it's been a while, I can't remember exactly). Crank it up a few notches and see if that's any better; if not, keep cranking it up until you have enough "breathing room" and you don't feel sick anymore. :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Fortunately, Serious Sam 3 has an FOV slider. Go into the game settings and you should find it under Video or Gameplay settings (it's been a while, I can't remember exactly). Crank it up a few notches and see if that's any better; if not, keep cranking it up until you have enough "breathing room" and you don't feel sick anymore. :)

Cool, I'll try that, thanks. :thumbsup:

It's weird this is only the second time I've encountered this, and both times were recent, since I've been gaming for ages. Must be getting old. :(

KT