Serious Question: Got trapped in my apartment for 2 hours.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
UPDATE: Took it apart and it looks incredibly easy to fix. lol I feel like an idiot.
UPDATE 2: Took out the offending part completely and left the locking mechanism in. Works perfect now. lol

Long story short,

Took a dump and the doorknob broke in my bathroom door and I was trapped for 2 hours - it's still a problem and can NOT be fixed by me.

I was lucky I had a cell phone at the time and called my brother who had an extra key to my apartment, so I didn't have to dial the Fire Department. It took him about 20 minutes to get me out after he got here.

As of right now, I can NOT use my bathroom and close the door. If I have company, they will have to use the bathroom while the door is open, if it gets close to closing, they'll be trapped.

*I DO NOT BELIEVE IT WILL BE POSSIBLE TO REOPEN THE DOOR AGAIN IF IT EVER CLOSES - we broke it further trying to open it*.

I am extremely upset at this, how can I get my landlord to fix this ASAP? They have an extremely bad record of making me wait to fix stuff in my apartment. Can I dial 311 and complain about it if they don't fix it the day I mention it to them?

If I didn't have my cell phone, I would have had to scream out my window for someone to call the FDNY to break the door to my apartment down and then break the bathroom door down. I'm actually afraid I'll be trapped if the wind accidentally closes it, so I put a chair in front of it.

Last edited:

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
You don't even describe the problem, but 99% chance it's because of a cheapass doorknob that uses plastic inserts inside the center piece. If the knob turns but nothing happens, that's your issue.

And sorry, but LOfuckingL at you sitting in your bathroom for two hours. Just be a man and bust the goddamn jamb out.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Man modern technology. HALP HALP HALP oh my phone oooo pretty let me watch videos for two hours instead of just kicking the door down.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Don't know what it's called, but how hard is it to plug up the hole where the metal piece goes in? duh! Plug it enough where the door can close and be pushed open.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Don't know what it's called, but how hard is it to plug up the hole where the metal piece goes in? duh! Plug it enough where the door can close and be pushed open.

The part on the door that goes in and out is completely seized. I tried using a hammer to get it to move but it won't budge. If it closes, I am dead.

I have no idea how to fix this shit. None.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Could have been worse. The toilet could have overflowed and then you try and stop the water and the valve breaks. Then the bathroom just keeps filling up and up with water. And turds.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Guys serious question.

Is it possible to file a complaint with the Fire Department or NYC 311 to complain? It's extremely dangerous to be trapped in an apartment with no way out.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Undo the screws on the handle, they will be on the lock side. Take the handles off of the cylinder. Push the cylinder out of the side of the door, you may need to remove screws on the cylinder plate. You can use the door without a handle for awhile. A new lockable door knob only costs $10 at a hardware store.

Do not call the fire department, they will laugh at you.

Do not panic, you are smarter than a door. You know the saying, dumb as a door knob right?

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
It's already broke, take the knob apart so you can figure out how to install a new one. Or wait forever for your apparently useless landlord.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
The part on the door that goes in and out is completely seized. I tried using a hammer to get it to move but it won't budge. If it closes, I am dead.

LOL....plug the hole on the door frame.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Dude. It's an interior door. A 100lb woman could throw herself at it hard enough to pull the striker plate out. Fuck, most of us could just go through the center of the door if we wanted to. Even through it's likely made of a modern, super-strong space-age composite known as 'cardboard.'

Look for screws on the door handle. There are two on either the outside knob or the inside knob. Take them out. Knob falls off. There are two on the side of the door. Take them out and pull the latch out. Done. You're safe.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
It's already broke, take the knob apart so you can figure out how to install a new one. Or wait forever for your apparently useless landlord.

I just did and it looks incredibly easy to fix myself. Going to take it to Home Depot tomorrow and try to find a replacement.

I feel like such a bitch now.

I'll post an update tomorrow. :thumbsup:

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
lol, I took it further apart and took the offending part out. Don't really need it since the bottom can be used to lock the door.

I'd replace the whole thing but there is no point now. lol.

Thanks ATOT. You gave me strength today.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Your application for a renewal man card has been accepted and is pending review. Please wait 3 weeks for review and 6 to 8 weeks for shipment.

Thank you for contacting Man Up services. Have a great day.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Only on AT:OT will you find a bald ape that can use a smartphone with 10 times the computational power of the first moon lander but can't change a handle and lock set of a bloody door.

If you had a man card I would be flying over there right now to take it off you, as you actually posted this here I know you don't have a man card so I can safely mock you over the interwebs.

Here is the easiest way to fix the problem.

Go outside and look for a man, you may have trouble because you think a man looks something like you. They don't. Just find a male human being whos arm are roughly 3 times the size of yours, he will have stubble and be wearing non ironic clothes. If you aren't sure if someone is a man or not one sure fire way to tell is watching a woman walking by him, her knees will go weak and she will stumble a little.

Once you have found the man go take his huge hand in yours, look into his eyes and say this.

"Can you help me please I need a man"

You can then take him to your apartment (GET HIM A BEER) and he will fix your door.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Only on AT:OT will you find a bald ape that can use a smartphone with 10 times the computational power of the first moon lander but can't change a handle and lock set of a bloody door.

If you had a man card I would be flying over there right now to take it off you, as you actually posted this here I know you don't have a man card so I can safely mock you over the interwebs.

Here is the easiest way to fix the problem.

Go outside and look for a man, you may have trouble because you think a man looks something like you. They don't. Just find a male human being whos arm are roughly 3 times the size of yours, he will have stubble and be wearing non ironic clothes. If you aren't sure if someone is a man or not one sure fire way to tell is watching a woman walking by him, her knees will go weak and she will stumble a little.

Once you have found the man go take his huge hand in yours, look into his eyes and say this.

"Can you help me please I need a man"

You can then take him to your apartment (GET HIM A BEER) and he will fix your door.

:^D

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Perhaps you should consider some sort of assisted living?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
This actually happened to me twice: One with the door to my condo, a rather well-reinforced door that wasn't going to budge an inch on a kick - I had to call a locksmith to literally cut the handle open.

The other time was on the door to my bedroom. I didn't have a cell phone or anything in there with me, but luckily I did happen to have a screwdriver in my nightstand; I disassembled the thing to get out. Since then I've always kept a screwdriver set in the nightstand, ever vigilant against the threat of fucked up door handles.