Dec 30, 2007
I built an ITX machine for a friend consisting of

G3258
GA-H97N-WIFI
8gb DDR3
HIS HD7950
Corsair H60 w/ aftermarket Corsair fan
Silverstone SG13 case

Here's the problem. The H60 reads 4000RPM's in the Bios, but when I monitor the temps, the idle creeps up from the initial 60° to 100° and sits there. Sometimes I hear the coolant flowing through the unit, a lot of times I don't. I've tried remounting the cooler but no dice. The board only has a CPU and SYS fan header. Perhaps I should try a 4pin to Molex so the unit can draw power directly from the PSU?

My hypothesis: being an H97 chip instead of a Z series, and since the board only draws from a 4 pin connector, it's not supplying enough power to make the pump actually work all the time, or does this issue sound more like a faulty pump?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It's likely either the pump or the pump connection. This is one reason I'd abjured using an AiO, and the same reason that AigoMorla speaks of using a double-pump configuration to assure there's backup in a custom water rig.

You could continue to troubleshoot, trying the direct-connect to the PSU. I would assume that you set this up for thermal control of the pump and fans? That you'd either tweaked the motherboard fan-control menu, or done it in software?

severus

Dec 30, 2007
I tweaked the fan speeds in the bios. Initially the bios was reporting 0000 RPM's for the pump so I thought that was the problem. I then forced it to full which is around 4200RPMS, still I don't hear the coolant cycling the majority of the time. It wasn't evident at first, but when I tried to play a non-demanding game like CS:GO, I noticed FPS was around 10-20 on 1080p low settings. This led me to check CPU temps in HWMonitor and in the Bios. Both confirm each other. I will pick up a 4 pin to molex connector tonight and try that. If that does not work, a friend of mine upgraded to an H100 and he has an H60 that he'll give me for free. Being that I am using a mITX case, it's either AiO or a low profile CPU fan, which will probably sit around 80°...

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
The BIOS is not a reliable method of controlling/monitoring AIO pumps. That's why they have software for that. That said, how long have you (and your friend) had the H60? The H60 was originally released in 2011 and I don't recall the original warranty length, but it's typically 3-5 years. My general mindset with computer parts is once you've hit end of warranty, be prepared to replace them.