Series of powerful explosions rock Texas City BP chemical plant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
no terrorists... this stuff happens all the time in texas. you can set your watch by the chemical plant explosions.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
just had this on FoxNews...no more details than the link you have.

I really hope everyone is ok

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SaigonK
This just in!

My local hockey team is losing 3-0 in the Quebec Hockey Leaugue finals! Sources say it is due to terroists playing on the other team...

Cmon man get a clue....
damn sepertists.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
they say it was cause by a fire in a furnace...terrorists must be working for Trane now.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Text

Explosion rocks Texan oil refinery
Explosions have rocked a BP refinery and chemical plant complex in Texas City in the US.

The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental but a detailed examination of the area hit by the fire would not be made before morning, local television and radio reports said.

BP has been maintaining high security at its Texas City refinery after the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) warned last week of a security threat to refiners in the area.

The fire involved a gasoline-producing unit at the third-largest US refinery, BP spokeswoman Annie Smith told WB network affiliate KHWB-TV.

Media reports said the explosions rocked the refinery shortly after 7:00pm local time and the plant was still burning.

Other refineries in Texas City were not being evacuated even though residents of the city located 48 kilometres south of Houston were ordered to remain indoors until shortly after 9:00pm.

BP Texas City security officials received the FBI notification along with all other refiners in Texas, the spokeswoman had said last Thursday.

Cities where the refineries are located were also told of the threat and security experts have said refineries located near highways and waterways, like many plants in Texas, Louisiana and California, are more vulnerable to possible attack. Reuters

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: dethman
ah, ownage by the mods. love it.

Then why is "edited by anandtech moderator" not there?
If he edited the thread after the mods, it would say it was edited by him, not the mod. Right?

: ) Amanda

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ohtwell

If he edited the thread after the mods, it would say it was edited by him, not the mod. Right?

I don't believe so. I think their edit superimposes any editing done by a user. But I could be easily wrong.

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

I don't believe so. I think their edit superimposes any editing done by a user. But I could be easily wrong.
Well, you are just wrong! :p

Example

My post was edited by the mod, but then I edited. Now it says it was edited by me.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Well, you are just wrong! :p

Example

My post was edited by the mod, but then I edited. Now it says it was edited by me.

:Q Me == pwned.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Cities where the refineries are located were also told of the threat and security experts have said refineries located near highways and waterways, like many plants in Texas, Louisiana and California, are more vulnerable to possible attack.
ah ha! see! i'm not the only one who is making unsubstantiated claims of terrorism while spreading news!