Sept, 05/08 Gallup Polls Obama up 4%

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
And Rasmussen puts the race at a dead heat. The truth is in there somewhere.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: woodie1

I think McCain should have the lead for this entire week unless something happens. The polls usually peak midweek.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

I think McCain should have the lead for this entire week unless something happens. The polls usually peak midweek.

I kinda thought after his convention and VP pick he would of done better for awhile.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
The fact that it's close should worry Democrats. They have failed to link McCain to Bush.

I recommend two months of negative ads with close-ups of McCains yellow teeth. (Stay away from Palin and label her a "gossip-column celebrity."

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

I kinda thought after his convention and VP pick he would of done better for awhile.

Even though some Republicans hate to admit it, Palin is turning off a lot of moderates. I believe that is why McCain went for the center during his convention speech. But his speech contradicted everything that happened before it so it may lead everyone confused. Even today, McCain says that he'll have Democrats in his cabinet. Everyone assumes he means Lieberman. But, to be honest, I doubt many think he is sincere considering how his campaign has ran; how his convention ran; and his new runningmate. Besides, if elected, he needs Republicans more than they need him so I think all these bones he's throwing out there is to lure the moderates. I doubt it'll work.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Infohawk
The fact that it's close should worry Democrats. They have failed to link McCain to Bush.

I recommend two months of negative ads with close-ups of McCains yellow teeth. (Stay away from Palin and label her a "gossip-column celebrity."

Ignoring Palin is self-destructive and Obama isn't doing that. He's attacking her on her record and policies, rather than personally. Besides, there's nothing worse than belittling the woman on the ticket. They have to take her seriously and that's what will win the election for them.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004

Even though some Republicans hate to admit it, Palin is turning off a lot of moderates. I believe that is why McCain went for the center during his convention speech. But his speech contradicted everything that happened before it so it may lead everyone confused. Even today, McCain says that he'll have Democrats in his cabinet. Everyone assumes he means Lieberman. But, to be honest, I doubt many think he is sincere considering how his campaign has ran; how his convention ran; and his new runningmate. Besides, if elected, he needs Republicans more than they need him so I think all these bones he's throwing out there is to lure the moderates. I doubt it'll work.
He was hoping the moderates wouldn't tune in until his speech and would miss all the vitriol that preceded it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Polls mean nothing except at the state levels. Fact is, McCain is having to defend many states that were solid red in '00 and '04. Obama isn't having the same problem.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Which explains why McCain went from 7 down to 3 up in 3 days...

Are you delusional or just desperate?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
oh my god! I thought Palin was a "Rock Star!?"

I thought people loved her all the world around!?

McCain should be up by at least 10 points!!!

why isn't he blowing Obama out of the water?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Speaking of polls and people and responses...

Karl Rove is very nasty smart, also a snake in the grass.
He runs and writes the smear tactics for the GOP, as well as Palin's speech last week.

Its really evil how he operates, but very effective.
Like with Palin's speech. She said Obama had some community organizer experience.
And everyone at the GOP laughed.
The way they state it, you'd think Obama is some guy that went from community organizer
to candidate for president.
They leave out he was a congressman and then a US senator.
Community organizer was his beginning in getting involved with politics and people.

You really have to catch how Rove turns and twists things, so someone watching
walks away thinking Obama went from community organizer right to presidential candidate.

And just like in that a lot of people still believe Iraq attacked us on 9/11, a lot of people are going to believe Obama only has some community organizer experience, and then thought he should run for US president.

Its a skillful mind game they play, that someone not very engaged might be fooled into going along with and believe.

Pretty scary how voters can be "played" by the skills of Karl Rove and his like. Then add in Palin, and Mccain, where they repeat it enough so that some a misleading statement written by Rove becomes fact in the mind of the disengaged voter.
Just amazing.
You know? That?s just how we got stuck with Bush? Twice!

So its no wonder the polls are close... People will constantly vote against their own best interest. Nothing has changed. The GOP just pretends that Bush never existed.
They will do the same with Mccain/Palin in 2012.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
FWIW (not much), Gallup USA is supposed to show McLame up 54 44 or something like that tomorrow.

Larry Sabato said said these post convention bounces don't mean much, and you can predict as much by flipping a coin.

I think Palin is just a surrogate for wedge issues this year; get you to react emotionally and viscerally, rather than thinking about any issues.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
The way they state it, you'd think Obama is some guy that went from community organizer to candidate for president.

that's not particularly Rovian, the Obama camp does the same thing by talking as if Palin went straight from the PTA to being a candidate for VP

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"The Republicans had a very successful convention and, at least initially, the selection of Sarah Palin has made a big difference," says political scientist Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia. "He's in a far better position than his people imagined he would be in at this point."

However, in an analysis of the impact of political conventions since 1960, Sabato concluded that post-convention polls signal the election's outcome only about half the time. "You could flip a coin and be about as predictive," he says. "It is really surprising how quickly convention memories fade."

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: OrByte

Go look at the internals. Republican enthusiasm is up. Palin's approvals are very high (58% with 40% very favorable). McCain has cut into Obama's lead among women (particularly older working class women). These negative, personal attacks we saw here and elsewhere failed and only made her numbers climb and the Republicans circle the wagon.

And, at least according to Gallup, among likely votes, McCain is up by 10%.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Polls generally don't mean much until a week or two out from the election. I wouldn't put too much credence in any of them till late October . . .

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: chowderhead
Originally posted by: OrByte

Go look at the internals. Republican enthusiasm is up. Palin's approvals are very high (58% with 40% very favorable). McCain has cut into Obama's lead among women (particularly older working class women). These negative, personal attacks we saw here and elsewhere failed and only made her numbers climb and the Republicans circle the wagon.

And, at least according to Gallup, among likely votes, McCain is up by 10%.

wow, I might as well not show up to vote then!!

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: sportage
The way they state it, you'd think Obama is some guy that went from community organizer
to candidate for president.
They leave out he was a congressman and then a US senator.
Community organizer was his beginning in getting involved with politics and people.

You really have to catch how Rove turns and twists things, so someone watching
walks away thinking Obama went from community organizer right to presidential candidate.

And this is different from the way the Obama camp reacted to the Palin nomination when it was first announced? You know, the press release that practically ignored the fact that Palin is a current governor and instead said: "Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign-policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency."?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"He's in a far better position than his people imagined he would be in at this point."

This is probably the most accurate assessment of what adding Palin to the ticket means right now; everything else is noise.

Still an uphill trek electorally, but definitely much more competitive than before the addition of Palin.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: sportage
Speaking of polls and people and responses...

Karl Rove is very nasty smart, also a snake in the grass.
He runs and writes the smear tactics for the GOP, as well as Palin's speech last week.
Are you this much of an idiot in real life??

Her speech was writen by Matthew Scully. That fact has been ALL over the news.