Sensationalized: Toss a cigarette on the ground in NYC? That's a 7 cop beat down!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I guess murdering one man over cigarettes is not enough for NYPD.

Your attempt to hide the truth to further your agenda is sickening. He wasn't murdered. He was fat and out of shape. This is what killed him. It wasn't over a cigarette, it was over a career criminal resisting arrest. His body couldn't take the struggle, because he was in very poor health. But good try.

Again, take the fucking ticket, or say sorry and you won't do it again, then move on. He could have handled it like an adult, instead he handled it like a career thug.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Even if it was just for littering, which I doubt that is all happened, it's an arrestable offense if you are a douchebag. Stop being a douchebag, no reason to have shit end up like this.

If I broke the law, I'll surrender my rights. Would you not do the same?
7823db9f0376937c6a53ffdb70001cc6.jpg

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Entire city is clean. Was the cleanest city I've ever been to. Proof that consequences work.

public beatings for chewing gum will do amazing things

I noticed it when I was in Taiwan as well, extremely clean for its size, I think in Asian countries that it has a lot to do with the fact that there are very few public trash bins, everyone just takes it with them and disposes of it at their house. Its like that in Japan as well

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
public beatings for chewing gum will do amazing things

I noticed it when I was in Taiwan as well, extremely clean for its size, I think in Asian countries that it has a lot to do with the fact that there are very few public trash bins, everyone just takes it with them and disposes of it at their house. Its like that in Japan as well

It's obvious you haven't been to Singapore, in some areas there are trashcans every 25 feet. other areas every 50 feet.

Singapore-street-shopping.jpg
Singapore-Japanese-Street-Performer.jpg

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
The cop said it was for littering.

Maybe you missed the news where NYPD has a habit of killing unarmed black men? And all of the sudden 7 cops surround a black guy. I'd be a bit nervous.

And no, I won't surrender my rights.

Habit? No.

If you don't want to comply when under arrest, enjoy your youtube fame. I'm sure you will have people cheering you on, but the judge and the majority of the public will have a completely different opinion.

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
Could you provide your detail on why you think it would be sooner? Is your comparison thought, the physical enforcement of laws = 1930's germany? Like if someone runs from the police and they capture him, they captured him like the brownshirts would have kidnapped jews?

Seven police officers for someone who littered?

How about a Public Defender arrested for not wanting a client be photographed and questioned by a police officer without a lawyer present? http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...or-intervening-between-police-and-her-client/

How about a man getting pepper sprayed because he walked too close to a police officer while on the phone? http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...ng-pepper-sprayed-at-MLK-rally-290149021.html At least in this case the man was not arrested.

Now the video in the OP starts out with the man was standing there talking on the phone, surrounded by the cops. What did the man do that required all those officers in the first place? While I was not there as a witness, my gut tells me besides the littering, the man's other offense was that he probably did not end the call he was on immediately when told by the officer.

It goes with the growing trend in law enforcement to totally fuck over people who do not take every word spoken by an officer as an order to be instantly obeyed without question.

A cop tells you to sit down and you don't immediately sit, out come the cuffs. Walk down the street and a cop stops you and wants to see your ID and you refuse, out come the cuffs. Cop tells you to hang up the phone or stop recording and you don't, out come the cuffs.

It seems like many officers forget they are dealing with civilians and not other law enforcement or military who are trained to obey orders instantly and without question. It seems like many people are getting tired of this but are afraid to speak out because they fear drawing the attention of the police.

Add all this up and pretty soon you have a society looking over their shoulder in fear of somehow drawing the attention of the police, because if you do not respond instantly to the officer's liking, you could get beat up and or sent off to jail.

Maybe I am overly sensitive, I had relatives (all dead now) who grew up in Nazi Germany, and what I am seeing and reading about today really does come close to the stories of how life was like back then for them.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Anyone here read the news much? If so you might feel a little happier in the long run by not reading it so often.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Maybe I am overly sensitive, I had relatives (all dead now) who grew up in Nazi Germany, and what I am seeing and reading about today really does come close to the stories of how life was like back then for them.

You are being overly sensitive. This is so far from Nazi Germany it's crazy to even logically feel like you know what it's like to be a persecuted jew sent off to a death camp.

Don't be upset 7 cops showed up to control a resistive and non-compliant grown man. Because those 7 cops showed up, nobody was injured.

And YES please do what the cops ask you to. They aren't ordering you into an oven. Why? Because they don't do that shit! That is such a tin-foil hat conspiracy. Guess who would still be alive if they didn't have so much fucking pride they couldn't do something as simple as comply: nearly everyone

If you get stopped by a cop, and they say sit down. Sit the fuck down. Sitting down is not licking a boot or getting into an oven, it's you sitting the fuck down.

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
You are being overly sensitive. This is so far from Nazi Germany it's crazy to even logically feel like you know what it's like to be a persecuted jew sent off to a death camp.

You do know that Jews were not the only ones persecuted during that time. Pretty much anybody who ran afoul of the "party" could find themselves in jail - or worse.

I know it goes against conventional thinking, but not every German citizen at the time was a card carrying Nazi.. many were not party members by choice and all were required to register with the party.

at least in that respect, we are nowhere close to that.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
You do know that Jews were not the only ones persecuted during that time. Pretty much anybody who ran afoul of the "party" could find themselves in jail - or worse.

I know it goes against conventional thinking, but not every German citizen at the time was a card carrying Nazi.. many were not party members by choice and all were required to register with the party.

at least in that respect, we are nowhere close to that.

If this happens in the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht

Then you can say, "hey, this is what nazi germany must have been like"

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I for one am glad at the improved efficiency of the NYPD. Just a few short years ago this kind of beat down would have taken at least 10 officers. Hopefully they've freed up enough officers to stop people from performing research for terrorist attacks, er taking pictures of buildings an public places.

May 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure it was him getting belligerent the reason he got dogpiled. Most people would have likely received a citation. If you go out of your way to be an ass to the police they are going to incite the full extent of the law on you. Look I'm a felon. If anyone would have a right to think that cops were out to get them it would be me. Every time I get stopped the cops know right off the bat I'm a convicted felon. I just say yes sir no sir and they show me the same respect I show them. It's a pretty simple concept that works.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I'm pretty sure it was him getting belligerent the reason he got dogpiled. Most people would have likely received a citation. If you go out of your way to be an ass to the police they are going to incite the full extent of the law on you. Look I'm a felon. If anyone would have a right to think that cops were out to get them it would be me. Every time I get stopped the cops know right off the bat I'm a convicted felon. I just say yes sir no sir and they show me the same respect I show them. It's a pretty simple concept that works.

First thing I say is "I have a gun on me" and I seem to get respect shown to me as well.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I don't get it. 7 cops just happen to be on the corner when the guy threw his cigarette or did it start with him littering and then escalated when he wouldn't cooperate? Looks like the cops were already there responding to something when the video started.

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
If this happens in the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht

Then you can say, "hey, this is what nazi germany must have been like"

I bet soon enough some NYC residents may get a taste..

Ever hear of the Rosenstraße Protest? Took place in Berlin, 1943..

Read this.. http://www.rosenstrasse-protest.de/texte/texte_stoltzfus.html

Pay attention to this quote:

[SIZE=-1] "One day the situation in front of the collecting center came to a head," a witness reported. "The SS trained machine guns on us: 'If you don't go now, we'll shoot.' But by now we couldn't care less. We screamed 'you murderers!' and everything else. We bellowed. We thought that now, at last, we would be shot. Behind the machine guns a man shouted something;maybe he gave a command. I didn't hear it, it was drowned out. But then they cleared out and the only sound was silence. That was the day it was so cold that the tears froze on my face."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

Now consider that the NYPD is about to deploy a special squad of officers specifically equipped to deal with "terrorism" and protesters. They will be equipped with [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]extra heavy protective gear (euphemism for armor) and machine guns. Anyone who doesn't see a day will come when we see those machine guns being trained on a group of civilian protestors is a blind fool.

[/SIZE]

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I bet soon enough some NYC residents may get a taste..

Ever hear of the Rosenstraße Protest? Took place in Berlin, 1943..

Read this.. http://www.rosenstrasse-protest.de/texte/texte_stoltzfus.html

Pay attention to this quote:

[SIZE=-1]

Now consider that the NYPD is about to deploy a special squad of officers specifically equipped to deal with "terrorism" and protesters. They will be equipped with [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]extra heavy protective gear (euphemism for armor) and machine guns. Anyone who doesn't see a day will come when we see those machine guns being trained on a group of civilian protestors is a blind fool.

[/SIZE]

Kent State. Stuff like that happens, but the nation collectively pushes back every time. 5 million students walked out of school after the shootings.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Your attempt to hide the truth to further your agenda is sickening. He wasn't murdered. He was fat and out of shape. This is what killed him. It wasn't over a cigarette, it was over a career criminal resisting arrest. His body couldn't take the struggle, because he was in very poor health. But good try.

Again, take the fucking ticket, or say sorry and you won't do it again, then move on. He could have handled it like an adult, instead he handled it like a career thug.

The point is that he should have never been fucked with by the police that night. If he was never fucked with he would be alive today.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

It would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that we have so many laws on the books that even judges, who are supposed to know the law inside and out, can't guarantee that they didn't break some law in a weeks time.

Granted being white and middle class the cops don't use bullshit reasons to fuck with me. I've given plenty of friends cigs, sometimes they even insist on giving me a quarter for it! Ask any cop if he can follow you for 5-10 minutes and find a reason to pull you over and he will say absolutely without a doubt. So you can't simply say "don't break the law and no one will ever have to deal with police encounters". How many people do you see throwing cigs on the ground, personally I see dozens an hour when I am downtown yet this guy required 7 cops! Hell if he would have tried to walk to a garbage can he probably would have bumped into one of them and we all know that's assaulting an officer, resisting arrest, obstruction of justice, and during the ensuing beatdown he would surely drop the cig so he still gets the littering charge.

As a matter of fact in many places in the country they admittedly pull you over/stop you during your travel with admittedly zero probable cause. So you just have to be performing a perfectly legal activity that is the foundation of a free society (freedom of travel) to get fucked with by the police. We all know that police NEVER needlessly escalate a situation too /sarcasm

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Anyone who doesn't see a day will come when we see those machine guns being trained on a group of civilian protestors is a blind fool.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

No protestor was shot by police in all the Ferguson shit. So people can take their anarchist dreams and flush them down the toilet. Not going to happen, ever. Sorry.

Innocent protestors have nothing to fear. What they should fear, are those who hide within their ranks and throw molatov cocktails, bricks, and shoot randomly from their cover.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
It would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that we have so many laws on the books that even judges, who are supposed to know the law inside and out, can't guarantee that they didn't break some law in a weeks time.

I agree with you that we are over-legislated as a country. There are so many vehicle codes that almost everyone is breaking one at any point in time. License plate light out? Did you touch or barely cross the center line or right side of the road? Are you hanging out in the left lane too long? Is your license plate covered with mud? Are you working on repairs from an accident, and have a light out?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I say good, although I doubt it was just for littering. Smokers are disgusting and their nasty habit litters and pollutes the environment for everyone else D:

Anywhere that smokers congregate, you'll see dozens of half smoked cigarettes and cigarette butts laying around.. And unless that area is constantly cleaned, the nicotine and tar will build up and just....ewwww! :thumbsdown:

Smokers are disgusting, filthy creatures that pollute the Earth and should be publicly mocked and humiliated.! :hmm: