Sensationalized: Toss a cigarette on the ground in NYC? That's a 7 cop beat down!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Sure there's more to it than just littering. And the guy straddled the border between not cooperating and actively resisting the officers so that's basically the recipe for getting a gaggle of cops to dogpile you. Not saying it's right or wrong it just is, same thing if you don't put your hands up when requested then make a move to reach into your pockets you're likely to get shot for "reaching for a weapon."

rpsgc

Sep 22, 2004
Sure there's more to it than just littering. And the guy straddled the border between not cooperating and actively resisting the officers so that's basically the recipe for getting a gaggle of cops to dogpile you. Not saying it's right or wrong it just is, same thing if you don't put your hands up when requested then make a move to reach into your pockets you're likely to get shot for "reaching for a weapon."

So the minute they start demanding 'zee papers' for anyone walking on the street, you'll be fine with that. After all, you can't disobey a cop. You said it yourself, not cooperating and resisting the officers is 'bad' and you deserve to get beat up senseless.

Did I get that right?

And it's funny how New Yorkers are always bragging about how 'though' they are and whatnot, yet, no one does anything when something happen. And I'm not talking about this, see a mugger? Nope. Attempted rape? Nah, not worth my time. Tough guys everywhere. NYC, f* yeah.

Last edited:

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
A complete tangent (sorry), but OP's sig states:

RIP my fallen comrades
HappyPuppy, FFMCobalt, PliableMoose, Dividedbyzero, Kirby, Nick1985, MotF Bane, Whoozyerdaddy, Bamacre, Red Dawn, ShinerBurke, Wanescotting, Loke

Red Dawn got banned?!? When did that happen? How could that even happen? I thought he was a mod!

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I'd be willing to sacrifice my liberties for a clean city. We're already sacrificing them for much less.

Along with littering, jaywalking is a basic infraction (also without any criminality) and resulted in an otherwise upstanding 84-year-old gentleman being bloodied and bruised by NYPD. So this gentleman should feel privileged and honored for officers going relatively easy on him.

Manhattan man, 84, ticketed for jaywalking to file $5 million lawsuit against city
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-man-ticketed-jaywalking-file-5b-lawsuit-article-1.1592002

new-york-post-jaywalking-cover.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
extraordinary waste of resources. what's nypd's problem with cigarettes? so the nypd is back on the job now?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
yaRGct.

The woman starts putting on her gloves and you just know it's going to get ugly. She was all over him.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
yaRGct.

The woman starts putting on her gloves and you just know it's going to get ugly. She was all over him.

Yep.

If you're ever dealing with the cops and they start putting on their gloves, good things are not going to follow.

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
I used to think if things keep going the way they are going, that 2030's America will be indistinguishable from 1930's Germany.

Now, I think that day may be here much sooner..

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I guess throwing down anything around cops in NYC is an invitation to them to throw down on you.

"Show us your papers" indeed.

unixwizzard

Jan 17, 2013
I guess throwing down anything around cops in NYC is an invitation to them to throw down on you.

I wonder if that includes spitting out chewing gum.

That is one thing I noticed every trip I took into the city.. how nearly every sidewalk is covered with old chewing gum. Some spots, especially in the theater district, were totally covered with it.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I used to think if things keep going the way they are going, that 2030's America will be indistinguishable from 1930's Germany.

Now, I think that day may be here much sooner..

Explain that thought in more detail.

For me, a good comparison would be if anarchists finally chose a sole leader and burned down the white house or congress... and then went house to house and beat/kidnapped people who represented traditional american politics.

Could you provide your detail on why you think it would be sooner? Is your comparison thought, the physical enforcement of laws = 1930's germany? Like if someone runs from the police and they capture him, they captured him like the brownshirts would have kidnapped jews?

I can see why people would see the comparisons. There was violence in nazy germany, carried out by people wearing a uniform. Violence for really no good reason at all, other then to shut down the opposition. So when people see violence in the USA by people in uniform, it's feasible they would associate it Nazi Germany.

Fortunately, most of it is over-reaction. In reality, we are so far from it it's quite ridiculous...but since it's obvious humans are still capable of herd mentality and dehumanizing others, the phrase "Never Again" must still be heard.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Ah I finally watched the video. So, not sure if I saw what everyone else in here saw,

Police surround a man and appear to try and get him to comply with arrest. He does not.
One policeman tries to physically arrest him and he pushes away, resisting. Several other officers join in, bring him to the ground, and take several seconds to handcuff him.

Nobody was injured.

If you think this is Nazi Germany, you need to have your fucking head examined.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Ah I finally watched the video. So, not sure if I saw what everyone else in here saw,

Police surround a man and appear to try and get him to comply with arrest. He does not.
One policeman tries to physically arrest him and he pushes away, resisting. Several other officers join in, bring him to the ground, and take several seconds to handcuff him.

Nobody was injured.

If you think this is Nazi Germany, you need to have your fucking head examined.

Is throwing a cigarette on the ground reason for arrest? Isn't littering a ticket at worst?

Why would you need 7 cops to give a ticket?

Keep surrendering your rights. I'm sure the police appreciate it.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Is throwing a cigarette on the ground reason for arrest? Isn't littering a ticket at worst?

Why would you need 7 cops to give a ticket?

Keep surrendering your rights. I'm sure the police appreciate it.

Even if it was just for littering, which I doubt that is all happened, it's an arrestable offense if you are a douchebag. Stop being a douchebag, no reason to have shit end up like this.

If I broke the law, I'll surrender my rights. Would you not do the same?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Even if it was just for littering, which I doubt that is all happened, it's an arrestable offense if you are a douchebag. Stop being a douchebag, no reason to have shit end up like this.

If I broke the law, I'll surrender my rights. Would you not do the same?

The cop said it was for littering.

Maybe you missed the news where NYPD has a habit of killing unarmed black men? And all of the sudden 7 cops surround a black guy. I'd be a bit nervous.

And no, I won't surrender my rights.