Senior Year of College...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
That is why you check the ratings of professors before you pick them. :eek:

I find that shit is highly inaccurate. The people who didn't do the homework always say, "THIS GUY SUCKS HE GRADES SO FUCKING HARD AND IS SUCH A DICK!" Then there are tons of people who just love the person for no apparent reason except that they are A) a man or B) a woman. "AWESOME TEACHER. SHE'S SO COOL..."

Stupid-stupid-stupid. I never check that shit anymore. It just makes me anxious about the class because they're like, "SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS" then I take the class and go, "That wasn't bad..."

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I had an exam a few days ago. The professor told us not to bother studying chapter 5 because he won't ask any material on it.

Guess what material question 1 covered? Yep, chapter 5.

That sort of pissed me off. Mostly because it was a really easy question and had I remembered what a term meant, I could have an answered.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I find that shit is highly inaccurate. The people who didn't do the homework always say, "THIS GUY SUCKS HE GRADES SO FUCKING HARD AND IS SUCH A DICK!" Then there are tons of people who just love the person for no apparent reason except that they are A) a man or B) a woman. "AWESOME TEACHER. SHE'S SO COOL..."

Stupid-stupid-stupid. I never check that shit anymore. It just makes me anxious about the class because they're like, "SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS" then I take the class and go, "That wasn't bad..."

People write negative reviews when the class actually requires effort and they get a bad grade because they were lazy. The good reviews are from students who put the effort in, learned a ton, and got good grades.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009

Well yeah... I had a professor that students either loved or hated... Since he liked failing people at a much higher rate then normal for where I go. I mean the 100 level classes he has taught have apparently had a 60+% fail rates and the 300 level class I had him with had almost a 1/3 needed to retake it. Needless to say you could tell how someone did with him by how they thought of him.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
People write negative reviews when the class actually requires effort and they get a bad grade because they were lazy. The good reviews are from students who put the effort in, learned a ton, and got good grades.

I wrote a negative review for a professor last year because he rolled his eyes when asked questions, made rude comments to students, and was generally an asshole. I received a 3.7 in the class. Not great, but nothing to laugh about. It was a graduate lit. theory course.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Well yeah... I had a professor that students either loved or hated... Since he liked failing people at a much higher rate then normal for where I go. I mean the 100 level classes he has taught have apparently had a 60+% fail rates and the 300 level class I had him with had almost a 1/3 needed to retake it. Needless to say you could tell how someone did with him by how they thought of him.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about any of the math teachers at my college... I wanted to take like college trig or college algebra (Both are prereqs for Calc I, but I wanted to just kinda get my math basis down even though I've taken Calc I and Calc II because I haven't taken those classes in about 2 years(These might be different than your Semester system types... It's quarter system)) and pretty much everyone says this: "You're going to fail. College algebra has like a 99% fail rate, blahblahblah." I'm like, "Uhm... shit... and I wanted to take this over the summer." "Yeah, you're megafucked. You're gonna faillll... FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL... NOW GET ANXIOUS. NOW FAIL"

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about any of the math teachers at my college... I wanted to take like college trig or college algebra (Both are prereqs for Calc I, but I wanted to just kinda get my math basis down even though I've taken Calc I and Calc II because I haven't taken those classes in about 2 years(These might be different than your Semester system types... It's quarter system)) and pretty much everyone says this: "You're going to fail. College algebra has like a 99% fail rate, blahblahblah." I'm like, "Uhm... shit... and I wanted to take this over the summer." "Yeah, you're megafucked. You're gonna faillll... FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL... NOW GET ANXIOUS. NOW FAIL"

Careful to pick college algebra and not modern algebra or college geometry. :p
College algebra should be a peice of cake though.. my horrible scantron test taking skills landed me in precalc(college algebra+ trig) first semester of college... was the easiest math class I ever had... probably because I had done it all before. That with me probably focusing more on the girl next to me then the class itself.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I took a theoretical math course last semester that was brutal. I did find on the linear algebra stuff but the second part of it moved into complex number theory and how it related to getting closed form solutions to nasty integrals and I didn't really care because I'm an engineer, matlab will get me good enough answers. The linear algebra was what I was really after.

Anyway, I "aced" the midterm with a mid 70s grade, and I was one of the higher grades on the final at 39.

I was talking to the professor after a visiting professor gave a presentation, and he was talking about how he, as a grad student, never left the office before 3am which is why he made his course so hard. I don't hold it against him, my grades translated to a B+ which I think is generous considering how much effort I put into the course, but still. I don't get paid enough to put in those kind of hours. Lucky for me my advisor is laid back and doesn't expect that from me.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
I had an exam a few days ago. The professor told us not to bother studying chapter 5 because he won't ask any material on it.

Guess what material question 1 covered? Yep, chapter 5.

That sort of pissed me off. Mostly because it was a really easy question and had I remembered what a term meant, I could have an answered.

LOL, lesson learned for you.

I remember I got tricked by profs when they would say that and it would appear on tests.

After a while of having that happen several times, I began specifically writing down what little bits they had said to skip so I could study it.

They don't remember all the little things they say to skip in class when they are making up the exam OR the exam is one thats already been used from a previous semester and no editing was done to remove the "skipped" section.