Senior US administration sources say that al-Sadr has been in Iran for at least two weeks

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
As usual with any breaking story CNN only has a headline, no article. Here is the headline

Militant Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has left Iraq and has been in Iran for at least two weeks, senior U.S. administration sources tell CNN. Sources close to al-Sadr deny he is in Iran.

If this is true then it pretty much confirms suspicions that Iran has been actively involved in Iraq.

UPDATE:
Link

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: blackllotus
If this is true then it pretty much confirms suspicions that Iran has been actively involved in Iraq.
No, it confirms only that al-Sadr is in Iraq, and nothing more.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Aimster
Is Al-Sadr wanted by the U.S for attacks against the U.S?

answer: no

He is wanted for murder of Iraqis. the outstanding warrant has been in effect since shortly after the U.S. invasion and is a warrant from an Iraqi court. I don't recall the exact details but in Paul Bremers book, My Year in Iraq, he talks about this and how the U.S. kept putting off arresting him.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005

He is a radical militant shia leader and has his own militia that are responsible for much of the sectarian violence in Iraq. This isn't debatable.

Originally posted by: sandorski

And what exactly would the leader of shia militia be doing in Iran? We have already found Iranian weapons in Iraq. I don't understand how you people can continue to deny the obvious.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
He is responsible for killing Iraqis, sure. No doubt.

Is his militia going around killing U.S troops by surprising them?
When I say surprising them I mean roadside bombs, etc.

If so, why is his ass still alive?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
He is a radical militant shia leader and has his own militia that are responsible for much of the sectarian violence in Iraq. This isn't debatable.
If he's really a threat to us, why have we ignored him until it was time to build a marketing campaign for attacking Iran?

It's deja vu all over again.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

And what exactly would the leader of shia militia be doing in Iran? We have already found Iranian weapons in Iraq. I don't understand how you people can continue to deny the obvious.

The obvious? What, that Bin Laden is in cahoots with the Pakistan Government? I don't understand your point, what is it?

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
From Wikipedia

Clashes with U.S. forces in April were followed by a truce in June, and mixed signals from al-Sadr after his promises to disband his militia and become involved in the political process. The Coalition Provisional Authority had on several occasions threatened to arrest al-Sadr, and in early April 2004 issued an arrest warrant, alleging his involvement in a homicide (see below). U.S. military commanders expressed an intention to "capture or kill" him. Then al-Sadr had agreed to disband his army and join the political process, and he was given assurances that he would not face arrest and be allowed to stand in the 2005 elections. However, tensions rose again in August, and U.S. forces decided to move against al-Sadr with the intent to kill him. In October 2006, he made public appearances with the current president of Iraq Jalal Talabani raising controversy over his influence in the new government.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
The obvious? What, that Bin Laden is in cahoots with the Pakistan Government? I don't understand your point, what is it?

Your analogy is ridiculous. Al-Sadr has no reason to hide from the Iranian government and, considering the fact that it did not take us long to discover where he is, I doubt that the Iranian government is ignorant of his presence.

Does this mean that Al-Sadr is getting weapons from Iran? No, and if this was an isolated incident I wouldn't pay much attention to it however given the numerous ties that have been discovered between Iran and violence in Iraq it is silly to continue acting like there is no connection.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The FBI stated that evidence linking Al-Qaeda and bin Laden to the attacks of September 11 is clear and irrefutable.[56] The Government of the United Kingdom reached the same conclusion, regarding Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden's culpability for the September 11, 2001 attacks.[57]

==============================

Source

=======================================

A December 11, 2005 letter from Atiyah Abd al-Rahman to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi indicates that bin Laden and the al-Qaeda leadership were based in the Waziristan region of Pakistan at the time

=====================================

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
in related news, senior us administration sources say that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 and has links to al'queda.

edit: damn you, sandorski! /shakes his fist

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Your analogy is ridiculous. Al-Sadr has no reason to hide from the Iranian government and, considering the fact that it did not take us long to discover where he is, I doubt that the Iranian government is ignorant of his presence.

Does this mean that Al-Sadr is getting weapons from Iran? No, and if this was an isolated incident I wouldn't pay much attention to it however given the numerous ties that have been discovered between Iran and violence in Iraq it is silly to continue acting like there is no connection.

Is it?

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
The FBI stated that evidence linking Al-Qaeda and bin Laden to the attacks of September 11 is clear and irrefutable.[56] The Government of the United Kingdom reached the same conclusion, regarding Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden's culpability for the September 11, 2001 attacks.[57]

==============================

Source

=======================================

A December 11, 2005 letter from Atiyah Abd al-Rahman to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi indicates that bin Laden and the al-Qaeda leadership were based in the Waziristan region of Pakistan at the time

=====================================

Originally posted by: loki8481
in related news, senior us administration sources say that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 and has links to al'queda.

Touche :p

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005

Is it?

Care to point out what I am missing?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Is it?

Care to point out what I am missing?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I guess no one could imagine an Iraqi visiting Iran, huh? They're only neighboring countries and all. I don't suppose anyone from either country has any reason to visit the other country unless it's for nefarious purposes, right?

Unless it can be shown that al-Sadr is conspiring with Iranian leadership for attacks on U.S. personnel, there's nothing to this story.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
George W. Bush is a lying POS who started a war with absolutely no justification that has, so far, killed over 3,100 American troops and wounded tens of thousands more, killed possibly hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians, squandered our great grandchildrens' future by burdening them with trillions of dollars of debt. He has shredded the rights guaranteed to all Americans under the U.S. Constitution. He has violated international laws against torture.

al-Sadr is probably exactly what you say he is, but by itself, the fact that he's in Iran means only that he's in Iran. If you don't have anything more, you're blowing smoke. :roll:
Your speculation about what he's doing there means nothing. Speculation by anyone in the Bushwhacko administration means even less. They've already proven they're pathalogical liars without conscience. We have no reason to believe anything they say or to trust their motives, even when they accidentally say something that, by sheer coincidence, happens to be true.

Oh yeah... My name is Harvey, not sandorski. If you don't believe me, ask him. :laugh:

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I guess no one could imagine an Iraqi visiting Iran, huh? They're only neighboring countries and all. I don't suppose anyone from either country has any reason to visit the other country unless it's for nefarious purposes, right?

His people still claim he is in Iraq. If he truely is in Iran then this should raise some major alarm bells.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
His people still claim he is in Iraq. If he truely is in Iran then this should raise some major alarm bells.
The biggest alarm bells are sounding because the Bushwhackos are doing a remix of the same failed record they spun on the way into Iraq.

All the forces of war were compelling,
And blacker than Colin, the Knight.
And the lies they were telling, they sell in the name of their savior.

And who's watching over who's watching over you?
Tell me, who's telling who's telling you what to do what to do?

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Harvey
George W. Bush is a lying POS who started a war with absolutely no justification that has, so far, killed over 3,100 American troops and wounded tens of thousands more, killed possibly hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians, squandered our great grandchildrens' future by burdening them with trillions of dollars of debt. He has shredded the rights guaranteed to all Americans under the U.S. Constitution. He has violated international laws against torture.

I'm not debating this :p

Your speculation about what he's doing there means nothing. Speculation by anyone in the Bushwhacko administration means even less. They've already proven they're pathalogical liars without conscience. We have no reason to believe anything they say or to trust their motives, even when they accidentally say something that, by sheer coincidence, happens to be true.

Here's my problem with the situation. His staff directly contradicts U.S intelligence. Could our intelligence be wrong? Certainly, however this seems like an odd claim for our officials to make right out of the blue. It doesn't really help create a reason to invade Iran (not that one exists in the first).

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
The biggest alarm bells are sounding because the Bushwhackos are doing a remix of the same failed record they spun on the way into Iraq.

Thats a separate issue. Iranian involvement in Iraq is significant regardless of whether or not Bush wants to invade.