Senior multivitamins lack iron?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Okay, I kind of get not want people to OD on iron, but at the same time, isn't it more likely that a younger person is going to OD on iron because they still eat meat and for some, protein shakes and other supplements.

It should be the other way around, with the senior multis having iron while the one's for the younger crowd lack it.

Reason I'm ticked is that my mother was likely iron deficient for a while but I never checked the damn label to see whether iron was there. Only this week did I "throw random things at the wall" to see what was causing nerve pain and constant sleepiness. Threw a whole host of supplements but, gave her one iron supplement once last week but cut it out until yesterday.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
unless you have hemochromatosis, normal eating of certain meats will give you all the iron you need. Women tend to suffer from low iron as they age. Supplements can help as well as cooking on cast iron pans.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Putting enough iron in multivitamins to treat an iron deficiency is going to make those multivitamins extremely unpleasant for everyone as anyone whose had to take iron tablets will tell you!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
unless you have hemochromatosis, normal eating of certain meats will give you all the iron you need. Women tend to suffer from low iron as they age. Supplements can help as well as cooking on cast iron pans.
My mother basically became de facto vegetarian because she doesn't eat most processed meats and usually prepares meals herself. This wasn't intentional. There is no ethical or any other conscious awakening to avoid meats. She's just too gassed to prepare the stuff; she ordered me to go get $0.99/lb pork Boston Butts from Harris Teeter regardless of the fact that the fridge is filled up. She also hates beef, so the only red meat product she'll eat is pork-based.

But after chemo, her energy levels have never been the same and many times, she goes sleeping through meal times. Then when she does eat, it's damned tons of bananas and often grains. Sometimes, she eats tofu and mushrooms, again if she has the energy to prep the them. She rejected attempts to start consuming any sort of fatty fish. She was won over by some wild sockeye a few weeks ago but hasn't prepped it since because again...energy.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Putting enough iron in multivitamins to treat an iron deficiency is going to make those multivitamins extremely unpleasant for everyone as anyone whose had to take iron tablets will tell you!
She wouldn't have become deficient if the supplement just had a little bit in there, just a proportion of the DV.
The non-senior multivitamins do contain iron. 100% DV for women(periods) and it varies between nothing and something less than 100% DV for the men.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
She wouldn't have become deficient if the supplement just had a little bit in there, just a proportion of the DV.
The non-senior multivitamins do contain iron. 100% DV for women(periods) and it varies between nothing and something less than 100% DV for the men.
I mean you don't actually know if she was iron deficient at all though.
One multi vitamin isn't going to cure an iron deficiency.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't believe I was ever advised to take pills for iron deficiency. Was borderline for a while and asked to eat more red meat, also green leafy vegetables. I do cook a fair amount in cast iron pans, though I was never advised to do that. I do it because of the heat distribution characteristics and ease of maintenance.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't believe I was ever advised to take pills for iron deficiency. Was borderline for a while and asked to eat more red meat, also green leafy vegetables. I do cook a fair amount in cast iron pans.
That's the best way to treat it if it's not too severe. Iron tablets are nasty.

Reactions: Muse

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I don't believe I was ever advised to take pills for iron deficiency. Was borderline for a while and asked to eat more red meat, also green leafy vegetables. I do cook a fair amount in cast iron pans.

they made me take liquid iron from a dropper when i was a little kid

that stuff tasted nasty and it stained my teeth. but i guess at least it gave me iron.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
We gave someone a ferinject infusion last week. It looks exactly like running rusty water through an IV line into someone.

that's what the stuff tasted like too. dirty rotten bitter rusty water.

surprised i didn't get tetanus from it

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I don't believe I was ever advised to take pills for iron deficiency. Was borderline for a while and asked to eat more red meat, also green leafy vegetables. I do cook a fair amount in cast iron pans, though I was never advised to do that. I do it because of the heat distribution characteristics and ease of maintenance.
here's some food for thought:

An American Dietetic Association study found that cast-iron cookware can leach significant amounts of dietary iron into food. The amounts of iron absorbed varied greatly depending on the food, its acidity, its water content, how long it was cooked, and how old the cookware is. The iron in spaghetti sauce increased 845 percent (from 0.61 mg/100g to 5.77 mg/100g), while other foods increased less dramatically; for example, the iron in cornbread increased 28 percent, from 0.67 to 0.86 mg/100g.[24] Anemics, and those with iron deficiencies, may benefit from this effect,[25] which was the basis for the development of the lucky iron fish, an iron ingot used during cooking to provide dietary iron to those with iron deficiency. People with hemochromatosis (iron overload, bronze disease) should avoid using cast-iron cookware because of the iron leaching effect into the food.[26]
Laboratory tests conducted by America's Test Kitchen found that an unseasoned cast iron skillet leached significant iron into tomato sauce (10.8 mg/100g) while a seasoned cast iron pan leached only a small amount.[19]

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
here's some food for thought:
I used to season my cast iron skillets but don't anymore. I just let them do what they do. My biggest (probably 11-12" across) fell some years ago and the handle broke. Instead of tossing it I jury-rigged a handle by bolting on a cylinder of aluminum and wrapped the affair in an old bicycle inner tube. There's a big steel eye ring on the end, I fashioned on. The net effect is a comfortable handle that allows hanging the pan from a nail and the handle never gets even warm. I don't have to handle the pan with a pot holder like I do with my other CI skillets, a BIG PLUS! The only minus is that I can't put it in the oven to season it. I likely wouldn't anyway, too much trouble. I cook with olive oil 95% of the time, have avocado oil for the rare occasions where I want to avoid the oil burning off in smoke.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I used to season my cast iron skillets but don't anymore. I just let them do what they do. My biggest (probably 11-12" across) fell some years ago and the handle broke. Instead of tossing it I jury-rigged a handle by bolting on a cylinder of aluminum and wrapped the affair in an old bicycle inner tube. There's a big steel eye ring on the end, I fashioned on. The net effect is a comfortable handle that allows hanging the pan from a nail and the handle never gets even warm. I don't have to handle the pan with a pot holder like I do with my other CI skillets, a BIG PLUS! The only minus is that I can't put it in the oven to season it. I likely wouldn't anyway, too much trouble. I cook with olive oil 95% of the time, have avocado oil for the rare occasions where I want to avoid the oil burning off in smoke.
I have been using grape seed oil.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
She took iron glycinate last week(part of Nature's Bounty Gentle Iron) and was able to do some considerable-for-her physical activity in the days after, including riding the bus to go meet me in the hospital. I threw the full "supplement stack w/o a multi" sans iron to her on Friday, and the nerve pain relief did not occur.

She took two pills of ferrous sulfate yesterday, 6 hours apart. Reported improved nerve feeling(no more painful "seizing up" and the swelling in her feet dissipated.

I then gave her the Sentry 50+ multivitamin, a 5000IU D3+ K2, Turmeric, CoQ10, and synthetic Astaxanthin. She continues to feel better, saying the nerve pain is gone.

"Supplement stack" includes B12 1000mcg, Magnesium Citrate, Salmon Oil, Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D+K2, CoQ10, synthetic Astaxanthin.

Gonna be changing the approach for her supplements though(was never consistent in taking the multi, but definitely going be bi-weekly at the soonest from now on). She gets plenty of folic acid and the extra from a multi or B-complex could cause harm or the return of colon cancer. Better to get individual vitamins like B1.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
She took iron glycinate last week(part of Nature's Bounty Gentle Iron) and was able to do some considerable-for-her physical activity in the days after, including riding the bus to go meet me in the hospital. I threw the full "supplement stack w/o a multi" sans iron to her on Friday, and the nerve pain relief did not occur.

She took two pills of ferrous sulfate yesterday, 6 hours apart. Reported improved nerve feeling(no more painful "seizing up" and the swelling in her feet dissipated.

I then gave her the Sentry 50+ multivitamin, a 5000IU D3+ K2, Turmeric, CoQ10, and synthetic Astaxanthin. She continues to feel better, saying the nerve pain is gone.

"Supplement stack" includes B12 1000mcg, Magnesium Citrate, Salmon Oil, Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D+K2, CoQ10, synthetic Astaxanthin.

Gonna be changing the approach for her supplements though(was never consistent in taking the multi, but definitely going be bi-weekly at the soonest from now on). She gets plenty of folic acid and the extra from a multi or B-complex could cause harm or the return of colon cancer. Better to get individual vitamins like B1.

Pls also remember that the elderly frequently have difficulty with eliminating crap from their systems vs. younger people. Substances such as typically easy to clear water soluble vits like B’s and C can be difficult to clear as effectively for elderly with diminished and/or compromised kidney function.

And that happens to all older people…the parts begin to wear out, don’t function nearly as effectively.

Just something to keep in mind…sorta why vits marketed towards seniors don’t include iron or much of it if it does…too easy to OD on it.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Just be careful not to overdose her on the iron. Postmenopausal women get heart attacks more frequently than pre-menopausal women, due to the iron build-up in postmenopausal state.
Currently, it's just observation now. My mom feels good after Sunday and we're just wait-and-see to see if-or-when the symptoms return. It was a very aggressive dosing on Sunday, but hopefully, the gatekeeper hormones rejected some of the excess iron and the effects were exactly what she needed.

Probably one ferrous sulfate pill a week will work just fine moving forward.

Heart attacks don't happen in my family. Cancer hits first. We don't get fat but we still eat shit. I mean, the entire food culture of most, if not all, Chinese is based on eating insulin-stimulating foods and perhaps natural selection has already eliminated many who couldn't handle the polyamorous affinity of three-times-a-day daily wheat and rice eating. Two grains at the same time? Oh yeah! ;) :p