Sending large files via email

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I need to occasionally (3 or 4 times a month) email reports to my customers in PDF that are around 20 megs big. I’ve been breaking them down and sending them in 3 meg sections, which means a 20 meg report would arrive in seven emails. Of course, this is impractical. What I’m looking for is a program that I can send the 20 meg report to and then contact the customer with a password and let them download this 20 meg report. That would be my perfect solution. Is there such a thing?

I’m using a Windows 7 (64 bit) and yes, I have tried multiple PDF compression programs, but I need the quality of the graphs and pictures in the report and the compression tends to distort the report without really compressing it that much. My email program is MSOutlook and I’m on a Time Warner Cable at about 60 mb/s.

What programs are out there that can allow me to do the above? Hopefully not too expensive.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
You mean like Dropbox?

Outlook doesn't prevent you from sending emails with 20Mb attachments.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
WinZip or WinRar can make compressed files for emails that automatically unzip.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd use an online file locker. Mega is generous with the storage allotment. I'd compress/encrypt with 7zip, upload to them, then send a link to the client.

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
Some of your customers may have limits on their email sizes and your email provider may limit sending size also. Unless I'm missing something, google drive overcomes that exact problem. I create a folder, make it public, place the large file or files in it, and send the folder link by email. Some businesses may not allow google drive access.
I assume any other "cloud" service works this way too.

Jim

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The Dropbox idea works fairly well. You can upload large files to it and your customers can then download them exclusive of email.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I'll throw a shoutout to Sync.com - it offers password protection for shared links. Something that costs money with other cloud based storage.