Senator Wicker (R-MS) office received envelope with ricin

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Dang. That's dangerous stuff.

I don't know anything about Senator Wicker, any idea why he would be targeted?

Fern

Jan 25, 2011
Sounds like they aren't sure it was ricin. Report is three tests. One field test at the post office positive but two subsequent we're not. One negative and one inconclusive.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Sounds like they aren't sure it was ricin. Report is three tests. One field test at the post office positive but two subsequent we're not. One negative and one inconclusive.

That's not what CNN is saying here: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/tainted-letter-intercepted/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he was told the letter was addressed to the office of Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Mississippi. After the envelope tested positive in a first routine test, it was retested two more times, each time coming up positive, the law enforcement source said. The package was then sent to a Maryland lab for further testing.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Fern

Can't think of anything. If he was targeted because he's a conservative senator, there are others that are far more well known. Wicker hasn't even been a senator for very long (relatively speaking).

Last edited:

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
If a poison is delivered through the mail and someone is injured or killed, should we ban people from mailing more than 8 envelopes at a time? (-:

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Fern

As a Mississippian, I suspect it's because he's one of the few Repubs last week to vote to end the filibuster and debate the gun law. We have some ultra-conservatives in this state, especially when it comes to guns, and I figure he pissed someone off.

Sounds crazy, sure, but there are some gun kooks in this state. They can't see past their nose on these issues and are steaming mad because the gov'ment is about to take their guns.

This is a relatively civil example

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
As a Mississippian, I suspect it's because he's one of the few Repubs last week to vote to end the filibuster and debate the gun law. We have some ultra-conservatives in this state, especially when it comes to guns, and I figure he pissed someone off.

Sounds crazy, sure, but there are some gun kooks in this state. They can't see past their nose on these issues and are steaming mad because the gov'ment is about to take their guns.

There's just as much evidence for that as there is it was you that did it. :eek:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

Nintendesert said:
There's just as much evidence for that as there is it was you that did it.

Well, they intercepted a letter for Obama laced with ricin, too... so chances are it was from someone who has an axe to grind with both this Republican senator and Obama. If not on guns, what do you think the senator and Obama would have in common on issues?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't claim to know what the motive is, but it if was related to gun control there are so many more obvious targets such as Feinstein etc.

The letters were mailed from TN, not MS.

Fern

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I don't claim to know what the motive is, but it if was related to gun control there are so many more obvious targets such as Feinstein etc.

Fern

To be fair, Memphis suburbs reach into Mississippi (DeSoto County, I believe). Not really enough information to say what the motive was, though. Odds are the person doesn't identify with either party.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Well, they intercepted a letter for Obama laced with ricin, too... so chances are it was from someone who has an axe to grind with both this Republican senator and Obama. If not on guns, what do you think the senator and Obama would have in common on issues?

They are Americans! :D

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Fern

Suspect (Kenneth Curtis) was just arrested from Tupelo MS, where I'm at. It's Wicker's district and he has a home here.

Looking at the suspect's address, it's about a mile from where I live. :eek:

It was postmarked Memphis because that's where all of north Mississippi's mail goes to be processed.

Last edited:

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Suspect (Kenneth Curtis) was just arrested from Tupelo MS, where I'm at. It's Wicker's district and he has a home here.

Looking at the suspect's address, it's about a mile from where I live. :eek:

It was postmarked Memphis because that's where all of north Mississippi's mail goes to be processed.

Well, that didn't take long. Perhaps he had already been sending hate mail/threats prior to the ricin.

Jan 25, 2011
Well, that didn't take long. Perhaps he had already been sending hate mail/threats prior to the ricin.

That's what they said. They had been monitoring anything he sent in to the senator due to previous mailings. Nothing specific on their nature though.