Senator says Obama will lose because he doesn't love America

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This is a sitting Senator making this accusation. Of course, I have no doubt that he is sincere and those that agree with him are also sincere. The only question is, will this partisan rhetoric revulse Americans into supporting Obama or is it a winning formula? I mean, with the economy in the tank and Fannie Mae and Freddic Mac being nationalized, will this sort of mud still fly?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/comm...906_11_A1_STPAUL227187

Inhofe says patriotism question will sink Obama

by: JIM MYERS World Washington Bureau
9/6/2008 12:00 AM

ST. PAUL, Minn. ? U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe predicted voters' uncertainty over whether Barack Obama really loves his country will help Republicans win the White House again in November.

A spokeswoman for the Democratic nominee said Obama will not let anyone question his love of his country, adding that Americans have grown tired of cynical partisan politics such as challenging an opponent's patriotism.

Inhofe made his comments at a breakfast for the state party's delegation earlier this week at the Republican National Convention.

"I have no doubt in my mind that we are going to win this election, the presidency and vice presidency," the Oklahoma Republican said.

Inhofe recalled Obama's recent trip overseas.

"He had nothing but positive media all the time, and then he goes into their convention and comes out of the convention without a lead,'' he said.

"That's unheard of."

Regardless of what polls show, Inhofe said, voters will have to ask themselves a question once they get behind the curtain in the voting booth on Election Day.

"Do you really want to have a guy as commander in chief of this country when you can question whether or not he really loves his country?" he asked.

"That's the big question.''

Shannon Gilson, spokeswoman for Obama, said Friday that he has a plan to strengthen the economy and offer immediate relief to working families, while Republican nominee John McCain and his Washington friends such as Inhofe are offering four more years of President Bush's failed economic policies.

"Sen. Obama won't let anyone question his love of this country,'' Gilson said.

"Challenging your opponent's patriotism to win an election is the type of cynical partisan politics Americans are tired of ? and won't bring the change we need in Washington,'' Gilson said.

After he was asked for an explanation on why voters should question Obama's love for his country, Inhofe issued a written statement on Friday to clarify his earlier comments.

"Let me be clear,'' he said.

"I am not questioning Sen. Obama's patriotism, but you have to question why at times he seems so obviously opposed to public displays of patriotism and national pride, like wearing an American flag lapel pin.''

Inhofe said Americans can show pride in their country in different ways but suggested all should be straightforward.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
He's an Okie, you'll have to excuse him.

What does that mean exactly? I'm from Texas and my opinion of Oklahoma has always been shaped via the college football rivalries so I never took it seriously.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hopefully he's right, but I doubt it. The economy and personality are the driving factors, everything else is just a bunch of political BS.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Hopefully he's right, but I doubt it. The economy and personality are the driving factors, everything else is just a bunch of political BS.

You hope he's right?

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Inhofe

[/quote]James Mountain "Jim" Inhofe (born November 17, 1934) is a American politician from Oklahoma. A member of the Republican Party, he currently serves as the senior Senator from Oklahoma. He is among the most vocal critics of global warming in Congress. Inhofe often cites the Bible as the source for his positions on various political issues.[/quote]

And you want us take his opinions into account?!!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Non-issue. Most people will never even know that this statement was made.

BTW I find it humorous that you question "will this partisan rhetoric revulse Americans into supporting Obama" but totally dismiss the idea that the full out assault on Sarah Palin will cause a backlash by females.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Ifhofe understands what love of America is, its really simple, love is saddling the USA with two quagmires, running up 4 trillion dollars in debt, alienating our allies and emboldening our enemies, embracing torture and cutting down personal liberties while calling our constitution a scrap of paper, and causing real income to fall. And if you, my fellow Americans, do not love this wonderful love, there is something un American about you miserable ingrates.

Now we need eight more years of the same in McCain.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: winnar111
No, he will lose because his boss Nancy Pelosi doesn't love America. Slight difference.
Don't project your hatred of America upon others.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
BTW your thread title is totally dishonest.

What is it with the trend of posting thread titles that totally distort what people say?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I don't get why, if you hate America... why the hell do you live here? Why the hell do you go for public office? Why do you try to make peoples lives better? Because you hate America?

Stupid argument.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Non-issue. Most people will never even know that this statement was made.

BTW I find it humorous that you question "will this partisan rhetoric revulse Americans into supporting Obama" but totally dismiss the idea that the full out assault on Sarah Palin will cause a backlash by females.

This is the internet age. Everything printed can reach anywhere.

And what assault do you see on her? People are asking questions because they don't know her. Obviously she would be smart to go on talk shows and define herself before the media and blogs do the job for her. Remember all the low-level smears against Obama? Well, he wised up and started a website to fight it. She needs to go the attack now before the rumors take on a life of their own.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
No, he will lose because his boss Nancy Pelosi doesn't love America. Slight difference.

Not my hatred, pal. People know what Berkeley and San Francisco values are.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Last time I checked, the terrorists attacked the most liberal and progressive city in America, the Pentagon, and tried to attack the White House before being shot down in Pennsylvania. Nowhere did I see them trying to attack the Creationist Museum in Kansas or any other conservative symbol. So if you think liberals don't represent America, what does to you?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: whiner111
Originally posted by: whiner111

You may have Pals(talk about your Frisco values) but I'm definitely not one of them

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari

You hope he's right?

Yes, I hope he's right about Obama losing the election. The reason for the loss doesn't matter, but I hope McCain wins, simply because I think that's better for the country.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

You hope he's right?

Yes, I hope he's right about Obama losing the election. The reason for the loss doesn't matter, but I hope McCain wins, simply because I think that's better for the country.

Like the last eight years were good for your country?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Last time I checked, the terrorists attacked the most liberal and progressive city in America, the Pentagon, and tried to attack the White House before being shot down in Pennsylvania. Nowhere did I see them trying to attack the Creationist Museum in Kansas or any other conservative symbol. So if you think liberals don't represent America, what does to you?

They attacked our financial centers; you know, the ones that low taxes and free market economics have helped to build, and our military, which has been one of the most conservative Republican voting blocs for the last 30 years.

You act as if they went to New York to bomb Naral clinics and Bill Clinton's offices.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
That is a dumb ass post.

Even for P&N. Is Lemon Law ghost writing for you now?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Inhofe
James Mountain "Jim" Inhofe (born November 17, 1934) is a American politician from Oklahoma. A member of the Republican Party, he currently serves as the senior Senator from Oklahoma. He is among the most vocal critics of global warming in Congress. Inhofe often cites the Bible as the source for his positions on various political issues.[/quote]

And you want us take his opinions into account?!!

[/quote]

The folks in Okie Land sure love him

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

They attacked our financial centers; you know, the ones that low taxes and free market economics have helped to build, and our military, which has been one of the most conservative Republican voting blocs for the last 30 years.

You act as if they went to New York to bomb Naral clinics and Bill Clinton's offices.

If liberalism is so bad, why is the financial capital in the most liberal part of the country? WHy are the intellectual centers in the most liberal part of the country? Why do tax dollars from the most liberal part of the country go to the most conservatives?