Senator Kerry was misled about weapons of mass destruction?by Clinton!

Jan 12, 2003
"In my judgment, the Security Council should authorize a strong U.N. military response that will materially damage, if not totally destroy, as much as possible of the suspected infrastructure for developing and manufacturing weapons of mass destruction, as well as key military command and control nodes. Saddam Hussein should pay a grave price, in a currency that he understands and values, for his unacceptable behavior. This should not be a strike consisting only of a handful of cruise missiles hitting isolated targets primarily of presumed symbolic value." (Sen. John Kerry, Congressional Record, 11/9/97, pp. S12254 -S12255)

...and all along I thought Bush had "misled" him, which is one reason he is running for President. Gee, Kerry misled me!

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
"In my judgment, the Security Council should authorize a strong U.N. military response that will materially damage, if not totally destroy, as much as possible of the suspected infrastructure for developing and manufacturing weapons of mass destruction, as well as key military command and control nodes. Saddam Hussein should pay a grave price, in a currency that he understands and values, for his unacceptable behavior. This should not be a strike consisting only of a handful of cruise missiles hitting isolated targets primarily of presumed symbolic value." (Sen. John Kerry, Congressional Record, 11/9/97, pp. S12254 -S12255)

...and all along I thought Bush had "misled" him, which is one reason he is running for President. Gee, Kerry misled me!

Number of wars started by President Bush - 1
Number of wars started by President Clinton - 0
Number of wars started by President Kerry - 0

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: BDawg

Number of wars started by President Bush - 1
Number of wars started by President Clinton - 0
Number of wars started by President Kerry - 0

Number of wars started by President Bush - 2 and counting.
Number of wars started by President Clinton - 1 - Bosnia - oh and we are still there
Number of wars started by Senator Kerry - 2 - he voted for them

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein.He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an
oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Snipped from some right wing email...not sure what was ...'ed out :)

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein.He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an
oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ..."

Looks like someone's hypocrisy is showing.....

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Looks like someone's hypocrisy is showing.....
What Kerry actually said:
Second, without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime. We all know the litany of his offenses.

He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. He miscalculated an eight-year war with Iran. He miscalculated the invasion of Kuwait. He miscalculated America's response to that act of naked aggression. He miscalculated the result of setting oil rigs on fire. He miscalculated the impact of sending scuds into Israel and trying to assassinate an American President. He miscalculated his own military strength. He miscalculated the Arab world's response to his misconduct. And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction.

That is why the world, through the United Nations Security Council, has spoken with one voice, demanding that Iraq disclose its weapons programs and disarm.
So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but it is not new. It has been with us since the end of the Persian Gulf War.

Regrettably the current Administration failed to take the opportunity to bring this issue to the United Nations two years ago or immediately after September 11th, when we had such unity of spirit with our allies. When it finally did speak, it was with hasty war talk instead of a coherent call for Iraqi disarmament. And that made it possible for other Arab regimes to shift their focus to the perils of war for themselves rather than keeping the focus on the perils posed by Saddam's deadly arsenal. Indeed, for a time, the Administration's unilateralism, in effect, elevated Saddam in the eyes of his neighbors to a level he never would have achieved on his own, undermining America's standing with most of the coalition partners which had joined us in repelling the invasion of Kuwait a decade ago.

In U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441, the United Nations has now affirmed that Saddam Hussein must disarm or face the most serious consequences. Let me make it clear that the burden is resoundingly on Saddam Hussein to live up to the ceasefire agreement he signed and make clear to the world how he disposed of weapons he previously admitted to possessing. But the burden is also clearly on the Bush Administration to do the hard work of building a broad coalition at the U.N. and the necessary work of educating America about the rationale for war.

As I have said frequently and repeat here today, the United States should never go to war because it wants to, the United States should go to war because we have to. And we don't have to until we have exhausted the remedies available, built legitimacy and earned the consent of the American people, absent, of course, an imminent threat requiring urgent action.

The Administration must pass this test. I believe they must take the time to do the hard work of diplomacy. They must do a better job of making their case to the American people and to the world.
As always, if it shows up in your inbox, it's probably crap or misleading at best. There are several more of these.

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

Yet this is what Ted Kennedy said that day:

We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction. Our intelligence community is also deeply concerned about the acquisition of such weapons by Iran, North Korea, Libya, Syria and other nations. But information from the intelligence community over the past six months does not point to Iraq as an imminent threat to the United States or a major proliferator of weapons of mass destruction.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

What Gore actually said that day:

Nevertheless, all Americans should acknowledge that Iraq does indeed pose a serious threat to the stability of the Persian Gulf region, and we should be about the business of organizing an international coalition to eliminate his access to weapons of mass destruction. Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to completely deter, and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power. Now, let's be clear, there's no international law that can prevent the United States from taking action to protect our vital interests when it is manifestly clear that there is a choice to be made between law and our survival. Indeed, international law itself recognizes that such choices stay within the purview of all nations. I believe, however, that such a choice is not presented in the case of Iraq.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Ferocious
Can't you just sense the desperation the neocons are starting to have?

:D

Isn't this what you posted in the Dean threads? ...seems that any thread that isn't about Bush is "desperation."

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Isn't this what you posted in the Dean threads? ...seems that any thread that isn't about Bush is "desperation."
Why did you even post this? It took me exactly two seconds to Google the actual quotes.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

You quoted out of context with the intention of being misleading. In other words, you lied. And lying is always an act of desperation.

Or is that another lame attack?
rolleye.gif

You neocons need to be careful. A lot of moderates have grown very weary of your unprovoked attacks, insults, WWE-style debate techniques, blatant attempts to mislead, and downright lies. It's immature and old. They voted for GW in 2000 because they thought maybe you'd all shut up when you got the presidency back. You didn't and you won't. Don't expect the same favor here in 2004.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto

Why did you even post this? It took me exactly two seconds to Google the actual quotes.

Your post did win you a "google-cookie" for your exemplary performance and proficiency using Google...congratulations, sir!

Jan 12, 2003
Why did I post it? Because I think the record should reflect that Kerry thought Saddam had WMD long before Bush came to office, yet he said that Bush misled him, which is why he voted for the war...why did you post to this thread?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why did I post it? Because I think the record should reflect that Kerry thought Saddam had WMD long before Bush came to office, yet he said that Bush misled him, which is why he voted for the war...why did you post to this thread?

I think its more that Kerry didnt think Iraq was an imminent danger and Bush convinced him of it being so

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Because what you posted was intentionally misleading. Why didn't you just post the actual quote instead of some "FW: Kerry is the devil!" crap that showed up in your inbox? Look at what you posted and look at the last lines of the actual quote:
The Administration must pass this test. I believe they must take the time to do the hard work of diplomacy. They must do a better job of making their case to the American people and to the world.

The sentiment is just very slightly different, wouldn't you say?
rolleye.gif

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto

Your post did win you a "google-cookie" for your exemplary performance and proficiency using Google...congratulations, sir!

Do you deny that your qoutes were misleading and taken out of context? In thier entirety all those qoutes seem to indicate that Kerry and others did not think that war was neccessary due to some imminent threat.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

Were you aware that your post was misleading and taken out of context?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Why don't we ignore all the "yes, but" quotes and recognize this about Kerry:

1991: Voted No on war in Iraq
Today: Voted Yes.

Discuss :)

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Czar

I think its more that Kerry didnt think Iraq was an imminent danger and Bush convinced him of it being so

Oh, okay...I took "should authorize...totally destroy" differently. I must have overlooked the caveat.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Gaard

No...but I have since learned that every speech and quote from Clinton, Gore, and Kerry that shows they believe Saddam had WMD is, "in fact", taken "out of context." Funny how that works.

Jan 12, 2003
Why don't we ignore all the "yes, but" quotes and recognize this about Kerry:

1991: Voted No on war in Iraq
Today: Voted Yes.

Discuss :)

Either 1.) He's a ?waffler? or 2.) We have seen Saddam use these WMD on his own people, thus more information has been made available to him since Gulf War I or 3.) Kerry is so gullible and naive that he believes everything that is told to him and can?t formulate an opinion without some political poll. Take your pick, sir.

APOLOGISTS, UNITE!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard

No...but I have since learned that every speech and quote from Clinton, Gore, and Kerry that shows they believe Saddam had WMD is, "in fact", taken "out of context." Funny how that works.
That's priceless. Only you could attempt to turn lame attempt at a smear campaign into some kind of liberal conspiracy to deceive us.
rolleye.gif

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I feel misled and deceived by this thread. :(
I just feel like I stepped in something I can't seem to get off the sole of my shoe.